Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:19:24 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 76356 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #150 - 05/06/14 at 02:30:34

Speaking of cymbals; the XLR upgrade on my ZMA with the Oppo brought my cymbals to life. I'm not saying as much as the DS DAC, but the XLR helped bring it from a single note sizzle sound to more of a brassy roar/crash/sizzle. It's still not as detailed as real cymbals, but better.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 05/06/14 at 02:48:18

@ LR - interesting observation, I'm sure the whole chain has some effect to an extent.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #152 - 05/17/14 at 01:26:38

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 05/17/14 at 02:40:00

Very favorable review.  The PSA PW Dac mkii is already a great DAC (I have yet to hear something better in my system), so I haven't had the urge to upgrade.  Maybe I should stop reading all the positive impressions/reviews of the DirecStream, because it is making me think a little more than I wanted to about an upgrade...

It shouldn't be too long until you have one in your system Lon.  Looking forward to your impressions.

Cheers,
David

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #154 - 05/17/14 at 02:54:50

Hey David,

Yeah, the Mk 2 sounds amazing in my system too, has made everything else shrivel in comparison, only the ZP3 is not ashamed.

I figure about a month more to wait before I send one of my Mk 2s in for the rebuild.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 05/17/14 at 03:43:36

Lon,

I have been buying lots of cds lately, and quite frankly, I don't plan to stop.  Purchasing vinyl has come to a halt aside from a few purchases here and there, since I took down my turntable(s).  I haven't been all that impressed with HD downloads (IMHO the HD gems are all remasters).  Net…a device that makes cds sound even better than they already do on the PW ADC is appealing to me.  Redbook is the format I expect to be spinning for the next 5 years (min).  

That said, I think I need to upgrade speakers (MG944's) prior to source.  I will get to hear the HR-1's in person in < 1 month and I heard a lot of great speakers at Axpona (most out of my price range).  In my experience audible memory isn't as short as folks may say, so I expect the HR-1 comparison vs. my own system and the systems I heard at Axpona last month will be straightforward (if not, Steve has 944's, so I can at least compare vs. my current system).

All that said, I likely need to chill out, because my system sounds so good right now.  I can sit for hours and just listen.  I really should get off of the merry go round.   Unfortunately, I have the urge to experiment and learn more, even if it doesn't improve my current experience.  Maybe it's just human nature to experiment.      

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #156 - 05/17/14 at 12:06:44

Dave, I know that urge well. We should be content, but we want to experiment. I both push that aside when I can and wallow in it when I can't. I suspect most of us here have it and that's a big common thread.

I'm still buying a lot of cds and to a lesser extent lps. Before I got the ZP3 I would have been able to pack my turntable up again, but the ZP3 and Rega combo honestly offers something completely different and at times superior to my digiatl front end. I love listening to it, and love having that alternative sonic experience. The good news there is I have no itch to upgrade, the sound is just right indeed for me, very satisfying.

You may be on to something in that the speakers may be your next step. The HR-1s are definitely going to impress you.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #157 - 05/17/14 at 19:36:50

I like this part, it reminds me very much of what the ZMA and other Decware amps do when the "speed" is *right*.

Quote:
Finally, I asked Smith the following question: ‘Ted, because I was a drummer long ago, I use percussion (cymbals, drums, etc.) to listen carefully (for testing purposes) because I know personally how they really sound live. My father played piano throughout my childhood so that instrument too I tend to use. What instruments (if any) do you find helpful in assessing sound quality, and did you use any in “fine-tuning” the DS?’

Smith: ‘Howdy Karl: I agree that of the sounds we can hear (and process) the best are the ones we have large amounts of experience with. I’ve played clarinet, trombone in bands, played piano, sung in choirs, and hence the instruments in a band, piano and voice are very useful for me personally. But in truth, after a while I just see whether a potential hardware or software change makes me want to tap my feet. When I have friends over I pay less attention to what they say than to their expressions while listening. In the last few months before production Paul and some of his associates listened to the DAC carefully and made suggestions to me as to what they thought it might be missing or how it could be improved. I translated that into potential technical changes and if those changes lead to a more technically correct DAC and kept my feet tapping I was happy to implement them: e.g. removing capacitors that were just there for EMI protection that weren’t actually needed for that or laying things out in the FPGA a little more carefully to avoid crosstalk with the output signals, etc.’

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 05/18/14 at 10:22:44

Nice review and it confirmed my admiration for the way the DirectStream does cymbals.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #159 - 05/20/14 at 00:02:39

I am doing this from my iPhone. I have been in the middle of a move the last 3 weeks. I just got my rig set up in my new Listening Room.

I just read a piece about Chords new battery Hugo DAC....very promising.
Things keep heating up!

I look forward to catching up on all the posts/threads very soon.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 05/20/14 at 00:25:07

@ Stone ... yes it is quickly becoming one of the sweethearts of the never ending DAC community, especially using the FPGA's that are becoming more prevalent on more of the higher end DACs such as the DirectStream.

I would like to add one more DAC that I have personally heard several times and really like and that is the McIntosh D100.  Though it uses the Sabre ESS0918 chip, it does not have the upper treble problems usually associated with it (at least that I have heard with it so far).  I know this chip can decode DSD and when I listen to the D100 I almost feel as if it is doing the same thing as the DirectStream in that is it so smooth that it is upsampling everything to DSD (although Mac is not admitting anything to this), but this is just an assumption that I'm making because of the refinement/smoothness/fullness that I'm hearing and I don't think that I'm the first person to come to this conclusion either.

So I highly recommend a listen to the D100 if you get the chance.  Considering the level of build quality and the sound that the D100 is putting out ... I'm still shaking my head that McIntosh released this component at $2500 msrp ~ which I know is not pocket change, but I believe this DAC to be on the level of the DirectStream (or not too many notches below the DS) and possibly even better than the AURALic Vega (which is one of my all time favs), but comes in way under in price comparison.  Of course YMMV, but I do believe that this may be the best bang for the buck McIntosh product that they've ever released and possibly one of the best DACs currently out there.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #161 - 05/30/14 at 13:48:32

This sounds much like the debate we have over preamp or not to preamp. It sounds like Paul has similar feelings and debate of weight vs detail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The preamp debate
Now that DirectStream’s are entering people’s systems the setup questions begin: chief among them is direct to the amp or through a preamp?  This is not an easy question because it is so system and user dependent.

When I travel to show our products I never carry a preamp.  Lugging a DirectStream with me is challenging enough, but the added trouble of hauling my preamp just isn’t worth it. And it isn’t worth it because there’s really little sonic advantage to doing so.

In Music Room One I have a preamp: a tube preamp to be exact.  And I vacillate between the euphonics of keeping the preamp in the system and the accuracy and revealing qualities of going directly into the amplifier.  Both have their advantages.

On the one hand a preamp, at least in this main system, seems to bring body and a sort of realism to instruments and voices, yet also seems to subtly mask some of what’s in the music.  Going direct doesn’t make me feel like there’s any less body, it sounds natural all right, but there’s also a certain directness that is bewitching in its hold on the music.

I understand most of us want a simple answer: yes or no to going with or without a preamp. But I can’t help with this. Which preamp are we discussing? I have not heard them all.  What speakers?  What are your tastes?

No, I fear there’s no simple answer.  But I can tell you this, either way you go you’ll enjoy the music immensely.

And that’s what matters.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #162 - 05/30/14 at 13:58:52

This week I've been running the PerfectWave DAC Mk 2 directly into the Torii Mk III which I haven't done for several years. This allows me to use my one best interconnect into the Torii Mk III from the PWD Mk 2 directly rather than the next step down interconnect from VooDoo Cable from the PWD Mk 2 to the CSP2+ and the best interconnect from the CSP2+ into the Torii Mk III.

It's a trade off. I hear nearly exactly what Paul hears. The added plus in favor of the CSP2+ is the ability to tube roll (though after years of that I use the same input and driver tubes in the CSP2+ as I do input tubes in the Torii Mk III) and to tailor the sound with the input and output gains.

Sounds great either way. I'm far more familiar with the body and weight from the CSP2+ and may go back to that next week. We'll see. I still need the CSP2+ in the system because I need the SACD player and the ZP3 and the PWD Mk 2 to all go into the two inputs on the Torii Mk III. And it always contributes a satisfying sound.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 05/30/14 at 14:49:57

I think I mentioned I did a comparison of some digital front ends I own (Oppo/NAD/PW DAC) in another thread, and the areas I think the PW DAC excel are as follows:

-Detail (extremely detailed without any grain, etching or harshness in the treble.  The speed of the DAC also seems on par with Decware amps, if that makes any sense)

-Space (this is an area where I think this DAC really excels, but I find it difficult to describe in words.  It’s as if you are transported to the space in which the recording was made.  I think the sense of space really helps create a large soundstage and gives you a greater sense of depth.  I think the space contributes to the liquidity/musicality of the DAC because the natural decay you would hear from instruments is present.  I don’t know if any of that makes sense.  Overall it’s a very musical DAC and gets your foot tapping)

-Timbre/Tone (instruments sound as they should…natural tone, timber and liquidity)

That said, compared to my Oppo BDP-93, the PW DAC lacked weight and body.  This was the one area where I felt the Oppo was better and why in a previous post I wouldn’t describe my Oppo as thin.  In fact, I would say the PW DAC is thin in comparison to the Oppo.  

This got me thinking that maybe a pre-amp would help provide the best experience with the PW Dac (I think you have been saying this forever, but I guess I needed to hear it for myself).  It seems like a reasonable trade off…giving up a little detail (which there is a ton of) for some weight and body (which seems to be a little lacking).  

I am first going to try the XLR inputs on my ZMA (I finally ordered an Anti-cable XLR interconnect so I can do a single variable comparison vs. my Anti-cable RCA), but there may be a CSP3 in my future.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #164 - 05/30/14 at 15:50:03

Interesting. I wouldn't say that the PWD Mk II in my system is thin. I haven't heard an Oppo 93, but I've heard a 95SE, a 103 and a 105, and they sound to me in my system thnner than the PWD Mk II. If anything I think that the PWD Mk II may have a bit of low or mid bass thickness, as if it doesn't quite have the control of the lower frequencies the way that it does of the mid and high frequencies. With the CSP2+ controls I can ameliorate this a bit and also get a bit more weight and body to the midrange, which suits my speakers well.(Not also that my CSP2+ has the beeswax caps, and I agree with will that without that upgrade the CSP2+ has a bit of a signature of its own that I would say favors weight and body a hair, whereas with the cap ugrade it's more neutral and transparent by a hair).

One factor too is that my PWD Mk IIs have very early firmware and I like it. Perhaps that's a factor?

I'm eager to hear how the DirectStream DAC sounds both with and without the CSP2+.

I'm sure you would like the CSP3, but it's also a good idea to try the XLR transformer output to, that may just give you that little bit you're lacking!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #165 - 05/30/14 at 19:38:58

Actually Dave, taking into account your observations and doing a little more varied listening today I think I can hear that thinness you are talking of. The CSP2+ does flesh this out but does compress the overall width of the soundstage just a tiny bit and probably by obscuring details a tad. Or it could be cabling related as well, haven't eliminated that yet. I still feel that the Oppos I've heard are plagued with thinness, maybe a bit different, possibly a bleaching of the lower midrange, but I'm relying on audio memory--I think mine is pretty well-trained but it's far from perfect.

I did a little isolation component adjustment and the sound of the PWD Mk 2 directly into the Torii Mk III is stunning on some sources, and a bit better with the CSP2+ in the system on others. It's a bit fun today to experiment as I'm in a mellow mood after a late night of fun and an okay morning at my parents' place.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #166 - 05/30/14 at 19:49:01

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 05/30/14 at 22:31:17

Lon…I didn’t even think about firmware.  If I recall correctly, I have version 2.4.3 installed.  I will check when I get home.  What version are you using?

I did the last DAC firmware update pre-ZMA.  I remember reading in the PS Audio forums that some people were experiencing a thinner sound with 2.4.3, but I didn’t experience any thinness when I updated my firmware (SuperZen vs. ZMA).  It might be time for me to do a DAC firmware comparison with the ZMA.  

What’s interesting is that overall I wouldn’t describe my system as thin or lacking body (and I don’t think anyone else who has heard it would either), but when comparing the two front ends, it couldn’t be more obvious that the Oppo has a lot more weight/body.  

I think I need to get a better sense for how close both of these devices are to ‘Just about right’ for weight/body.  As in, is it possible that the Oppo has a little (or much) too much weight/body.  I do remember taking notes when listening to a Keb Mo track (when he hit the body of the guitar) that it sounded slightly unnatural/bloated, so maybe that’s what is going on here.

In summary, I clearly need to do some more experimentation…

Thanks for experimenting with your setup and providing observations. I always find these to be helpful.  As I experiment further, I will post my learning.

Also, thanks for posting links to the latest DS review.  I look forward to reading.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #168 - 05/30/14 at 22:41:21

Dave, I don't remember specifically what the firmware was but it's very early if not the earliest. I did one update a few years ago, prefered the original configuration and went back to that, have never touched them again on either PWD I have, and both had the same firmware.

That's an interesting review of the DS. Makes me anxious to hear it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #169 - 06/10/14 at 15:14:45

6moons review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/psaudio/1.html

They come to bold and extremely positive conclusions.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 06/10/14 at 16:40:38

I really love the simplicity of Ted Smith's design.  No doubt this is one of the best DACs I've personally heard and would be within my top 5 if I had the coin.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #171 - 06/10/14 at 16:43:50

Ugh, I want one so bad! I wonder if Brianne would still love me with only one kidney.

And no car.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 06/10/14 at 19:27:58

Quote:
LR said,
Ugh, I want one so bad! I wonder if Brianne would still love me with only one kidney.

And no car.

LOL!!! Grin

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #173 - 06/24/14 at 00:30:53

Saw Paul and the DirectStream at the Chicago Audio Society meet yesterday. I found out about this last minute and drove up with Brianne. Paul was great as always, and I got to poke at the DS myself, and put it up against an Oppo BDP-105. Yeah, the DirectStream crushed the Oppo, and is the closest to tape I've heard so far.

Sorry for the crappy video, it was done on a camera phone - I'm trying to figure out how to bump up the quality a bit, but I really don't upload videos to you tube often.

http://youtu.be/okG-pRzz1w4

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 06/24/14 at 00:36:20

Nice that you got to hear it! I'm going to be sending one of my DAC Mk 2s back to be converted to the DS soon. (Though I won't be listening til after July 20, as I'm getting two weeks off from the dreadful monotony of my "job" here starting July 5 and going to Texas for a bit then spending a few days with my new gf here).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #175 - 06/24/14 at 02:57:58

I look forward to your impressions Lon. I plan to buy one.

Cool LR, 58 Buddy Holly from Redbook per Paul!

.....reading the 6moons review..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #176 - 06/24/14 at 03:39:35

It 's all about the Redbook! Our CD collections will thank us Lon!!!! I for one look forward to using it with an without my CSP3. The 3 is so damn transparent an dynamic! I am currently enjoying it with my SE84CS....then to my CKC next. Then of course, back to my ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #177 - 06/24/14 at 13:17:51

Well we'll see. My PS Audio DAC Mk 2 amazes me still, it's hard to believe the full breadth of the hype of this new DS. (That it crushes an Oppo and several other DACs doesn't necessarily impress me, I feel my DAC Mk 2 does as well).  But I want to be pleased with it.  We'll see.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #178 - 06/24/14 at 14:09:03

Yes, I will readily admit I should have given my combo (the Tport an DAC Mk2) more time. So I would be skeptical too Lon...in your shoes.

However, I did not have the original Firmware that you have. The current Firmware I had and the current Firmware that was available last August...I was not happy with. PS Audio does not offer "way back" Firmware. No surprise you and Dave were discussing this issue...in this thread.  A very common theme over on the PS Forums as well....not liking the current Firmware...can't go back at least 2 or 4 generations they or I would like...if I recall correctly.... .

In the current 6moons review you posted, I like how he makes it clear why should or why would their be a Firmware upgrade for the DSD DAC?!
However, if their is (in my opinion)....think twice about it and make sure you can go back...to Firmware you have (at least one generation back).

Here is another good one...skip part I (you know)...II an III are the goods.  

http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/2014/05/directstream-i.html

Opps, sorry...need more coffee....you posted the BlogSpot bitperfect above.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #179 - 06/24/14 at 14:30:43

Music Direct has access to new stock as of midnight today. I'm so tempted to order one!  I need to wait until fall. I will be buying one. I am excited about all the chatter here on the forum and other forums about the Cymbals sound an decay!  My Kimber Select does such a good job with Decware in fleshing this out further....add the DSD....lets roll baby! I like the fact the DSD DAC will accept everything with aplomb! I don't need the PS Transport buffer holder... .

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-209323-ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dsd-dac.as...

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #180 - 06/24/14 at 14:42:52

Well, I expect it to not be as amazing as all the hype, but it will still likely be a step up for me.

I love the Transport, I have two and they are not going anywere. They improve Redbook on everything I've tried it with (two SACD players that allow you to access their DACs--using the Transport in gave improved sound than using the internal transport in the SACD players.) I can see why you may not need it but I sure love mine.

Wait til fall, they'll work out the bugs and all will be well. I'm not that sure you would actually get one NOW if you ordered it now, that's not the picture I seem to be getting from the forums there, but maybe so. If you wait til fall though there may be several firmware changes. Smiley

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #181 - 06/24/14 at 15:08:35

So true on all counts Lon. Hey, thanks for the Audioshark Link from your post #147.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #182 - 06/24/14 at 15:21:44

Yes, nice to read actual users going through their experiences.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #183 - 06/24/14 at 15:37:13

Yes! Great thread at Audioshark.

The founder Mike and Administrator...what a Main System he has. Holy buckets on the TaraLabs Omega Gold Speaker Cables & TaraLabs 0.8 Interconnects too... .

Decware (SE84CS, Super Zen CKC an Zen Mystery Amplifier with CSP3) with Steve's custom cyroed Jupiter Bee's Wax Silver Lead Caps in the 3 an ZMA...CKC...with my Kimber Select RCA IC 1030 an Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable....and soon to have PS Audio DSD DAC....I'm not complaining here...... .  :)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #184 - 06/24/14 at 15:43:50

Yes, I don't envy anyone's system any longer. The seasoned Torii Mk III with Jupiter caps is perfect for me, the HR-1s are all the speakers I'll ever need, and I have two systems with these as the heartbeat! When the DSD arrives I'm sure it will sound fantastic straight into the Torii as the PWD Mk2 does--I tried that again on a lark some weeks back and I now can't reconfigure wtih the CSP2+ with Jupiter caps, the CSP2+ is not needed, I now have one for my SACD and ZP3 to go into the Torii, and one in my second system, and a third in the closet, just not needed in the main system as it used to be.

Decware owners have life GOOD.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #185 - 06/24/14 at 16:05:39

Yes, Decware owners have a good life. This is a good time for me to clear something up. The disdain people here and elsewhere, have, for High End Cables.

YOU don't need them in my 30 years of experience with high res Speakers. I own the Zen Styx and they are wonderfully competent into my Parker 95's (WITH Hovland Music Caps on each too)! I have never sold them and use them periodically with the Zen Styx in my main Rig! They are a little dry sounding...but on well recorded Blues the 95's are very nice.

However, having said this...I don't like the Parker's or ANY I've had in the high efficiency speaker realm for much else...for the Music I like. I just sold my RF-7 II Klipsch. IT does not make them wrong (high eff)...just wrong for me.

Now, when running the 3 pair of Speaker's I like and mate well with my Decware Amplifiers...I need my Kimber Select....it is a whole other level in musicality for me. .........For me.

I can respect every System here...and I do. I can also respect Mike's - System...the Forum Founder and Administrator at Audioshark.

http://audioshark.org/computer-digital-audio-11/ps-audio-directstream-dac-4438-p...

So, I've been to Decware 2005 and 08/love Steve's Amplifier's an Speakers...I've been part of the Minnesota Audio Society....I've heard the System's like Mike's. I feel I have put the best of both world's FOR ME...with Decware ... Kimber Select ....and the PS DSD DAC pending.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #186 - 06/24/14 at 16:19:15

I used the Zen Styx in my main system for years, and still use them everyday in the system I have at my parents'.

There are definitely better cables, and spending money will have some rewards. I didn't want to spend big bucks and tried the Mapleshade Double Helix Plus. Didn't know if they would better the Styx but they certainly did, I'm VERY happy with them in all manners. Some day I may try VooDoo Cable speaker cables as I believe that their interconnects are just amazing for the money. . . .

Anyway, some of us have the luxury of both time and money for seeking out the final percentages of sound. For those who don't, and for me when I didn't, the basic Decware items all work astonishingly well together and give one excellent excellent sound.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #187 - 06/25/14 at 15:07:27

No doubt Decware is top notch thru an thru.

Duly noted about not using the pre with the PS Audio DSD DAC (#184 post) when I get it. I will Listen to the DAC without my CSP3 for 150 hours before putting my 3 back in the chain.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #188 - 06/25/14 at 15:41:04

To be honest Stone, reading through the impressions of the DS it is like the PWD: should take more than 400, 500 hours maybe, to be really through burn-in and what it actually sounds like. It might actually be better to listen with the CSP3 for the first 400 and then try it without. . . .

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #189 - 06/25/14 at 16:04:07

Good point Lon. I was just reading over at Audioshark about doing just that and I made the mistake of not putting more hours on the MKII last August. ...So yes, 400 hours on it with the CSP3 then try it without...  I love the CSP3...for me it is sheer transparency and dynamic.

I just got off the phone with Music Direct....they have them in stock, in both Black and Silver! So ships today...... .  However, I need to wait until Friday to order. I will call Friday (I have a direct contact) and I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday next week....in my Rig!  

Damn the Torpedo's and full speed ahead.
Engage Mr. LaForge!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #190 - 06/25/14 at 16:17:22

Cool. The CSP is pretty transparent and dynamic. . . but. . . well I now prefer my PWD straight in and that's unexpected.

You'll be the first on the block with the DS. Yes, they need time, I think the PWD would have impressed you more with a few more weeks. I think you'll take the DS to the distance!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #191 - 06/25/14 at 16:53:44

I will take it the distance. I put 481 hours on my ZMA and 118 on my CSP3 before I stopped recording/counting. I will monitor an enjoy every step of the way with the DSD DAC.

I like the credibility reviews of the DSD over at Audioshark. They know it is for Redbook improvement. I also enjoy the talk of it equaling a DAC when decoding Redbook that is 4X its price.

I wish it was only $3800. However, food and gas prices since the summer of 2005 have doubled....so why shouldn't the price of a dragon slayer state of the art DAC damn near double too.  They will raise the price of this DAC and the upgrade kit by fall I speculate. It is happening now...for me...I will report back with any initial impressions late next week.   -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #192 - 06/25/14 at 18:05:55

I forgot to mention....pretty darn excited too!  

Yes, I will also contain my honeymoon excitement. The real test will be as it was for the Zen Mystery Amp at 500+ hours; do I love it = yes. The ZMA passed with flying colors.

My hope is the same enthusiasm for the DSD DAC at 500+ hours (I have for my ZMA), decoding most of my CD collection with musicality expected.  -Cheers

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #193 - 06/25/14 at 18:44:58

From what I heard this weekend, I don't doubt you'll like the DS. It played music with ease and neutrality, but still with all the detail you can imagine. I couldn't tell if it had a good sense of space because people kept talking during the demos - but the reviews say this is good as well.

Comparing it to the Oppo BDP-105, the Oppo sounded good, but the DS sounded GREAT. The image the DS throws was much larger compared to the Oppo. As soon as we switched to the Oppo, it sounded good, but everything sounded flat, like it was a 2' deep image 12' wide rather than being 12' deep and 12' wide.

Edit to add: I think the DS was connected to the amp (don't even know what it was) via RCA. I'm pretty sure though that the DS connected via XLR to the Mystery Amp would have the presence and density that would bring it closer to the analog sound of 1/4" two track tape. I look forward to hearing how this works for you...I'm scheming to get a DS myself. If I can find 12 months same as cash financing somewhere, I'd be on the waiting list.  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #194 - 06/25/14 at 21:44:24

LR, you know you have to get one and thanks for these observations. I would have got there on the spur of the moment too if I were closer (the Audio Society Meet). We will be enjoying  it for a very long time. I am very fortunate to pull it off now. I might have to use my Select an CKC for awhile and get my ZMA back to Steve for XLR.

I keep telling myself I don't need XLR...but I have to hear it.

I propose this: Sometime in August or September, I drive down to your place, Palomino's place or to Steve's with...

DSD DAC
Kimber Select IC & Speaker Cable
Two pair of my Speakers

I would like to compare what I like to hear to what you guys like to hear. I think a lot of good could come from this!  I will either be keeping what I have...OR...selling my stuff on Audiogon or just adding some High Efficiency Speakers to my rotation... .

I know, I know...I just said above/a couple posts up, I don't like Hi-eff Speaks'....but I keep an open mind==and try all combinations a dozen times and again a year or two later.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #195 - 06/26/14 at 17:47:43

Ordered!

In stealthy Black finish!

I received my Invoice....FedEx tracking coming later. I might have it Saturday....FedEx has Saturday res....delivery. Probably Monday delivery...but I might get lucky on out for delivery on Saturday...I won't hold my breath... .  No worries...... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #196 - 06/26/14 at 18:32:41

Awesome. This is going to be great to hear about.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #197 - 06/26/14 at 19:55:11

Congrats! I'm really looking forward to your report on it!

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 06/26/14 at 21:20:32

+1 to Lon and LR ... please report back after  you get some hours on it! Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #199 - 06/26/14 at 22:15:03

It will be fun to passively be in other rooms and hear it ...let it cook... .  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3