Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:24:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Late" Torii Mk III with white chassis (Read 8244 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

"Late" Torii Mk III with white chassis
11/17/13 at 13:23:49

This week I moved my most recent Decware amp purchase, one of the final Torii Mk IIIs with the white chassis, into my main system after 2000 hours or so in my second system, replacing my trusty well-seasoned Mk III.

The new one has the bass controls, and a stepped attenuator, the former something my other Mk III did not have and could not have added. The bass controls are very cool. In my home in Texas this would have been an amazing control. Here I have less of a compelling need for these controls, but they are still fun to use and dial in the sound. The latter is a nice addition; I find the stepped attenuators add a bit of accuracy that the pots don't.

Both of my Mk IIIs have the beeswax caps, a modification worth the expenditure. I can clearly hear that "signature" in both amps.

Though I expected some differences due to the seasoning of the earlier Mk III, I did not expect as much of a sonic difference. Even though the new one should be 'broken in" there is a clear difference in the depth of the sound and a sense of "ease" to the playback between the old and the new. So much so that I tried a whole lot of tube rolling to see if that might be a factor or could bring about an improvement. I kept going back to the same tube set of VR and rectifier and output tubes leaving the 6N1P input tubes in place. So I tried yet again the 6922 tubes I had on hand and a pair of 6DJ8, and this reinforced my feeling that the 6N1P is THE tube for this position. None of the other sounded "right" in comparison.

I'm tempted to put the former Mk III back in! This leads me to believe that seasoning for years makes these amps amazing machines, they just get better and better and very hard to replace!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: "Late" Torii Mk III with white chassis
Reply #1 - 11/23/13 at 23:06:20

just noticed I put this thread in the Taboo Mk III forum by mistake! Sorry!

Today I added my new CSP2+ to the main system from the second system where it had aged about 600 hours. This one is identical to my original except that it has two stereo outputs (not using that feature) and the Jupiter beeswax caps. Both have stepped attenuators.

At first I was "whoa, this needs more time." Didn't sound right. Then I remembered I had installed an audiophile fuse I got from Mike and hadn't tried it in both directions. Changed directions. . . and WHOA! This is one fine sounding preamp! The beeswax caps make a significant difference, indeed.

I feel that this has put me about where I was with the seasoned Torii as far as tonality goes, I'm very happy and relaxing into the sound the few minutes I have left before going back to my parents. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 11/24/13 at 18:02:18

I was wondering why I hadn't seen this thread, I don't go into the Taboo section much .  ;D

So, are you saying that audiophile fuse really made that much of a difference?

It's nice to hear seasoning really helped the amp out. I'm tempted to put Jupiter caps in my SE84-A but then I think I'd have to start that 15 years of seasoning all over again! I'm already positive that the upgrades Steve did to the amp, while helpful sound-wise , seemed to have set it back a bit in the seasoning - so I agree with you that this stuff does get sweeter with age.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/24/13 at 20:11:16

Interesting....what fuse brand is this? What is recommended as a fuse upgrade?

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/24/13 at 20:41:28

I had to look it up in the Classifieds. . . IsoClean was the brand.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/24/13 at 20:45:12

LR, to be honest I put the fuse in when I got the preamp, then put the preamp in  my second system and ran it continuously for over four weeks, then stuck it in the main system. So I don't know what THIS CSP2+ with beeswax caps sounds like with the stock fuse. And it's the only CSP2+ I have with the beeswax caps.

The directionality of the fuse is really apparent to me. I have a different brand in my Torii, which was directional too, but not quite to this extent.

The caps DO take a bit of time to season. I had them put in my old Torii and it did take a few hundred hours to settle in. But everything else was still seasoned and I'd say after a few thousand hours they were not holding anything back, the amp is better with the caps, there's no question.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/24/13 at 21:05:04

Lon,  I'm glad to hear that the IsoClean fuse is working out for you.  

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/24/13 at 21:31:25

Thanks Mike,  yeah I like it. Now if I could just remember where I put the other one I got from you so I wouldn't lose it. . . Wink

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/24/13 at 22:51:42

They are pretty small...:)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/24/13 at 23:50:00

Yes, and I'm totally disorganized because I'm always trying to squeeze as much listening and stereo-futzing in as I can the little time I am at my place, and I do things in a disorganized and unrememerable way from time to time. Sigh. Hopefully it will turn up and I can put it in the other CSP2+ in the main system. Or I will buy another one or two. The IsoClean is nice!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print