Terminating cables (Read 27327 times)
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Terminating cables
02/11/14 at 13:16:10

Hello all,
Any one have any good ideas for DIY terminations on bare wire zstyx??  I would prefer banana clips for ease of movement. Any and all advice is much appreciated..
Thanks,
Mulenut

Decware SE84CKC, Decware DM945, Decware ZSTYX, Decware studio grade interconnects, PRO-JECT Debut Carbon TT, Pro-Ject Tube Box
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Re: Terminating cables
Reply #1 - 02/15/14 at 15:17:38

parts express sells some locking bananas that will take size 8 wire , not the 50 dollar /pc MBT's but will do

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/14 at 07:33:59

Mine are naked... I prefer the sound for sure with no terminations.  This paper gives a good argument for bare wires opposed to bananas or even spades.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/17/14 at 13:02:24

The Styx are VERY HARD to use with no terminations though, they're THICK! Most amp or speaker connections won't be able to accomodate them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #4 - 02/17/14 at 13:59:20

I am finding that the binding posts both on the SE84 and the DM945's don't want to stay tightened on the bare ends....

Decware SE84CKC, Decware DM945, Decware ZSTYX, Decware studio grade interconnects, PRO-JECT Debut Carbon TT, Pro-Ject Tube Box
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/17/14 at 15:02:58

I couldn't get them to stay tight either. I ended up getting what Radio Shack calls "Ring Terminals"--they have one that the crimpable portion is wide enough for the Styx width. Not gold plated or fancy copper, but they work, and I could not really swear I heard a distinct difference between these and using bare Styx ends.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/17/14 at 15:09:37

Quote:
I am finding that the binding posts both on the SE84 and the DM945's don't want to stay tightened on the bare ends....

I go around about once a month and make sure all my binding posts are hand tight. Just seems to be the nature of the beast when using bare ends.

I agree with beowulf however. I went all bare ends on my speaker cables a few years back. I actually removed the expensive banana ends from my long used cables and felt there was an immediate improvement in Clarity.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/17/14 at 15:27:48

I am using bare ends now with the Mapleshade Double Helix that I replaced the Styx with in my main system. But I could not make the bare ends really reliably work in my system with the Styx. It's the most challenging speaker wire I've ever encountered in that regard.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/19/14 at 07:25:09

I think my cables are fairly thick, but not quite as thick as the Styx.  Like DBC I go about tightening them every so often, however after the first few times I find they need less and less attention.  This paper/study gives a good argument to go with bare terminations.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 02/24/14 at 17:18:02

I too, advise the bare connection, but only if it is feasible with the binding posts. If not, and you decide to crimp a connector onto the end, I advise that you use contact enhancer on the bare wire first before crimping. I use a silver paste made by Mapleshade.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #10 - 02/26/14 at 13:47:47

After reading the paper that was posted and hearing all of the good advice...I'm guessing that bare ends may be the answer.  Thanks for all of the info and advice.

Peace.

G$

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #11 - 04/06/15 at 18:04:05

Those who have used the Zstyx...Are you still using them, and why?  Or, have you gone another direction and why?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/06/15 at 18:36:11

I'm using them but not in my main system. I moved them out because I just kept chasing brigthiness in my system. I moved interconnects out that were aiding or abetting brigthness (including the Decware Silver Reference) and the more PS Audio AC-12 power cords I put in, that helped. It got down to the Zen Styx being the only wiring yet to change, and an audiophile recommended I try Mapleshade, and said though it may seem they were thin and bright they aren't. So I tried Mapleshade Double Helix Plus. They were never bright, but they were thin for a few weeks but since breakin they were the first set of speaker cables that just seemed as if they weren't there. I like the Styx a lot, but I'm sold on the Mapleshade Double Helix Plus in the main system, no connectors.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 05/14/18 at 03:37:41

Lon.  I know this thread is old but I have a question about the mapleshade double helix plus. Looking at their website, the picture that they show of it isn't real clear, but it looks like it is terminated with a long pin looking connector. How did yours look on the ends when you bought it.

Thanks, Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 05/14/18 at 03:45:24

Hey Geno,

No, not a long pin-like connector, just bare wire that is "tinned" (or at least that is how it appears to me, it may be the "silver-coating" that they talk about). So it's really a bare-wire connection. . . . Works really well.  I'm using this in my second system now between Torii Mk III and Trapeziums.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 05/14/18 at 17:15:55

Yep, Mine are just bare wire.
I really do like how they sound even though I've been told that they look "Ghetto" by someone who will go unnamed (who's initials are LR).

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16 - 05/16/18 at 17:20:41

I use my Mapleshade dbl helix - bare baby!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print