04/18/24 at 18:58:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New project (Read 9922 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

New project
11/21/13 at 20:04:23

Well this portion of the boards gets hardly any posts so I will get one going. I think my room needs some treatment so I just ordered the plans for the P1312. I am going to make these out of solid oak and plywood. I want to treat them like furniture and make them look good so they will be more solid wood than plywood. Once done I just want to finish them in clear laquer. The plan is to make engough to cover the whole back wall and part of the side walls next to the speakers. I just hope it does not take me 3 years or longer like my other projects.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: New project
Reply #1 - 11/22/13 at 15:25:05

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with these. All that oak sounds like it's going to be beautiful!

I'm going to make some budget diffusers in MDF and pressboard, but I'm thinking about making a set of really nice ones out of Poplar or some other solid wood for the front of the room. Something I can stain and have looking like furniture.

One thing I can recommend, if you can, have them stained and clear coated before assembly unless you have a spray gun. The first set of diffusers I did took days to stain by brush. I kept finding all these spots I missed when it was dry and had to touch up...and touch up, and touch up...I never got around to do clear coating them because of that.

The second set I used an automotive spray gun and had the warm cherry stain done in about two hours, one good coat and done!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/22/13 at 20:30:26

LR, thanks for pointing that out. I will laquer them seperate and then put them together. I will leave the areas untouched that need to be glued. I ordered some 1/8" oak strips so just waiting for them to come in so I can get this started.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 11/22/13 at 23:52:45

Solid oak strips?

Where from?

I'd hate to have to plane all that down myself!

deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/25/13 at 14:11:17

Ebay.
Actually you can get them from Woodcraft also, but they are quite a bit more. I searched Ebay and found someone selling 1/8" strips. They are 8" wide and 24" long, so perfect for what I need. Also like you said planning them down would take too long and too much waste. I don't really have a bandsaw to rip my own and the table saw would be iffy to use to go that thin. If these look good I hope I can just contact them to get more made. They do have some out of black cherry also. I should get them today or tomorrow.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 11/25/13 at 14:26:43

Yeah, bandsaw is too rough for ripping these down to size. You'd still have a lot of waste and still have to thickness plane and/or thickness sand on a drum sander (a tool still on my wish list). So if you can find a good source for already thicknessed hardwoods, that would be awesome.

deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/25/13 at 15:11:56

Me too, the wish list includes the Jet 16-32 drum sander and also 14" bandsaw. Its hard jugeling wood working and audio as a hobby. They are both very expensive.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 11/25/13 at 23:49:12

Add guns, guitars, home theater, and photography to my list of hobbies and...well, my hobbies go in cycles so I can afford them.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print