Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:04:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DM945 w/ the Decware companion cabinets (Read 7315 times)
Greg12
Seasoned Member

DM945 w/ the Decware companion cabinets
01/10/14 at 02:03:21

So a forum member here asked me for my impressions of the combo.  I haven't opined yet on them yet because my rig is all pretty much new and unfamiliar to me.  7 months ago I received the Torii MK3.  Everything else,  DM945/Cab's,  Oppo 105 and a Pro-Ject 5.1 turntable I've only had for around 3-4 months.  It all has replaced a SS stereo system that I had slowly put together and used over the course of 15yrs or more.  Adding a piece here and there to a seasoned system didn't prepare me for replacing everything almost overnight so to speak.

I have been posting to the good people here many times asking for advice on tubes to try and make improvements to the sound I had been getting as I just hadn't been very satisfied.  I just wasn't completely impressed,  not like I thought I should be given how much green I had just spent.

Well within the last week or so something clicked and man, I have been grinning ever since.  Finally, the sound that I have  een reading people here seems to have finally arrived to my humble abode.  I think I just had too much new stuff breaking in all at once and I wasn't used to the break in process.  Man it's a long one..  

So, that my story.  Now onto the speaker/cab's.  As I told Palomino,  all this wonderful sound I'm now getting has to go thru the speakers before it hits ones ears.  So based on that, I'd say the combo is passing it all thru in spades.  Treble has never sounded anywhere near as natural,  not harsh yet super detailed.  Midrange,  the same.  I was listening just now to Rosanne and Johnny Cash sing September When it Comes.  Instead of mixed together in the middle, they now are side by side.  Totally separated, amazing presence. I could throw plenty of hyperbole your way and I'd mean every word of it. Beautiful.

Now for the bass.  I have a small 11X 13ft room, with the speakers on the long wall.  I cannot pull the spkrs out more then 18" because they are just in the way.  So I settled on 14".  Now the bass tends to be sorta boomy, no matter the tube combo.  However, I put and old sweatshirt into the floor level horns in the rear of each cabinets, doesn't fill the horn completely, just enough to tame the boom.  It really provides a detailed, clean yet still amply deep bass that blends perfectly w/ the rest of the freq's.  Thinking of how drummers do a similar thing w/ a blanket in the bass drum. gave me that idea.  Just another example of how Decware gear is eminently adaptable to ones other gear and room dimensions.

So happy am I with the DM945's and their Decware companion cabinet.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Re: DM945 w/ the Decware companion cabinets
Reply #1 - 01/13/14 at 13:49:24

I just finished reading Lon's thread on his new HR-1's and how they need time to break in.  Makes me wonder if that great change for the better i just went thru was my DM945's finally breaking in.  I am probably somewhere near the 500 hour mark that Lon suggests Decware speakers need before sounding their best.  

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/13/14 at 14:31:35

Greg, that's really possible. Just my experience, but I've had two incarnations of one of the Radials (RL-1s that became RL-2s) and the ERR and two pairs of HR-1 and they have all needed 500 to 1000 hours to really become what they will be, awesome to the nines. Now that doesn't mean they sound awful until then, but they just keep getting better and better and after a few years of use they just become MONSTERS at dishing out sound.

Sitting here in my parents' living room listening to my ERRs right now, they just sound wonderful, and with a rather modest source. (Want to fix that but have a challenge: have to have a five or six disc changer! Really don't know if there's an appreciable step up from the Deoon Dad has).

Anyway, glad that your speakers are really delivering!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/14 at 14:34:14

Thank you Lon.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 01/13/14 at 16:58:53

I hope that holds true with the MG944 as well - I've got a couple hundred on mine with the 2 watt Zen amp (not sure if that really counts as breaking in due to the low wattage!). I'm looking forward to them sounding better, or more specifically, more 3 dimensional.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print