Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:47:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Speakers for my Mini... (Read 16402 times)
Ron
Seasoned Member

New Speakers for my Mini...
12/02/13 at 23:58:14

I currently have a pair of Mark Audio A12P Full Range drivers in the "Super Pensil" cabinet. Listening to any Jazz, Classical, etc is fine, but they lack quite a bit of weight.

My brother brought over his CSP2 pre-amp to see if it would help at all, honestly I preferred the MT without the pre-amp. That being said, he also brought over his H-Frames with 15" Eminence Alphas and a Rotel amp. Run a line-level mini-DSP crossover and fed it via the mini-torii pre-outs.

I heard a beautiful walking upright bass on the Cannonball Adderley wax we were spinning.

Long story short, I either would like to find a pair of speakers that pair better with this that has some real nice low end meat to it, or I will be re-designing the cabinets I have to either be a combo open-baffles with powered woofer, or similar.

To get a rough idea of what I was thinking: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/231955-a12p-f-s-t.html

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: New Speakers for my Mini...
Reply #1 - 12/03/13 at 22:17:14

I've heard the smaller MA drivers deliver good bass in a different cabinet design, but I'm also a fan of OB and helper woofers.

Hope I'm not being too helpful. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/13 at 13:09:00

I think that my build of the Super Pensils has an issue... my B&W 601 bookshelf's have more bass extension. The Marks do sound much more impressive anywhere above 100 Hz though...

I might take a look at Bob Brines plans for a MLTL using the Mark A12P.
I am not sure how well the A12P handles itself in an open baffle.

Lots of research to be had Smiley

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 12/04/13 at 22:01:29

fwiw, the Alpair 10.2's have much more bass output than the 12P's
It's all about compromise, ( dammit !! )
Good Luck on your search.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/15/13 at 13:12:23

So I think its my build of the MAs, I am going to try and tweak the enclosure a little. Might have too much damping material in them.

I am also going to bring these into a smaller room and corner load them to get a little more kick.

Outside of these, I would like to build myself a pair of Klipschorns or La Scalas, anyone use one of those on a MT?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/15/13 at 16:56:44

Let us know if you can get them to improve.

My friend built a pair of tall skinny BVR cabinets with front vents above and below the driver for a pair of 10s. I would guess they have useable output down to at least 50hz (maybe lower/didn't measure), we were both impressed with the bass performance in a largish room with a vaulted ceiling.
There was a noticeable improvement in midrange clarity with the addition of a little Acousta-stuff, and as you alluded to, overdoing it can cause bass to suffer.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/30/13 at 21:47:59

Im not going to try answer whats the problem here, im not qualified. But, and I do not mean to learn anybody anything, I have heard, talked to and above all read that there is a lot DIYers that have had kind of smallish building problems, then done some home made improvements and solutions, and then experience less than satisfying results. Maybe a small issue (litterary) causes bigger problems in sound etc.
Maybe thats why I trust pros more then my own abilities..

For your Mini, havent got a clue what would suit that amp, im just really eager to find out if my combo of a MT with 7"alnico from Omega will do the trick for me. I have no clue  of what to expect. I just trust forum advisers... and the  :ocombo of Steve and Louis' craftmansship. You guys think it will be ok? (hopefully its better than ok....

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/30/13 at 22:06:27

Jorgen,  I'm no expert but Steve states in the write up for your Amp that  8 ohm Speakers with a Sensitivity of 93dB or more are ideal.  The Omegas you have I think are 8 ohm with a 93dB sensitivity. They should make beautiful music together.

I have the Taboo and Torii  Amps and when I saw a used Mini Torii, I was tempted but then I thought, "I have 27 tubes in the equipment I have, do I really want to add more to fiddle with?"...It could drive a man insane.

I plan on buying a pair of Omega Speakers eventually...I've read great things about them and am curious what they'd sound like in my small Listening room.  I'm not sure which ones...It'd probably depend on what shows up on the used market. What model do you have...are they the ones below?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/30/13 at 23:12:43

Excellent choice Jorgen! Cool

True about some diy efforts. Cry

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/30/13 at 23:36:39

Hey guys
Forum reading and some posting is my only source of comfort while waiting for amp and speakers to be shipped. Spoke with Louis and he suggested a cabinet pretty much the same as the 3xrs, but actually a 32 liter cabinet.I believe they are 35" *11w and 8.5 deep. 7"alnico. Dilemma for me has been that there isnt any place to hear a speaker like those omega's combined with a MT or similar amp. So i'have bought a setup, and in a way have no clue what to expect. Volumewise, sweetpoint"size" and stuff like that, anyone wanna give me some expectations? Some of you guys in here has the honor or blame (no way!) for a big part of end result :-P
for some strange reason i just trusted opinions that I  read in this forum, and of course multible others that led me to decware/omega.
Room is about 40m2.

A friend of mine, who understands electric stuff asked how many ampere this amp is, couldn't find any info, anyone knows? And what is normal for amps like the MT?

Edit;some nice single malt whiskey, and evolving the perfect playlist is somewhat soothing as well...

IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/31/13 at 18:05:41

I  am using Reference 3A de Capos 92db pretty flat impedence with no problem  the room is 12 x 22 open on the sides with half wall dividers.

It gets plenty loud not ear splitting, not rocking the walls neighbors complaining loud but comfortable

i would like some higher eff speakers but these are small standmounts that have a wonderful sound.  Thought about some Zu's

Mini Torii w/ 1940's Brimar 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
KEF Kube10a Sub
VPI HW-19 mk iv
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
MacBook Pro as streamer
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/31/13 at 21:10:02

Lin; gotta like your nick on audiocircle forum.

I really read a lot before buying both amps and speakers, but im really a rookie, and I hope that i will be satisfied for a pretty long time. Spending like 3-400 USD on shipping only, and then VAT, and VAT on shipping cost aswell, check out facts about Norway,,,, reeeaaalllly different from US. Point is, I wanna get it RIGHT first try, hence my q; what to expect, I guess it isnt all that easy to explain.
Of course source and cabels and DAC also is needed...  
And as i stated, WAF is important .

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/31/13 at 23:56:19

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/16/14 at 12:02:37

Good news everyone! I started doing some thinking and thought to myself, what if its my TT or Cart that is causing the trouble. I ended up getting a new Turntable from Vinyl Nirvana (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and it solved all my issues and then some!

It is a fixed up Thorens TD-150, with a Rega 202 arm, Cardas wire upgrade, and Music Hall 2.0 frequency generator for speed stability. This also removes the need for the speed changer knobs.

Needless to say, low end and the rest of the frequency range sound absolutely incredible.

BTW: Cart on this bad boy is a Ortofon 2M bronze, cart on my old Kenwood KD-2055 TT was a Denon DL-110.

All around an amazing upgrade. The Mark Audio A12P Super Pensils I built are absolutely impressive.

20140116-DSC_0084.jpg

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/18/14 at 01:50:43

Excellent! Cool
Thanks for the update Ron.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #15 - 01/18/14 at 03:16:36

Great that you sorted it out. The entire line of Markaudio drivers in the appropriate cabinets are well worth considering.
Definitely some of the best cost/performance drive units around.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print