03/28/24 at 12:16:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Bevy of Decware (Read 31682 times)
Clayton
Verified Member

A Bevy of Decware
11/20/13 at 21:18:21

My little big Decware amps all in a row.

Decware.jpeg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: A Bevy of Decware
Reply #1 - 11/20/13 at 21:58:07

Very nice Clayton.  I recognize a ZP3, a CSP of some vintage, and a Torii but I can't identify the Amp third from the left.  Very neat setup.  Mine are scattered about...all new black tops...on a coffee table in the middle of my listening room, I have a Taboo MK III, CSP3, and a Rega RP6 TT.  On the floor underneath it I have my ZP3 and on an end table behind the coffee table I have a Torii MK IV.  The arrangement sure isn't ideal but ...mmmm...does it sound sweet.  I hope to someday get things arranged as neatly as you. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/13 at 22:20:38

The third from the left is a TABOO MK II

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/22/13 at 08:01:33

Does the ZP3 really have the cables in the front like that or is that a mod or special order?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 11/22/13 at 11:56:33

Nice White Top collection! I almost got myself a Torii III white top - but decided to wait and see what I thought of the gear at Decfest this year. Your setup looks very nice!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/22/13 at 13:56:22

If I recall correctly on the web page it says the cables in the front is the default configuration (shorter signal path, a little better sound) but Sarah told me that the connections in the back are standard.

The ZP3 can be had either way. I have the ZP3 with the connections on the back.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/22/13 at 13:59:06

The ZP3's cables are located at the front because it is closer to the tubes and therefore the connections from the input/output to the tube sockets are shorter. The option offered is to have them at the back making the path longer. Decware claims that the shorter wiring scheme delivers a blacker background, that is, lower noise.

And yes, I really like the white tops on these amps. Now I have to stop ordering Decware amps for fear that the new typewriter-finish tops will be a jarring distraction when positioned next to the old white tops--j/k.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/22/13 at 14:02:23

The white top ZP3 I had briefly had connections on the front and back.  I think the front were standard, the ones in the back were an option.  This one doesn't appear to have them in the back.  My understanding is that the front connectors had  shorter wiring so a shorter signal path with "Better" Sound Quality.  The new ones all come with them in the back only...I think.  mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/22/13 at 14:17:38

Here's a closeup of the ZP3 ICs. I like it located at the front because it looks more dramatic.

Decware_ZP3_front.JPG
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #9 - 11/23/13 at 07:52:25

Hi Clayton,

That reminds me of the St. Louis Gateway arch.
Really cool curves.

You have a great Decware lineup. Smiley

Regards,
LS

IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/23/13 at 21:02:21

Thanks, All.

I'm really proud of my Decware system. I'm thinking about taking the Mini Torii to work. I really need to get some good headphones first, like the HiFiMAN HE-500.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/23/13 at 23:03:40

Thanks for the clarification on the ZP3 guys ...

@ Clayton, what an amazing setup!  You have all the pieces that I would eventually like to get as well.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/24/13 at 10:55:52

Nice call on the E80CC. Those take things to another level.

IP Logged
nico

Reply #13 - 12/21/13 at 11:24:07

Very impressive. I'd like to try out some of those components....
Hope you don't have kids that like to play ball in the room with so many precious tubes.
Did you manage to get your system silent when switched "on" ?
Nico

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 12/21/13 at 23:43:53

Clayton, what rectifier is that that is using the adapter and has flying leads? How's it sound?

I remember seeing some JAN submarine tubes like that which could be used in place of a 5U4G or the like that could very well be pretty good, untapped NOS source.

Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 12/22/13 at 00:02:06

Hi Lonely Raven--

The tube is a United Electronics Corp. 596 tube. A direct replacement for a 5U4. The description says that it's a high-altitude version of the 1641. http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_596.html

Currently it is very hard to find and expensive. It was about $18 year ago and now it commands well over $150 a tube. I really like the sound but I also think some Tung-Sol and RCA 5U4GB tubes sound equally as impressive. [img][/img]

596_r84.jpg
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 12/24/13 at 06:17:08

Thank you for that, it certainly looks cool. I remember seeing them on eBay at reasonable prices, but don't see any now.

darrwood

Reply #17 - 09/12/15 at 02:09:52

Clayton how close is the E80CC to a 12AU7 and does Steve recommend it if it can be obtained?

IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/12/15 at 02:28:58

The Philips SQ E80CC has a slightly warmer sound than most 12AU7s that I've used in the amp. I don't know if Steve has recommend it but other high-end amp makers like Woo Audio have stated that their amps can use the E80CC in place of the 12AU7 with no problem. A pair of them have been in my Mini Torii (8/2011) for four years with no problems whatsoever.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #19 - 09/12/15 at 03:02:04

they have more power so is that noticeable?

IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 09/12/15 at 03:55:23

I can tell that there is a slight boost in power. It is a fuller sound rather than a bigger sound. A nice bump. Are you able to find a pair to try out? I got mine a few years ago and they were about $110 for a matched pair and a bit less for unmatched. I'm not that picky so I got a bunch that were matched and a few that were unmatched.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #21 - 09/12/15 at 04:01:58

I don't need a matched pair as I'm thinking about using it on my zp3 in place of the 12au7  I'm going to see if a local place has them that deals with old military electronics and has military spec tubes as well as others. just checking out if they are worth a try cost may decide. I'm putting together a second set for when these ware out.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #22 - 09/12/15 at 04:56:08

Clayton, if you had it to decide on one would you pick the mini tori over a super zen ? I'm saving up for a, of course Decware amp. I have a mmf7.1 that I love and a zp3.  thanks,  Darrell

IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 09/12/15 at 05:11:30

Darrell, I have the ZP3 as well. You can't go wrong either way. My amps are from 2011 so I don't know what the newer versions sound like. Other variables come to mind as well: speakers, headphones, room size, etc. The Mini Torii is great with efficient loud speakers which is how I now listen to them. The Zen Triode is a very good amp amp.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #24 - 09/12/15 at 05:18:36

Thanks.......Decisions! My speakers are 94 to 96 DB so I could use either

IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 09/12/15 at 05:26:08

If you are primarily a speaker user, then I would definitely go for the Mini Torii. I am listening to it right now with my Zu Audio Omens. Nicely paired.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #26 - 09/12/15 at 05:29:54

I don't like head phones for long listening sessions too hot.    some day I will have to post my system when I get where I want it to go

IP Logged
Clayton
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 09/12/15 at 05:32:43

I agree. I hate being tethered to headphones. Music should be enjoyed while sitting comfortably in front of the speakers or occasionally roaming the room. Good luck! And whatever you decide to get, you can't go wrong with Decware.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #28 - 09/13/15 at 00:44:17

I like your whit tops they look nice together.  I was able to pick up two JAN 6189 made by Sylvania in 1-68 but no E80CC's to be had.    I will have to decide if they are worth the price if I can find them.   this 6189 sounds pretty good though!

IP Logged
KP
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 10/05/15 at 16:57:49

Amazing set! Shocked

IP Logged
ossidian
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 11/27/18 at 22:17:40

There is something elegant about the white tops.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print