Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:49:16 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Frustrating SET Bashers (Read 3961 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Frustrating SET Bashers
Reply #50 - 01/06/14 at 00:17:32

Digger, thanks for sharing your impressions. Pangaea have been getting good reviews, and their designer had a big hand in the PS Audio cables I love, and they share some design and component features. Glad you are enjoying them! My guess is that they'll shift in sound a little and then stabilize at about 250 to 300 hours or so.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 01/06/14 at 01:07:08

Lon,

Thanks for the info. During the time I've had to listen a few hours at a time they have seemed to change a bit but don't really know where there heading. Slightly different each time I have powered things up at least that has been my perception with them. These look to be very well made and fit my budget for the time being. Really didn't know what to expect with upgraded power cords but definitely worth the investment looking at it as a longer term one. I haven't flipped systems much over the years and my only next possible upgrade would be the MA. I hope to be able to do that in the future. There would be one other option possibly if I decide to run a second tube system and that would be the Torri Mark III or IV depending if I wanted to keep this tube set up for the higher volume capability and use the Torri for more critical listening instead of the MA.

Hope you had a good weekend!

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 01/06/14 at 01:37:06

One good thing about upgrading power cords is. . . you can use them with other amps or components.

My weekend was okay. I actually have more time off during the week when we pay two gals to relieve me on weekday afternoons. I've bee cooped up most the weekend here looking afer my parents. And a big bad storm is headed our way. . . subzero temps due soon. Gulp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #53 - 01/06/14 at 22:26:34

I just cannot resist jumping in on the "wire" debate every time I see it arise.  I used to be firmly planted on one side of this argument until it finally donned on me - IT DOESN'T MATTER..!!!  

Toward all the debate about subjective judgment .vs. objective measurement… It Doesn’t Matter !!!!   Human hearing is a “perception”, you cannot argue this fact.  And not only is it a “perception” it’s an individual perception at that.  That means that everybody “hears” differently.  We all process sound uniquely based on numerous attributes of sound that have been identified “so far”, including, but certainly not limited to the shape of our pinnae, inner ear and mostly how our brains "process" the signals.   If you “think” you hear something – then you do – end of argument.  Or if you “think” you do not hear something – then you don’t – end of argument.  Just because man has not yet identified all the attributes of sound that affect our hearing “perception”, does not mean they don’t exist.  Not to mention modern science hasn’t invented a machine to measure them.  Hearing is no different than any of our other senses.  Does everyone perceive all colors the same? No.  What about taste?  Some people like vanilla ice cream, some like chocolate – why?  Nobody really knows.  But the point is, why should any individual care about what flavor of ice cream somebody else likes or dislikes – I mean really – answer me this question.  It Doesn’t Matter.  Does this mean that those that like Vanilla are right and those that like chocolate are wrong?  Of course not.

Now having said that, I also believe that with years of critical listening experience & training, one can become quite astute at identifying “differences” in sound that various wire “can” make, some very subtle, and “to that person” not necessarily everybody.  I too have been thru hundreds of painful hours of volume matched to the tenth of a volt as measured at the speaker binding posts with a digital Fluke multi-meter ABX tests.  And like others have experienced here, many times I have been able to identify by a statistically significant margin which wire I was listening to.  And so have many of my fellow audiofool friends.  Not only that, but each of us almost always identifies and quantifies the same differences.  But even though we almost always agree on “what” the differences are that we hear – we also usually have different “preferences”.  So even though we may each describe the particular sonic personality of a given speaker wire the same, not all of us will prefer the same speaker wire.

It has been my experience, that the farther up the super-sonic, space-modulated, so-called boutique wire ladder you go, the more they actually “effect”  the sound – as in they are passive equalizers in some manner.  And if you demo/try enough of them, you are bound to stumble upon one that will have the synergy with your components/speakers/room that you “prefer”.  I am an I/T guy by profession, 30+ years.  And as such, started out as an ole mainframer, tend to think very logically.  And logically, my mind says, it makes no sense to invest more funds in connecting wires than the components themselves cost – think about that one a minute Spock.  To that end, I seek out wire, which is based on sound, known to man at this time, electrical theory.  i.e. the transmission of frequencies in the human hearing range thru conductors.  I want my “wire” to be neutral, accurate and faithful to the signal passing thru it – not to change it.  I prefer to do the “sonic tweaking” to my “preferred” sound via components I choose and/or the tubes installed.  And make no mistake, tubes can and do sound dramatically different.  And their differences can be measured quite easily with common tools man has already invented.

If anyone would like to hear about a cheap and easy experiment you can do yourself regarding “wire” – that just might astound you, as it did me - PM me directly and I’d be happy to share.  It got me off the wire-of-the-month merry-go-round once and for all.  You need to be a smidge of a DIY'er and only if you're interested in wires that possess little to no sonic signature of their own and are pretty inexpensive.  They won't win you any bragging rights at the monthly audio club meeting, but they will win out sonically in most ABX tests against the voodoo science, snake-oil, fairy-dust exotics.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 01/07/14 at 02:50:28

Come on Maddog. Please tell!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 01/07/14 at 03:05:28

Yes, No snake oils and just a little bit of fairy dust! Ha Ha! I'm all in!

He has my PM!

Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #56 - 01/07/14 at 03:19:38

Good therapy I suppose.  Cable bashing............. .

This reminds me?
I need to order a couple more Isomike recordings to play through my Kimber Select with my: SE84CS, CKC, ZMA coming soon and newly ordered Torii IV.

http://isomike.com/

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #57 - 01/07/14 at 15:17:46

Isomike, those are the recordings done with the Mike designed by Kimber, right? I think some of the DSD files I linked to a few weeks back were done with the IsoMike.

Any recommended recordings I should try out? I've had a thing for Violin lately.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #58 - 01/07/14 at 17:41:11

Yes, it is Ray Kimber's gig.

He records at Weber State and a fare amount of proceeds he contributes to the schools music program too.

Any of those recordings that are still available are fair game. I think I am going to grab up one of the Violin recordings myself too.  

You have me thinking Violin now too...I am putting Regina Carter in right now....Motor City Moments...and then Itzhak Perlman with Oscar Peterson Side by Side....both very good recordings I must add.  -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #59 - 01/07/14 at 20:54:33

No sound samples though....for $40, you think they'd at least have 30 second samples of the tunes...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 01/15/14 at 07:08:25

Lon, looking at your earlier post struck home to me. I also see things like this on a daily basis, not so much Hi-Fi related as Bluray and hi-def TV stuff related.

I give up and just say that if you can not see the difference between this and that, then save yourself some money and buy the lesser resolving one and brag that you saved a lot of money.

I have only a minor, beginner system. My cabling is mostly homemade. The three sets of upper grade cables I own are only middle of the road, but the difference between average and my "betters" is not quite like night and day but more like fog or no fog.

I am old (in my way of thinking - 58) and have lost a great deal of my ability to hear, due to my earlier lifestyle in music production, but I feel sorry for some of these people who claim to hear perfectly, yet can not. It may be that they could never have heard well in the start. It is sad.

Keep on lettin' it roll off. Take your own way and be glad that you can do all that you can do.

I empathize. I often want to just slap people. I resist. I can still SEE!
If they can not, then I feel sorry for them, too.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 01/15/14 at 11:21:34

I bet Aladin would have a nice set up.
So,so,so much gear out there promising this and that.
You`ve got the money they`ve got the gear.
I`m sorting boxes out to get jupitered and have all my
i/c`s xilver shadowed. I know it`ll be a night`n`dayer
even though I couldn`t be happier as is. So why do it ?
Even an inverted snob like me knows  technology is out
there and if you can steer towards good reccomendations
you don`t have to feel disappointed.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print