Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:56:40 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk3 and KT66's (Read 68059 times)
tom collins

Torii Mk3 and KT66's
11/26/13 at 19:59:10

Friends:  After a buddy got his Mk4, I asked him to bring over his Tung-sol reissue KT66s to try in my Mk3.  They definitely put the "power" in power amp.  I was able to buy a quad of Gold Lion reissues.  They have tremendous authority and do not tend to run out of breath as the EL34s can.  I am using Decware ERR's and they will absolutely fill the room up with just a little volume.  The only downside is that the Hazen grid in not used with these tubes so a little of the SET like beauty is given up.  But, with both sets, one can go back and forth depending on mood.
This is like driving the car with the supercharger after driving the standard car.  Worth a try in my book.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Mk3 and KT66's
Reply #1 - 11/28/13 at 15:56:11

I am using Genalex Gold Lions KT77's (Cyroset) and there are hands down the best power tube I have had in the MK3. They have the authority you mention but without sacrificing that beautiful EL34 midrange emphasis what brought me to the Torrii in the first place.

I did not know you can run KT66's in the MK3. The old MK3 web page only gives these choices:

OUTPUT TUBE CHOICES: EL34 6CA7 KT77 6550 KT88

IP Logged
agustinf
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/14/13 at 13:06:50

Gentlemen, What kind of music and speakers are you listening to? I'd love to hear more impressions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/14/13 at 13:13:13

I'd be tempted to try these tubes but. . . "a little of the SET like beauty is lost" . . . due to the Hazen grid mod incompatibility. I'd not like to surrender that, that's the beauty of the Mk III for me. I love the JJ 6CA7s and will be sticking with them at least another year (new cryo'd set in the closet awaiting a swap early in the coming year).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/14/13 at 18:39:28

I have been playing my new MK IV a lot with the KT66 tubes I got from Jim McShane. I have to say that the detail is striking. The gain characteristics of the amp are gentle and very much like the Zen and Superzen. It does not distort even at full range. Maybe someday I will look into some KT77 or JJ 6CA7's to see how they would do.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
agustinf
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/13 at 14:38:02

Hi RR,  are you using the 66s permanently in your torii or are you switching with other types of tubes?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/22/13 at 19:47:09

I've used only the KT66. I heard a MKIV at DECFEST with EL34's in it and I did not like it as much as with the KT66. I think the inputs offer the most variation of the sound. I am using JJ6922's right now. I ordered some Tesla yellow label PCC88's to see how they'd sound.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
DaveH
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/28/13 at 17:03:21

Actually I was wondering if someone might comment on a Tori Mk III with GL KT77's or similar vs a Torii Mk IV or a mystery amp. I could use a bit moe slam from my Ref 3A GV's. Happy new year to all.

Mac mini, linear ps, Audirvana +, Oppo 83 Rick Shultz mod, Prism Orpheus Dac, Synergistic tesla, Torii III stepped, V-caps, Ref 3A GV's.
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/31/13 at 19:26:55

I use the Genalex Gold lions KT77 in my Torri III, and they clearly better very other tube I have used. They give immediate boost in authority and low end grunt and fullness without sacrificing any transparency. While they don't use the hazen grid, I don't care, because they sound so good. Fantastic build quality.

How efficient are those speakers?

IP Logged
DaveH
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/31/13 at 20:48:47

Thanks for the reply OC. The GV's are 90 db efficient, and have a very flat impedance curve at 5 ohms. Tighter low end would be a plus. Regards, Happy New Year,  Dave H.

Mac mini, linear ps, Audirvana +, Oppo 83 Rick Shultz mod, Prism Orpheus Dac, Synergistic tesla, Torii III stepped, V-caps, Ref 3A GV's.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/13/14 at 21:02:49

Well, I bought a quad of Tung-Sol KT-66 from Mike and must say I was very surprised when I put them in the Torii. I love the JJ 6CA7 but these tubes have shown me a muddiness in the mid bass that I wasn't aware of. The midrange as a result seems even more open and the sound is quite big. I'm not always comfortable with that, but imaging and soundstaging are more accurate than usually I find with "big sounding" tubes (mainly rectifiers). These KT-66 are also just a bit more forgiving of source imperfections.

I confess I do hear a bit of the missing detail and "delineation" that I attribute to the loss of the Hazen Grid Goodiness.

Leaving them in a while and enjoying their sound. I see cryoset sells JJs and Genelex as well as the Tung-Sol. Just what I needed, more tubes to roll!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/14/14 at 20:02:20

Lon, glad you like 'em.  Have fun!

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/14/14 at 20:11:31

Thanks Mike. They're sounding very nice, I'm enjoying the change and doing a bit of tweeking to see what's what.

IP Logged
kiwidave
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/28/14 at 11:25:51

Took the plunge (they're not cheap) and bought the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s for my Torri III, based on the positive feedback here.  I've immediately noticed a big improvement over the JJs - I have slightly less efficient speakers (89db) and the extra power/authority means I can relax more into the music - there is a fraction less subtlety and a rawer sound (perhaps this will improve with burn-in) but the upside for my system is so significant that it's not missed - particularly for rock and pop genres it's made some of the source material much more listenable.   Many thanks Orangecrush!

Do you guys have any advice on other tubes that have provided you a significant improvement over the stock tubes for the Torii III?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 06/17/14 at 22:10:30

kiwidave, definitely try KT-66.

In reference to the above about "the little bit of SET magic" that is lost with using the KT-66 I would counter that to be honest you lose a little bit of high end detail with the use of these and their not utilizing the Hazen Grid Mod. And for most of the recordings I have on hand that is not a bad thing. The midrange is so open and spacious with these, as well as the bump in headroom.

I've started using a set of Genalex KT-66, replacing the Tung-Sol KT-66. At the moment I'd say the Genalex is tighter and tauter and I might prefer the Tung-Sols expansive warmth BUT these cryo'd Genelax are quite new and my experience tells me they'll change.

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 07/03/14 at 02:05:31

Is it ok to use KT66 with a Torii MKIII??? I thought it could only be used in MKIV Torii's?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/03/14 at 02:41:03

You can use KT-66 tubes in a Torii MK III.  Several here have done it and like the result but it doesn't utilize the Hazen Grid Technology. Below is what Steve says on page 4 of the owners manual...link provided.

I've got a MK IV and except for a brief time running the stock KT-66s I ordered with it,  I've been using Seimens/RFT EL-34s.  I like these best but I seem to be in the minority on this.  Mark.

Unlike the TORII MK II that used EL34, KT77, 6550 or KT88 without re-biasing the TORII
MK III uses our new Hazen Grid Technology to push the transparency, speed, tightness to
a level that greatly surpasses the alternate tubes. Since this is the case, extra voicing
was used to get the maximum sonics from the EL34 at the cost of making any of the
above listed alternates a waste of time because they will not sound as good.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/03/14 at 06:35:44

Have you found that as a group, Beam tetrodes  sound more dynamic than true Pentodes?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 07/03/14 at 10:50:44

mark58 wrote on 07/03/14 at 02:41:03:
You can use KT-66 tubes in a Torii MK III.  Several here have done it and like the result but it doesn't utilize the Hazen Grid Technology. Below is what Steve says on page 4 of the owners manual...link provided.

I've got a MK IV and except for a brief time running the stock KT-66s I ordered with it,  I've been using Seimens/RFT EL-34s.  I like these best but I seem to be in the minority on this.  Mark.

Unlike the TORII MK II that used EL34, KT77, 6550 or KT88 without re-biasing the TORII
MK III uses our new Hazen Grid Technology to push the transparency, speed, tightness to
a level that greatly surpasses the alternate tubes. Since this is the case, extra voicing
was used to get the maximum sonics from the EL34 at the cost of making any of the
above listed alternates a waste of time because they will not sound as good.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

Well, that's in the manual alright. But, in actuality, to my ears, in my system, the Hazen Grid thing. . .well it's an extra level of bright detail that I don't think that I need that badly with my material. When I run 6L6 or KT66 in the Mk IIIs they sound fantastic, better than EL34, to me. So I would say they are well worth a try, one might easily prefer one tube type to the other. I am convinced that for me it's best to continue using KT66 in my Mk III. The sound is so big and open and with an ease that no EL34 or 6CA7 quite had.

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 07/13/14 at 03:34:47

It does not say in the manual that you can use kt-66 or 6l6 in the Torii MKIII?   Huh

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #20 - 07/22/14 at 17:21:51

You can safely use a KT66 in place of the EL34.

The following link is useful for learning more.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/KT66-Tube-Review

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/27/14 at 01:54:19

Ok Lon, you sold me on the KT66.  I order a quad of Gold Lions from Cryoset, shipped today.  Been mostly using the Tung-sol EL34's that came w/ the MKIII,  Today before going into work I put the GL KT77's back in.  Love the life they bring.  I Just found a Mono WLP of Time Out today and man did the drum solo on Take Five kick arse.  Wow.  I was really bummed I had to leave for work at 3.  Oh well.  Looking forward to the 66's.  That'll give me 3 types of power tubes to play with.  Can't wait until Thursday when I'll be off work for 6 days...  This is a great thread.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 07/27/14 at 13:21:13

Greg,

I think you'll really enjoy the Gold Lions. Once I popped in KT-66 I just haven't wanted any other tube types in these amps. Both my Torii Mk IIIs now have them installed, and when I'm flush enough again I'm going to pop a pair into my Torii Mk II as Steve said I could put any tubes I would put into the Mk IIIs into the Mk II. As this is the amp I listen to most (as I spend over sixty hours a week caring for my parents and my Dad loves to listen to classical music) I probably should do that sooner rather than later. Thinking of trying the TAD (cryo'd).

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/27/14 at 15:02:39

Lon,

That's quite the testimonial there.  Now I'm really anticipating the KT66's I ordered.  I can see how you'd go with the TAD's for your MKII, the descriptions I've read of the tonal qualities they supposedly impart sound cool.  And why not,  that'll give you 3 brands to compare.   For me,  I like the idea of my Jupiter capped III running them.  I'm closer to hearing what the IV is all about, but still have the greater flexibility of the III's treble/bass controls.  Having the KT66's installed, I think, will take some of the urge out of sending my Torii in for the upgrade to a IV.  I've really been on the fence about having it done, but  $450 plus shipping and the wait..  whew..  that's what's stopped me so far.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 07/27/14 at 18:07:28

Yeah, the limited flexibility of tonal controls has kept me from both the IV and the ZMA. I love the IIIs and I"m good for decades!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 07/27/14 at 21:31:56

Quote:
I love the IIIs and I"m good for decades!

I have a friend that's interested in taking the leap from consumer goods to the Torrii after listening to my setup. What you said is word for word what I told him if he went for at least a Torii III. If he decides to pull the trigger, I might be putting out an APB on a used one. We just need to test his B&W 805 on my setup and see if he thinks he'd be happy with those speakers on Decware gear. I'm also trying to get him to come down for Decfest and really wade out into the deep water with us.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 07/27/14 at 21:51:55

I hope your friend's speakers respond well and he takes the plunge. Really, with the right speakers (for me the HR-1s, they are a match made in heaven for the Mk IIIs, especially with the bass controls!) and a great source (the Mk III will show up a bad one!) you can spend a lifetime with this amp just settling into musical enjoyment and stress relief. I'd rather have that than the ultra introspective window of the little amps (and from what I read the ZMA). I'd rather browse along the big picture than peer through a magnifier.

And if you want to go the real exploratory distance that will has (exhibited by his amazing post from yesterday) you can take the Mk III into amazing realms of detail and exhibition. I start on that path at times, but pull back because it takes me away from the music. I know that's ME, it takes some others INTO the music, I wish it did me, but I find the level I've taken it to to be the right one for me.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #27 - 07/27/14 at 23:06:21

Quote:
I'd rather have that than the ultra introspective window of the little amps (and from what I read the ZMA)

While I can't bring myself to say the ZMA is forgiving (it's not), it's also not clinical to the point of being difficult. With the DirectStream and it's natural and musical presentation, the ZMA reveals how natural it really is. I see now how etched the Oppo was - great sounding with great recordings, but painful on dry, highly compressed recordings. The DS and ZMA while not forgiving are not any more harsh than the original recording.

I love Queen's "Somebody to Love", but it's pretty much an unlistenable recording...the chorus is like nails on a chalkboard to me with how strained and screechy it is (at least all the records I've been able to source). The DS/ZMA combo it's almost tolerable, but you can't make a silk purse and all that.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 07/27/14 at 23:43:52

Well, just reading between the lines on a lot of comments on the ZMA it seems more like the little Zens in that sense than the Mk IIs and Mk IIIs are to me. It's unfair to make such a generalization without experiencing the amp, but after years of listening to Steve's amps I sort of can get an idea.

It seems to me that Steve moves more and more towards detail and detail and detail in his designs and I find that I get a more musical presentation with a little less detail than he seems to be moving towards. The Mk III is almost that over the edge for me, but with judicious tube rolling I can get right where I want it, it works wonderfully for my speakers (boy howdy, they just amaze me) and so I'm dropping anchor right here.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/28/14 at 21:29:07

Got the tubes in the mail today, had about 20mins to install them and listen to Whole Lotta Love on ZepII prior to leaving for work.  Man oh man.  With only 5mins of warm up, I noticed such an effortless sound.  Clean, easy everything.   I left the house w/ Pandora on and instructions to the kids to keep it running all night.  Gotta get them burned in.  I can tell these are going to be great tubes already.   Smiley  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/28/14 at 21:31:34

:)

Give them Whole Lotta Love and they'll take you Over the Hills and Far Away to Kashmir.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/28/14 at 21:45:44

Grin

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #32 - 07/28/14 at 22:14:59

Oh Lon, that was so bad...almost like a bad geek pun. LOL

I'm still considering trying those Cryoset Golden Lions. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think once their more burned in Greg.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 07/28/14 at 22:19:45

Not my finest work, agreed. That's when I can string together Duke Ellington titles.

They're really great tubes. I like the Tung-Sol too, but the Gold Lion have an edge with a meatier midrange, while the Tung-Sol seem to have a more wide open one, one could love either depending on the needs of your system.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/29/14 at 05:19:09

M Gold Lions were very good right off in the MKIV too, and burned in better!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 08/02/14 at 01:47:30

I'm really liking these a lot.  If I didn't know better, I'd say the Torii III was built around thesr tubes. Best bass yet coming out of the Monoliths. Tight, fast and deep. Not bloated at all.  Treble is natural sounding.  You know, since I put these babies in on Monday, I haven't once got up to change the bass/treble controls.  Doesn't matter what I have on, it sounds great as is.  With the el34s it seems like I'm always fiddling around with the dials.  I have about 75 hrs on them now.  Great tubes, they will stay in.

Greg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 08/02/14 at 02:50:19

Just as I predicted. Over the Hills and Far Away the best tubes I've tried in the Mk IIIs. Mine are bringing me a lot of joy as well. Glad you gave them a go!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 08/15/14 at 02:25:18

So tonight I bought the 2 lp set of The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me Kiss Me.  I put on "All I Want".  Seemed narrow and thin.   Sounded like a Mono recording but the singer was dead center and in front of the band.  Kind of a cool but narrow 3D effect. Sonically though it seemed sorta sterile.  However, it reminded that I've spent the last week or so, missing the EL34 sound.  the warmth and richness of them  I guess.   So I put the 34's back in.  Soundstage spread out, singer sounded more a part of the band.  And that nice tone was back.  A sweet presentation in its own right.

So, are the KT66's the end all beat all?  Well, after a couple weeks.. all I can say is, well,  it depends.  It depends on the recording, and it depends on the mood you're in.  Keep in mind, it was just one song of one record.  But it did sound better than the 66's.

So back to the 34's for awhile.  I love having options.  What ever the mood,  find the tubes that will satisfy.  Awesome amp this MK III.

Greg

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #38 - 08/20/14 at 18:46:00

Hi Greg,

After reading your review, I just had to roll in my NOS metal base EL34s into my Torii MK4.

This was against the NOS GEC Grayglass KT66s....

And the results......

Wait for it......

The EL34s WIN!!!

Your remarks were spot on.

The soundstage is much wider.

The EL34 has a much nicer ( i.e. seductive) midrange tone, it really deserves its nickname of the "queen of midrange".

Will post more details in the Torii MK4 forum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 08/20/14 at 18:49:02

Interesting. I had done this a few weeks ago, just before I got the DirectStream DAC in from PS Audio. . . and I still really like the KT-66 in my Mk III. They are not coming out. Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #40 - 08/20/14 at 19:29:45

Hi Lon,

Greg is really spot on with his observations.

Both the KT66 and EL34 work very well in the Torii MK4 amp.
(The MK4 and MK3 have the same DNA so any tube rolling experiences between the 2 amps should be similar).

For many months, I too was really contented with the KT66s.
I've been using only the KT66 in my MK4 since the very beginning.

I just love listening to music with female vocals and the EL34s have the midrange edge over the KT66.

So it might all boil down to (my own ) personal preference.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #41 - 08/20/14 at 19:44:13

Oh of course, personal preference (though that's not always stated, I see some really sweeping statements at time that one might infer are meant to be universal). And note I have the Mk III, not the IV, they're different animals.They share DNA but the controls are differnt and there are circuitry differences.  AND I listen primarily to instrumental music, acoustic instruments more than otherwise, and I find the better (imo) treble of the KT-66 to be a deciding factor. And oddly, I get a wider, bigger soundstage from the KT-66 than EL34, but that may be a Mk III or a frequency control difference.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 08/20/14 at 20:47:19

Could be your HR-1`s Lon. Omnis radiate a bigger soundstage ?

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 08/20/14 at 20:50:32

But then why wouldn't the EL-34s radiate a bigger one if they do so on the Mk IV??

I don't know. All this just proves to me over and over again what this forum has always shown me: there are few absolutes at all in these impressions and statements. Partly because of the clarity and resolution of the Decware components we all hear things a bit differently and the clear resolving allows us to tailor the systems more easily towards what we want to hear. And we all want to hear a bit differently.

Or that's what I sense more and more as the years and posts go by.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 08/20/14 at 21:06:45

I'll say this about the midrange in my system, which was fortified by my listening last time to the EL-34s:

With the EL-34, whether because of their tube type, how they interact in the Toriis, or the Hazen Grid Mod, the midrange seems a bit slower and thicker. This may be the "majic," the "special tone" that some hear. It sounds a bit more romantic, a bit more like classic tube gear to me. I used to prefer this, especially with the sort of tiny edge to the treble I sense with many EL-34s in my system.

With the KT-66s the mid range is so open and fast that it might almost be considered invisible. A wide open plain appears and the instruments dance about on it. No romance, no classic tone, an instrument or voice is full and transients snap.

I have come to prefer this cloak of midrange invisibility, it suits my music best, but I think that's only because the treble wiht the KT-66 tubes is also faster, with less glare or grain.

Just my generalizations of the sound of these frequency ranges as presented by my system based on my listening for some time to the two tube types.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 08/21/14 at 00:59:40

Hi Lon and Lord Soth,

I wonder if some of my results could be that I'm using 5y3gt rect's.  It's the only rect. I've used that gets the bass right.  I've tried Upscale's Phillips and RCA 5u4gb's. Too tubby, w/ any power tube I have.  kt77,66 and 34's.  the 5y3gt's lean the bass enough to make it sound tight,  but perhaps they lean the mid's too.  Which seems fine with the mid rangy 34's,  but is too much so w/ the kt66's.  I don't know.  I'm not giving up on the 66's tho,  they are really fine w/ the right music.  

Now that the kids school year is starting up again, and my wife's too (teaching asst.) I'll be able to really play around with the different  power tubes I have and see if I can narrow down a certain type of music they each work best for. I work 2nd shift so will have the house to myself during school hrs.  ;)  

Greg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 08/21/14 at 02:47:01

That's possible. I'm now using 5V4, a squat bottle type, old RCAs, that are just wonderful in the Torii Mk III.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 08/21/14 at 03:01:56

Lon,  5V4...I've never even considered these.  How do they compare to the coke bottle RCA 5U4Gs you'd been using previously? Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 08/21/14 at 03:13:18

Very similar, really, perhaps a bit . . . darker. They contribute to a very smooth and solid foundation and allow a lot of tuning using the tone controls. They work really well with my other surprising tubes, Arcturus OB3s.  I like these RCA 5V4s, like the look as well.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #49 - 08/21/14 at 15:35:29

Hi Greg,

I'm using the Brimar 5R4GY "D" getter rectifiers in my system.

I also turned "on" the bass switch and maxed out the Treble switch ( clockwise) on the MK4.

All I can say now is that, in my system, it is no longer a matter of personal preference.
My other family members also agree with me.
With the EL34s, my MK4 sounds much better with the Hazen Grid in place.

More details over here :-
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1384627106/60

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print