Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Right Channel Hum (Read 8333 times)
ckc527
Verified Member

Right Channel Hum
12/07/13 at 03:19:07

Hi All,

New CSP3 owner here looking to get some help on isolating cause of humming & buzzing sound from right channel.

When I first got the unit and plugged in all the stock tubes, there was some humming but it went away after I rotated the three stock 6N1P-EV a couple of times, i.e. swapped L and R output tubes then swapped L output with front input.

After proper burn-in, I rolled in a pair of known working NOS Valvo E288CC tubes for the L/R outputs and heard humming/buzzing sound from just the R channel. After some troubleshooting, it turns out that I can use each E288CC tube in the front input or L output positions with no hum/buzzing but if any of them are in the R output slot, the noise will be heard. I've read on previous posting here that the output slots on the CSP can be very sensitive but in my case, it seems only the R output slot is very sensitive. Is that even possible?

I've tried rolling in about a dozen different tubes from my collection into the R output slot and same humming/buzzing can be heard, some louder than others. It seems i can only use the stock 6N1P-EV in this slot to be noise free.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ckc

IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Re: Right Channel Hum
Reply #1 - 12/07/13 at 16:43:45

I don't know about why one channel may be more sensitive than the other...

But, I've found I can only reliably use 6N1P in the left/right positions. As I'm sure you read already, there's extensive discussion in the CSP3 "first photos" thread. So I put a set of super cryo 6N1P-EV in there and forgot about any other experimentation. I can get PLENTY of fine tuning by rolling just the rectifier and input tube.

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/08/13 at 02:10:10

Same here. I put the super cryo 6N1P-EV in the output positions and have not looked back.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/08/13 at 15:32:19

ckc527

Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new myself. My advice is to talk to Steve directly he can talk you through some steps to try and isolate what is going on. I had a similar situation with mine and needed to return it glad I did couldn't of lived with it the way it was going. All is good since receiving it back. Hopefully he will be able to isolate it and save it a return trip could be very simple. I had a bad interconnect and could never hear it in the system I replaced. In turn that even complicated the process further. Actually had two problems going on at the same time. Anyway do contact Steve so your sure in your mind what is up with it. Otherwise you may not end up as happy with it as you should be. I'm very happy with mine since having the issue corrected and being a properly working unit. Mine actually had internal shipping damage couldn't see it but rough handling by UPS can cause all kinds of problems. These things are excellent when right.

Good Luck with finding your problem.

Cool

IP Logged
ckc527
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/27/13 at 06:47:37

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm happy to report that my issue with the right channel hum has been resolved. I sent the unit back after talking to Steve about the issue. According to the warranty repair invoice, my CSP3 was replaced due to incorrect layout of original shipped unit. The hum issue in the right output position is gone now using tubes other than 6N1P-EV. Now I can finally enjoy E288CC in the output positions without issue. Time to start the burn-in process!

ckc

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/27/13 at 13:12:58

c,

So glad the hum is gone! Start listening! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/02/14 at 04:00:47

ckc527,

Glad to hear you were able to get the problem resolved. Steve was very good about getting mine turned around and back in my hands. I have to say since having it back I have really been enjoying it. Sure was worth the wait. It will loosen up a bit and smooth out as you get some hours on it. Seems as though it takes about 50 hours for it to start really settling in and show its juicy tonal characteristics. The 6n1p tubes seem to be lush and juicy the 6922's seem to be tighter and brighter with a bit more detail.

Hope your enjoying it!

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print