Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 05:45:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about how to set up your gear (Read 10168 times)
jorgen
Seasoned Member

question about how to set up your gear
01/29/14 at 22:03:57

Hey everyone
I am wondering about something, the traditional way to place amp, source and other stuff is in a rack or on the floor between the speakers, does that really matter? As in, can a place my speakers tradionally, for instance on both sides of a sofa or something, and the other "stuff maybe further to one side. Is it important to have it between speakers? If so, how come? This might be a really stupid question, but in my very limited insight I really cant understand why. of course length of speaker cables is the same. ALSO, if a relevant factor, i play mainly at a low volume, SO if anyone has some insight, please share!

Jorgen

PS; soon i will have the music playing, decware style

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: question about how to set up your gear
Reply #1 - 01/29/14 at 23:03:39

Anywhere is fine, some place the kit on a side wall.
As you mentioned, length of speaker wire is the only concern.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/14 at 23:32:33

Hi Lin
Thanks for your resonse!
Seems to me there is a lot of truths out there that needs to be challenged, sorry that i dnt have the skills to see through the voodoo. goodthing there are people to ask

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/29/14 at 23:48:35

Jorgen,
To quote a Ginger Baker lyric from a song by Blind Faith, "Do what you like."

I would think the IDEAL set up would be . . . nothing between the speakers. That's pretty hard to achieve.

There's something I like to see now and then and do here now and then: if it sounds good, it IS good.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/14 at 11:57:08

Lon.
I too like to quote lyrics.

Im in the (fortunate) position that I for every day listening, when just walking around the house, doing nothing and everything speakers will be placed to fit in with furniture, and looking nice and neat, when all alone or when there will be "hardcore" listening sessions I have the opportunity to easily move speakers away from obstacles, and place a comfy chair in the ideal listening position.
The reason i asked the question was a youtube video where this guy stated that it is important to place amps and stuff not only in between speakers but also on the floor (instead of in a rack), he just stated that this would give an effect on soundstage and 3D /depth.
No worries then

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/09/14 at 19:58:39

I got one more question for you guys out there. Lately I have been thinking about if its a good idea to add a sub in my system. What are the pros cons? How would I if I get one connect that to the MT?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 02/10/14 at 01:13:36

Jorgen, don't believe everything you read in the Internet.

There's nothing wrong with using a SUB with the Mini-Torii, it'll depend on your stereo speakers' specs whether you need one or not.

I prefer to use the Mini-Torri's pre-outs to hook up my Velodyne active SUB.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/14 at 08:52:21

Fireblade: Speakers will be Omega custom, 32 liter cab with a 7"alnico driver.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #8 - 02/10/14 at 12:06:19

I'd wait until you have confirmation that you need a Sub with your system. Burning-in and placement, as well as hearing your chosen speaker model in your setup will determine if you actually need it. There's no point in ordering a Sub beforehand, you may not need it.

Having said that, if you really appreciate more bass than normal, then it would not hurt to have a Sub anyway. These go deeper in frequencies than your regular loudspeakers. I'm not familiar with the custom speaker specs you describe so unless you hear from someone actually owning it, I'd wait.

IMO, the Mini-Torri doesn't exactly excel in bass reproduction, but it doesn't lag in that aspect either. It could well be that the combination will resolve the lower frequencies to your satisfaction without a Sub.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print