Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:58:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii Left channel (Read 9672 times)
Solace714
Verified Member

Mini Torii Left channel
12/30/13 at 01:32:15

hi all, i need some help to determine if i'm doing something wrong. my left channel ez81 tube died a week after i received my MT. so i replaced it and now a few months later it started sparking inside the tube. so i replaced it again. but it's always the same tube so i am wondering if i'm just that unlucky or is there an issue with the MT itself?

thank you for any help,
mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mini Torii Left channel
Reply #1 - 12/30/13 at 01:39:30

Sounds as if it could be an issue with that channel of the amp, perhaps the tube socket is shorting a bit somehow. I think a call to Steve is in order I'm afraid. . . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #2 - 12/30/13 at 04:16:58

If it's a JJ EZ81 it's almost DEFINITELY the tube itself....a bunch of others with MT's have had this same issue. I'd get a different brand rectifier tube if you can. Almost any other NOS rectifier will be more reliable than that particular JJ tube..

If your not using a JJ tube anymore.....then hit Steve up when you can. Good luck...I've been there and it's no fun but hopefully you can resolve the issue soon Smiley

IP Logged
Solace714
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/30/13 at 06:16:05

ok thanks guys. i did try an electro-harmonix to replace the jj but that's the one sparking recently.
i've also gotten static from both channels but i just turn it off and on and it goes away. sometimes there's a high pitch whine coming from the amp also and i turn off and on.
i'll call in about it after the holidays then.

IP Logged
Solace714
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/10/14 at 03:50:24

Steve's reply:

"Hi Mike,

There is nothing wrong with your Mini Torii.  JJ has been having issues with this tube recently.  The solution is to find yourself a pair of N.O.S. (new old stock) replacements.  If you need help, let me know and I can locate some for you.

Thanks,"

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/14 at 16:46:35

Hi there, I have had issues with 6x4 whining in my mini torii, after around half an hour of use. I believe this issue was addressed on the forum, can't remeber where. Some 6x4 are rated for higher current, or for use at higher altitudes ? Smiley

I have a few pairs of 6x4, some squeal, some don't. Sylvania and Philips do. Jan wa and GE don't.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/14 at 16:26:09

Hi guys
A few dags ago I noticed a low volume sound coming from the left side of the amp. It comes and goes a little but when present it lasts for å period of time. The sound is of a very high frequency. Best way to describe I guess is like lasting piiip or whine (wow, what a good description, i dont really have the vocabulary I need here ) ...
Does not affect sound or quality. I turned amp off. Later it wasnt present, but today again i heard it. It seems that If i touch the amp it sometimes goes away for å few seconds. Also i have Noticed that it appears when the amp is proper warm, but im not sure. ...
Any ideas? Troubleshooting recommendations?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/09/14 at 19:46:58

It's the OC2 I think...they can create this sound during normal operation. Or maybe swap out some others. I can't remember if they all do it from time to time or not.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/10/14 at 08:38:07

Hi
found that sound again a few days ago, actually i think i have located it to be the EZ90 tube (not sure if that is the stock tube of my MT, could be Decware supplied me with an alternative, but looked now at the picture on the website and its that tube) so i guess i will buy a couple of tubes for backup on that tube. That said; it can be another tube, so maybe I should get a few more spares...  Tube rolling in the future.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print