03/29/24 at 02:36:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Equipment heat (Read 3852 times)
UpTo11
Verified Member

Equipment heat
12/16/13 at 23:53:01

I'd like to know if folks would put a couple of Decware pieces (a ZP3 and a Torii Mk IV) in a recessed built-in bookcase? The recessed bookcase measures about 30" wide x 20" deep. Although its somewhat shallow and has no doors, I have my doubts about the heat and may just go the less desirable route of between the speakers. Does anyone have a setup similar to the one I'm suggesting?

Torii IV, ZP3, Well Tempered Amadeus GTA, Tekton Lore
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Equipment heat
Reply #1 - 12/16/13 at 23:59:18

I have a modded C amp and a CSP2 in a custom built stereo cabinet that has two doors closed in the front, and an open back with about 5" of space between it and the wall. They do fine in there.

The Torii Mk IV generates more heat. . . may be fine if there is an open front to the bookcase.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/13 at 00:05:01

I'm sure someone here has tried it and will comment.  I have a ZP3, Taboo, Torii and a CSP-3.  I normally don't turn the heat up in my 11ft by 11ft Listening Cave because all the Tubes really do increase the Temperature quite a bit...especially the Torii.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
UpTo11
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/17/13 at 00:09:28

Lon - It seems like I should be fine, although the Torii does have a few tubes...

Custom wood cabinet? Sounds nice.

Torii IV, ZP3, Well Tempered Amadeus GTA, Tekton Lore
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/13 at 00:10:35

UPTO11
Welcome to the Decware forum.
I do have a similar arrangement. I have a Decware CSP3+ and a Jolida 502P 60 watt amp in a cabinet that is 35 1/2"'s wide by 21"s deep and about 20 inches tall. The front has doors but I always have them wide open whenever I'm playing music and give it ample time to cool down before closing it up. My thoughts about it is it is less than ideal I have thought about purchasing a small fan to circulate air through the cabinet just as a precaution. Haven't had any problems with it so far but am more concerned about the summer. The house stays fairly cool through the winter. The CSP3 runs fairly cool never hot to the touch but the tube amp generates plenty of heat. The main reason that I do keep it in a closed cabinet is to keep it dust free when not in use. Sometimes I think to much tender loving care isn't good either and this maybe one of those times. If you have concerns find an old fan out of a computer or a small fan from the hardware store and just get some air moving around it. Hopefully you'll get some other good advice this forum has a lot of seasoned knowledgeable audiophiles that will offer up there own personal experiences.

Welcome again to the forum!

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/17/13 at 18:18:34

Ahw!

Lon,
       Glad to see you you posted here. When I started my reply on this there were no posts showing. I should of refreshed my screen. You were the first one I thought of for your past experiences with Decware equipment knowing you have multiple set ups and probably have run into this scenario. I know I had read something about warning about placing these amps in an enclosed type of cabinet. I was hoping as long as I left the doors wide open I would get enough ventilation to keep the equipment from over heating. Like I mentioned above so far no sign of any problems with it.

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print