Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:57:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage Regulater & Rectifier Tube Replacement (Read 9830 times)
bokat57
Ex Member

Voltage Regulater & Rectifier Tube Replacement
02/05/14 at 00:58:15

Hi

I bought the Mini Torii 2 amp last year. When do you guys replace the VR & rectifier tubes ?

Should the VR and rectifier tubes be replaced when the power and signal tubes are replaced or is there a years of service replacement schedule for the tubes in question ?

Perhaps there is another way.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Voltage Regulater & Rectifier Tube Replacement
Reply #1 - 02/05/14 at 01:05:09

Bob, properly cared for and fed ( Wink ) VR and Rectifier tubes can last many many years. Many never replace them, some "roll" them often. Every now and then one might fail.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/05/14 at 05:07:17

Hi

Can I assume as long as VR & Rectifier tubes are lit they are working normally ?

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/05/14 at 05:10:31

Generally speaking that's likely true. Of course, listen for hissing or static sounds, or a distortion to the playback as signs that they may be weary or worn or needing of a trip to the ER.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/05/14 at 05:38:12

Thank You ! Lon

IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/05/14 at 16:04:16

the VR and rectifier tubes are reasonably cheap  it can be fun to buy some variations and try them for a different sound

Mini Torii w/ 1940's Brimar 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
VPI HW-19 mk iv
Chromecast Audio Streamer
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/06/14 at 00:22:25

Hi grinnell

Can I use VR & Rectifier tubes besides the stock 0a3,0c2,EZ81 tubes that came with MT2 ?

How does this work ? What is the rule of thumb that determines what VR's and Rectifiers I could use beside the stock tubes ?

My concern is would using non-stock tubes cause undue stress etc. on the power and signal tubes ?

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/06/14 at 01:16:08

From the mini torii product page:
Your amp will ship with an OA3 Voltage Regulator tube for each channel.  This is the best performance of the four.  The remaining three (OB3,OC3,OD3) can be used to take the tube rolling experience to a deeper level. The four voltage regulator tubes above all modify the operating points of the output tubes they supply high voltage to. This in turn changes the way the output tube sounds.

I have have always stuck with the OC2, but I did get a couple of spares.  I would stay with the same rectifier tube that shipped with your amp. There is nothing wrong with trying/having different brands/NOS of that tube.

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/06/14 at 02:46:50

Hi Busterfree

I forgot about that product page information, thanks for reminding me. Your thoughts in the second paragraph are noted.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/06/14 at 15:53:49

boka,

"best performance" in Steve's opinion, and in his very well treated room, and with the speakers he tested the amp with....this would all be true.

But whether you like this in your room and with your gear becomes the question. In the big Toriis, with the OA3s, you can really tune the general push of the amp sound to tastes. I can't imagine that the effects are not similar in the MT. Steve would not have offered this option of rolling compatible tubes if it had been possibly detrimental to the amp. We just have to be sure to use compatible tubes.

With the big VRs, though they vary soundwise within vintage and make, the voltage of each is rated the same, so they will drive the power tubes similarly by type. Within the tonal variation depending on vintage and construction, the OA3 will push the power tubes the hardest, giving you the most sense of push and density. If you would prefer a slightly leaner, less driving sound, the OB3 is a valid adjustment to provide that. And progressively the OC3 and OD3 will open things up more and reduce density.

The OC2 to OB2 has a similar effect, but on the input tubes. In my big torii going to and OB2 sounds cool, but finally to me has too much effect for leaning things up, but it all depends what you want and where you are starting from sound-wise.

There are bound to be threads here that offer opinions of rectifiers, power tubes and inputs in the MT, and how different ones effect the sound, also valid areas for adjusting the sound to taste. It just depends how deep you want to go. The stock tubes always sound really good, but you can go further with rolling if it suits you, and refine to your environment, system and tastes.

The bottom line to me....especially with VRs, they do relatively specific things to the sound and can be very useful if what they do is what you need. If you have too much density overall, or the low to mid-bass is too dense and heavy, or if your sound feels a bit in your face, depending on how much change you want, trying an OB3, OC3, may be worth it. This is how it works in the Big Brother Torii, and presumably like-wise with yours.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/06/14 at 17:46:51

Hi Will

Thank You for sharing that useful information with me.

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print