Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 10:32:19 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Torii MK4 - Tube Rolling and Some Observations (Read 17683 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MK4 - Tube Rolling and Some Observations
Reply #150 - 04/28/17 at 02:21:55

I ran some OB3's and the sound was milder and less forward. When I replaced the OA3's the volume increased slightly and the sound was more forward.

White noise is probably due to inputs. JJ E88CC sound good but quality control at JJ in general is not good. You need spares because you could experience sudden tube death.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 04/28/17 at 05:14:07

the higher noise inputs were the tubes that came stock in the torii.  they seem to be etched in russian, maybe?  i'm really happy with the lower noise floor and dynamics of the jj teslas, but i agree they had a bit too much gain.  looking for something maybe more neutral.  i'm also interested in widening my sound stage.  thanks guys!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 04/28/17 at 17:42:26

In my experience, if sound stage is decent in a setup, it can increase with more clarity and spaciousness, also contributing to solving masking as much as possible. As you have probably explored, this can be adjusted with many ways in the room, but simple speaker placement can do a lot. To find the placement for the least offensive tonal buildup and frequency attenuation patterns can be pretty amazing, and where the best placement is can change with tube changes.

Ultimately, by reducing signal push, like with the OB3 replacing an OA3, offensive frequency imbalances become less focused and powerful. And speaker placement/room treatments, help to solve overlapping and frequency canceling sound waves...room-wide, and at the listening seat. Together with tube adjustments, definition and space can be improved, in part due to better definition, to solving masking, and part due to less conflicting reflection patterns that confuse the ear/mind. Less power in the signal from tubes reduces masking/density/thickness and increases definition, and speaker placement can help in the same areas...so they can go hand in hand.

More revealing sound from tubes makes speaker placement more audible, so changing tubes might allow new speaker placement information. And spaciousness and definition with room/speaker changes, and with tubes (also power, cables, vibration solutions, etc) can really improve the soundstage. The right distance from the wall to solve too much bass in the balance and associated, muddled low mids, can be easier to find (and change) with more open clarity from tubes. Speaker width, and subtle (or not-so subtle) toe changes can be refined being better heard.

It sounds like the OB3/JJ E88CC combo is less boomy, but perhaps similarly forward as when you had OA3s and 6N23P (pretty likely the Russian tubes you had)???

The OB3 worked across the spectrum, reducing "forwardness" bass included...it reduces the push and power a bit. So if the sound with this combo is similarly pushy as with the original tubes, but less boomy, the JJ inputs may be powering up at least the mids compared to the 6N23P, countering part of the OB3 change???

Reducing the push with regulators naturally tones down and cleans up the whole signal a bit. Bass build up being a challenge in most rooms, and excess bass causing thickness from the lowest bass to the mids, over-saturated, too big bass, sounds less dynamic, more muddy/boomy. By calming down the whole of the signal density and push, bass over saturation and masking is generally reduced, and the system/room can become more dynamic with better bass definition, sounding like "better" bass. By reducing the bass, it can sound bigger.

Since solving low end masking can be a big problem for soundstage, and the Torii can be powerful at it given challenging situations, I can't emphasize it enough. Since you had boom, you likely had low end masking leaking into the mids and blurring definition and space. Question becomes, what happens if you go further with opening the sound.

A good test tube-wise, would be to stick in your new OD3s for a while. They will take the signal density a few notches less pushy, and more open/spacious than the OB3. I would recommend this to help identify the parameters of your overall sound in your room, and your sound stage. If the OD3 sounds "right" to you with your present tubes, or too lean, this would tell a lot in terms of further recommendations.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 04/29/17 at 04:41:12

Thank you very much will for that fantastic explanation and response.  i'm going to drop those 0d3's in a few minutes.  will report back.  Here is a crummy shot of my listening space. Listening space is about 15'-18' away.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tn2qN

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 04/30/17 at 01:58:48

The past couple days I've been enjoying some GZ 32s in my CSP3s, replacing 50's RCA 5V4Gs that had been there.  An Ediswan in the second system, not sure of the date code...it has a loose base and I'm reluctant to take it out just to look.  A 1960 Blackburn Mullard is in the Main system.  I like them so much I'm thinking about a NOS Matched pair for the Torii...LORD HELP ME!!  haha

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 05/10/17 at 03:10:26

My Torii with the new 807's installed. I like the NOS look of the brown based 807 tubes and the diabolical looking adapters with the white caps and wires. They are complemented by Tesla PCC88 inputs; Mullard 75C1 regulators, and the violet glow of 1940's RCA OB3's, with RCA 5Z3s in their adapters; this way they stand equally high with the 807s.  

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/pricejcp/IMG_6352_zpsjunt0q4h.jpg

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 05/10/17 at 12:06:27

They look very cool, how do they sound?

jd

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 05/13/17 at 04:18:24

I bought a quad of 1940's Canadian Westinghouse 807's as well as a pair of 1961 Russian equivalents with brown bases. I'm using a Russian and a Westinghouse on each side. They sound nice, as Will has previously stated with the NOS sound and micro detail. I am experiencing a bit more hum from the right side than I am accustomed to. I hear hum coming from the amp and from the right speaker. The left side is normal. The amp has always been quiet with the KT66 and the 6L6 in place. I'm going to swap out some of the tubes to isolate the problem tube(s). It could be a rectifier that is going bad. Although these military RCA 5Z3's seem pretty rugged and serviceable. I hope that the problem is not one of the adapters.  

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 05/14/17 at 00:45:59

Seems that the hum was being caused by a renegade rectifier.

55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 05/14/17 at 01:30:58

I never got clear on this, but quite a while ago I put in some later RCA 807s just to check them out, and got a noticeable hum. The GZ32 rectifiers I was using were fine with my standard quad of 807s, so a attributed it to one of the newer 807s, but did not struggle with narrowing it down at the time. Some time later, I put the same (noisy) 807s in, now with a different pair of rectifiers (Fivre 5R4GY), and all was quiet for my MKIV, well as quiet as is usual, which is not totally quiet. Got me...Now with the same old GZ32 in and my usual quad...quiet.

I also bought some spare adapters not long after falling for the 807s...and some time later, sure enough, one of the cheap adapters I had been using for quite a while started to short in the base. I could not get into it to fix it, so lost one.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 05/14/17 at 04:05:19

I popped in a Sylvania 5U4G in the right side which reduced the hum noticeably, but that side still has more hum than the left. I will try some different rectifiers tomorrow bilaterally and switch around the power tubes

55   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 05/31/17 at 05:34:51

just popped in a pair of mullard pcc88s.  so far i notice a major increase in gain.

so far mullard NOS 7dj8
NOS rayethon ob3a
sovtek 5ar4s cryoset
cryoset kt77s

it's all over the place but the sound just keeps improving.  do you guys have any thoughts on these tubes working together?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 05/31/17 at 21:47:15

If you went from 6N1P your gain increase makes sense. They are quieter tubes before distortion than 6922, 6DJ8, 7DJ8 types. Are your KT77 JJ or Gold Lion...difference in sound in a similar vein there.

But generally, this set likely has quite good dynamics, tight bass, with open, articulate, and textured mids...very good speed, space, and micro detail. If after settling in, you like your sound in general and would like to take it further, your weakest link is likely your Sovteks. Better rectifiers with similar, but more refined character will likely notch the whole up.

Sovtek GZ34 are Mullard copies. Generally, though varied depending on vintage and construction, Mullard GZ34 are considered by most the best of the type and very, very good. So if you like your tonal balance, speed, space, density and micro information, etc, NOS Mullard, or other Phillips made GZ34s would take it to new levels. They can come with many different labels, different European makes, and even American seeming GE or Hammond, those companies contracting tubes from Phillips.

If your sound would improve from a bit less density, thickness and and bass, while keeping GZ qualities of fast, open, articulate, textured, spacious, with tight bass, NOS Phillips made GZ32 would calm the density and thickness down further, similarly to OB3 replacing OA3. These too are variable by vintage and construction, but this generally describes the differences between GZ34 and GZ32 made by Phillips companies.

After everything is burned in and the amp adjusted to get the most from this tube set, if you want something specific to happen, just ask.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 06/02/17 at 03:42:00

the kt 77s are JJ teslas i purchased from cryoset.  thanks for all the feedback.  i just love toying with the tube sets.  i just wish i didnt have to spend money each time i wanted to change the sound!?!?! Cheesy

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 06/02/17 at 21:21:44

Yes I liked those JJs for the most part when I was testing them. Nice powerful tube in the Torii.

I get the buying part. Luckily, my love of tubes solved my issues with buying new ones to check out. Not in a hurry, good prices, buying now and then encouraged the exploration. After years, there are plenty of all types to mix and match in different ways into all kinds of combinations of beauty! I love to do that every so often...sometimes pretty often, refining the tube set.

Have fun!

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 06/11/17 at 06:03:50

interesting development.  i decided to pop the gold lion kt66s in with the mullard NOS pcc88 and i really dig what i'm hearing.  the dynamics seem more relaxed and less punchy.  saxophones are less grating and the midrange is pretty liquid.  the bass is just on the tight end of muddy.  overall i like it.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 06/11/17 at 16:56:30

Sounds like nice tuning! This is why I love having a number of tube choices, to tune or fine-tune a set. With PCC88s, KT77, and GZ34, (especially with the lower key/more open OB3) each of those can contribute of open clarity, dynamics and tight bass. If too much, rounding this set down with the warmer/bigger/thicker Gold Lion KT66 sounds like great solution. Great tube in the right company.

I am always amazed. I seem to need a pretty narrow window of space, body, extension, detail complexity, balance, etc. But each time I change up a tube set, finding that place that brings out the best of all the tubes used...the combination makes a sound like no other really. Yet it fits my relatively narrow window. Once fine-tuned, the combination  with different tube influences, I hear/feel the musical beauty in new ways, with new excitement.

Confessions of a inveterate tube roller?
Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #167 - 06/11/17 at 20:36:14

Will, I confess I'm becoming more of a tube roller than I have been for a while. The Taboo Mk III started it up for me again as it was a new experience and it was so easy to hear instantaneous changes via headphones. And then I stretched the habit over to the Torii Mk III.

Initially I became worried that my Amperex 7308s I've used a few years might be getting long in the tooth (a suspicion that doesn't seem to be verified, in comparison to NOS unused tubes I've been rolling these 7308s are still strong and hearty). I noticed that certain "offbeat" types from quality makers were considerably cheaper than the more recognized types and so tried a few out. I also decided to start with fresh 0A3 and 0A2 tubes and got a NOS pair of RCA OA3 and a fresh set of RCA 0A2, as well as a Tesla tube that is similar to the 0A2, the 11TA31. I bought two pair of Mazda PCC189 tubes, a pair of Mullard ECC189 and a pair of Amperex ECC189. Each of these sound quite good in a complement with either of the three types of output tubes I seem to rotate, the 0A3s and either the 0A2 or 11TA31. So far my favorite are the Amperex ECC189 with the 11TA31 and the Mullard with the RCA 0A3. The Mazda are quite good though on some material the high end is just a bit uncontrolled, some splashiness on occasion. They may need some more break in.

My tube-rolling is ramping up. . . though I'm nowhere near the "driving me crazy" stage I have reached in the past. . . still I'm ready to turn my attention elsewhere, to a second system where I am trying to set up a headphone/small bookcase system and rotating the amps and preamps I have in storage. . . .

And later this week new operating software for the DirectStream DAC will be on hand and more changes. Sigh. I suspect they will be good changes though. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 06/14/17 at 00:53:29

ok - so tubedepot dot com is having a 15% off sale today and that makes me feel like replacing my kt66's.  i'm currently running gold lions but they are a few years old.  any suggestions?

thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 06/14/17 at 01:56:07

Hey Lon. Thanks for sharing your latest explorations. I never got around to trying PCC189. I always bogged down, not finding conclusive verification that they are functionally like PCC88s...some say yes, some no. Same with ECC189...just have not gone there to find out if they would work in our amps. So thanks for verifying this!

As you know, though I really like many 6922 types, especially in the power position on the CSP3, and occasionally in the Torii MKIV, I tend to prefer PCC88 and ECC88 over E88CC/7308/6922 in my Toriis. So this is great information.

Also the Tesla OA2 sounds interesting. Though I am pretty hooked on 751Cs, I do like the Haltron OA2 I have. Not generally falling for OB2 compared to OC2/751C, it surprised me that I liked liked the the even lower key OA2s. But they have a sweet tonal balance with excellent openness, warmth, and fine-detail. The less-powerful, softer presentation balances nicely for me, though the way everything else is set up, I do miss some of the power, punch, body and bass the 75C1s offer. On the other hand, though the less forceful OA2 loses body and bass, it gains in space, lucidity, and more space for very fine detail information. And with the OA2 I can really push the CSP3 in the mix, which is interesting. Still not sure about these, but compelling... I need to explore these more and tune to them. Balancing them with OA3 over OB3 sounds interesting. Using the OA2 to power down the inputs, and OA3 to power up the power tubes. The sound balancing options with Toriis are amazing!

The Mazda PCC189 I saw on ebay looked to be English/BVA made A-frames. I wonder if this is what you got. The A-frame ECC88s I have are particularly open/clear for the type, usually with good texture also...but a different sound that seems associated with the A-frames. Seems they can tend a little upper-mid-to-top oriented, and sometimes with a little more rigidity to the clarity. But with the right company, pretty great. Not sure this is an A-frame trait across tube types, but maybe.

I agree, I would try and get the Mazdas burned in before drawing conclusions, maybe solving the wild top forays, but also the A-frame effect may be at play to some degree.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 06/14/17 at 02:27:14

roggae,

It sounds like the Gold Lions are pretty good with your other tubes. That is a powerful tube, very influential, but also pretty variable depending upon the company it is with. They are a "big" sounding tube to me, and can be pretty fast and natural sounding, or they can be pretty syrupy and a little slowish depending on the rest of the tubes.

If you want the general feel of the Gold Lion, but want to shift more open, less "warm" and "syrupy," the other old school KT66 copy (the tubedepot calls it Sino KT66) would likely open things up. It looks to me like this is the same base tube TAD and Valve Art sell. Their selection processes may matter, but not having compared I can't comment on that. I have Valve Arts that look like the same tube as these "Sino" KT66, and they have a biggish KT66 sound, but less warm/thick than Gold Lion...more open/clear, and faster feeling.

This is not to say I think it is a better tube...just different. If the Gold Lions seem "right" in these areas, it is likely more right than the Sino with the other tubes you are using.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #171 - 06/14/17 at 02:40:01

Will, these Mazda seem to have more of a frame grid construction (?) than an A frame to me. (I added a pic). An odd tube, may well not even be NOS, may be something else (the nomenclature "Made in England" is a bit unusual for NOS)--they also are marked BVA. They do have a lean yet textured sound and it's nice with the Tesla which have a rounder signature. Even though I did put another few days on them that uncontrolled top end hasn't seemed to change its behavior. In a way it is more accurate than I had first given it credit for as the splashiness occurs most in recordings that have a hot top end.

s-l1600.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #172 - 06/14/17 at 02:49:08

I think with your tube stash you would find any of these PCC189 and ECC189 to work for you, the prices have certainly been right.

Surprisingly the new Huron firmware has prompted me to do more tube-rolling; there seems a lowered noise floor and a heightened instrumental shape and a burst of new clarity. From my recent tube choices I was surprised that one that seemed a bit too "smoothing" to me before hand has become the best choice today: RCAs that the seller is calling Mullard made. With the Tesla regulators there is a nice body and dynamic nature to the sound and no frequencies seem to be favored or misrepresented. This pair was particularly cheap. . . I'll be on the lookout for another in this price range.

s-l1600-1.jpg

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 06/14/17 at 02:50:02

Lon, Will - I'm really enjoying this banter.

Will - i agree about the gold lions.  currently in this configuration, the GLs are very gooey and almost flabby, but they have great openness in sound stage.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 06/14/17 at 02:53:14

I'll try those 751C regulators again soon, I just have been seduced by the 0A3/0A2 combo regulating the tubes and with fresh tubes of both types on hand I find it hard to move away from them.

The Tesla surprise me. They seem to add a bit of dynamic range to the input tubes and give a bit of body to a dry top end. A fun discovery, and I'm glad I got four of them at once because I know I'll want a back up pair in time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #175 - 06/14/17 at 03:01:46

Re: Gold Lion: I believe Will is right that the TAD are the basic "Sino" (Shuguang I think is the factory) KT66 that Valve Art also uses. TAD may have made a few changes on the standard, they have done that on some tubes in their EL84 range, but they don't appear to be very different. I think they carefully select quality tubes--on top of that I bought a quad cryo'd by Ron at Cryoset.com and they have lasted surprisingly long for me, over two years. I find that I can build different tube complements around them and they respond well. Gold Lion were my second favorite of those that I tried and Tung-Sol my least favorite. Pretty soon I need to buy a new quad and may go with Gold Lion. I had a similar experience to Will's with them, and enjoyed the variety I could get from them. Currently I'm mostly using JJ 6CA7, and I'm finally encountering the problems others have with them which is a shame as I think these may be my favorite tubes with the Torii Mk III. So I would suggest either getting another quad of Gold Lions or trying out the TAD--I certainly have had a very positive experience with the TAD.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 06/14/17 at 20:49:13

I see, the Mazdas look like they have O getters. Sorry about my confusion.

I think the "made wherever" thing may have been pretty common for a while for tubes contracted from other makers. I have several pair of old RCA labelled ECC88s, one saying made in Germany, and they do look like early 60's Siemens tubes...and two "made in Great Britain" with construction that does look like they could be Mullard. I also have some GE labelled 6922 gold pins, one says "made in Holland" and one "made in England." They have identical construction, using the classic Mullard parasol getters... so I am guessing the England label is right, and Holland not! I wonder if the "buyer" company labelled these, and someone screwed up on a batch. Hard to say on the Mazdas, but I suppose it is possible they were made by BVA.

I don't have any Teslas 11TA31 (I ordered a pair), but I hear excellent dynamics the Hytron OA2...they seem fast. I think the main difference with the 75C1 is probably that they power up the input more. This balances more toward bass, reads with more body, and gives a bigger/rounder overall sound push to the dynamics.

I look forward to trying these tubes. It is all fun!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #177 - 06/15/17 at 00:43:58

Oddly with the 0A3s I get a tighter, less bass-centric sound with the 75C1, at least with the other tubes I was using at the time. The RCA 0A2s give me a dynamic presentation too, but with a dryer, more defined signature compared to the Tesla rounder signature. Time for me to try the 75C1 again, probably later this week. I am really enjoying the Tesla a lot and I think you will enjoy playing with them.

Those Mazda puzzle me. . . I read that some suppliers think that "Made in England" is a sign of fakes, as predominantly tubes were labeled "Made in Great Britain." Still these don't look Russian or Chinese and they do have the BVA designation. Anyway time for me to try them out again soon as well. It is fun to tube roll but I had a lot of variables going this week and it got daunting. Now that the firmware "Huron" is installed and I decided that the "new" PS Audio HDMI cable is inferior to the "old" PS Audio HDMI cable and returned that to service the variables are lessened. The "Huron" firmware has made an impact and so far the RCA/Mullards have taken the lead in the best fit category, which they did not with the previous firmware. Rolling firmware in this DAC is a lot like rolling tubes!

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 06/28/17 at 22:42:15

Lon,

what is the problem the you're noticing with those KT77s?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #179 - 06/28/17 at 23:28:55

I don't have KT77s, haven't used them yet. I'm was talking about the JJ 6CA7s I've been using. I had one of a quad fail on me after only about five months. This current quad I have one tube that doesn't come into full play til it warms up and literally "pops" on. I probably shouldn't use it but I've only had the quad for four months or so and the sounds is fantastic. These really are the best output tubes I've used in the Torii Mk III. Great bass and sweet treble and wide-open mid-range. Dynamic too. So. . . I keep hoping that I can get a year out of this pair and I have another quad don the shelf. When I first started using these (and Steve was shipping them with amps) I didn't have these problems. . . .

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 06/29/17 at 02:34:41

oh ok.  i was mistaken.  honestly i am so confused by the naming for these tubes sometimes it makes my head spin.... Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #181 - 06/29/17 at 13:53:43

'S alright. I get confused too.

I realize I'm the lone sloan posting about the Mk III in this Mk IV thread. . . just following a conversation and forgot for a while that I was on a Mk IV thread! I'm sure there are some differences that are significant in tube rolling, probably mostly because of the differences in tone controls.

But to summarize my position I'm finding that the Mullard input and Tesla voltage regulation tubes are the combo that are going to get the most coupling in this Mk III. With this combo the "High Regulation" mode on my P10 is very musical and fits much of the material I listen to. "Less Distortion" mode is also very good especially for very transparent recordings. I am really enjoying the sound.

After a spell of enchantment with KT66 tubes I'm back to using JJ 6CA7 for the nonce because they just have something no other output tube I've used has, a tonal balance that allows me to be very flexible with other elements of the complement. The reliability though is a worry.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 08/01/17 at 03:02:37

Well i'm back at it.  I had a little extra scratch so i spent it on tubes.  Picked up some jj ecc88 gold pins, some jj el 34s, and some sino kt66s.  currently i have the jje88cc, stock 6x4's, raytheon ob3s, and genelex kt66s.  i'm pretty much always happy with the sound i get out od the torii.  it's just really fun to kind of pop in some new tubes and hear a very different sound.  :D

IP Logged
Andrew Bryant
Verified Member

Reply #183 - 03/09/18 at 01:43:56

Great thread. My tube rolling obsession seems to be in full swing these days and I have been doing some research on some output tubes that I do not hear a lot about with the Torii iv. I got a NOS quad set of Tung-Sol 6AR6 for about $60 and bought the chinese made adapters for about the same price as the tubes. I asked Steve if these tubes would be ok in the Torii and he gave his blessing. I am going to give these a listen tomorrow and will report back. I don't have super high expectations but tube rolling is fun in and of itself.
I just received a quad of strong RCA 6L6GB black plates (similiar to the famed 6L6GC). The GB has a few watts less output but I thought they would be worth a try at less than half the price of the GCs. I listened to these tonight for the first time and they sound very good and very different than other 6L6s I have. I paid about $150 for the quad.
My new favorite tube is the GE 6L6GC. Mine are a matched
mish-mash labled Bogen, Baldwin and GE and sound phenomenal. I paid $140 for these and they are head and shoulders above anything else I have at the moment. I am going to keep an eye out for another quad to have as back ups.
I have a quad of NOS RCA 6BG6G (very close to an 807) that I am excited to hear but I am waiting on the adapters from...you guessed it, China. I also have some russian 807s on the way as well.
I also have some RFT el34s that are ok imho but with my setup 6L6s seem to sound the best by far in my set up.  I also have some new stock Gold Lion KT77s that I like better than the RFTs. I am going to spend some coin to get some Mullards one day as well as some new stock 350b.
For input tubes I have tried a bunch and nothing seems to touch my US Amperex PQs. For regulation tubes I have some Hydrotons in right now and have a bunch of others. I have some old fat bottle Philco 5U4 that look really cool but right now I have some RCA 5Y3 in. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

Andrew

VPI Scout->ATA pp->
Hovland HP100->Torii mkIV
Neko DAC->
  IP Logged
norolex
Verified Member

Reply #184 - 08/29/18 at 19:38:27

I'm new to the forum but have been reading through some of the posts since getting my Zen Torii MK IV a few months ago. It great to be back in the tube world and I'm thrilled with the music this amp puts out. I've been rolling tubes quite a bit and appreciate all of the great info found here. Has anyone tried 0E3s in the MK IV? Comments seem to cover the range through 0D3s but having recently come across a couple of metal base Amperex 0E3s on eBay I was wondering whether they are worth exploring. Currently I have a pair of Brimar 0A3As which I think are pretty impressive. I have 0B3s coming soon. Thanks-

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 08/29/18 at 22:50:31

Hello norolex,

Sounds fun!

I have never seen the OE3, but searching it, it looks like a different base than the Torii uses, the OE3 using a "lock-in, 3 pin" base, and larger Torii VR has a standard 8 pin socket. So even if they worked electronically, it looks to me like they would not fit.

The OB3 coming will let you hear if you would like to go further in reducing the intensity of the power tubes by trying OC3 or OD3s. I have tried them all and like them all, but in my setting, always go back to OB3s. This of course is system/room, tube set, and taste dependent. Many stay with OA3s for the most power to the power tubes; some end up with OD3s to open things and reduce bass and intensity the most; and many end up in between like me. For me, OA3s are a little intense in density and push, so I lean it down a touch with OB3s.

Also, as you explore, as your Brimars sound different than the stock tubes (often Russian), within each type (A,B,C,D), most I have tried sound a bit different, another way to fine tune if you want.

Then there are changing the little VR, stock OC2, with different brands, or types, like 75C1/CV4080s (close to OC2 electronically); or trying OB2 and OA2 (or 11TA31) to tone it back some. With similar effects as going from OA3 to OB3/OC3/OD3 for power VRs, due to their influence on the input tubes, these little VRs change the personality of the sound in similar ways, but a little differently.

Hope this helps,

Will

IP Logged
norolex
Verified Member

Reply #186 - 08/30/18 at 17:55:48

thanks Will - very helpful. I'll hear soon what 0B3s offer, they should  arrive any day. The Brimar 0A3As bring a noticeable improvement in clarity over the RCA, Sylvania and National 0A3's I've been rolling. The rest of my current setup includes Valvo 75C1s, Telefunken PCC88s, Sophia Electric Aqua 274Bs and Gold Lion KT77s. NO COMPLAINTS!
-Norm

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 08/30/18 at 22:18:06

Hey Norm,

Glad that helps. Sounds like a nice tube set! I really like 75C1s and have some Amperex labelled OA3As that I had similar impressions of as you with your Brimars. I have yet to try the Sophias. I bet they are nice. I will be interested to hear how you find the OB3s. Fun!

IP Logged
norolex
Verified Member

Reply #188 - 09/07/18 at 19:35:02

My 0B3s came the other day and I had the chance to roll them last night. Very cool sound. My initial impression is smoother with more ambient detail. A more ethereal vibe. I listen primarily to jazz, small group material. Some Jakob Bro and Arve Henriksen sounded dreamier if a bit less intense.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 09/07/18 at 20:28:10

These sound like really good observations to me! For denser recordings especially, I really like the traits you noticed. When aspects of what can contribute to "density" carry into thickness and forcefulness, I don't like it. The OB3 has always helped resolve that here.

IP Logged
norolex
Verified Member

Reply #190 - 09/13/18 at 19:12:46

I have some Winged 'C' 6L6s coming today and while I hadn't planned to pick up any power tubes right now I stumbled on a review that changed my mind. I've been loving the Gold Lion KT77s but I listen to so much jazz guitar the Winged 'C's were too hard to ignore. Much of my tube rolling comes from curiosity rather than dissatisfaction. I love all of the nuances of sound that the MKIV brings to my life.

IP Logged
norolex
Verified Member

Reply #191 - 02/05/19 at 22:12:25

I just ordered a quad of EH 6AC7's for my MKIV. Thanks Lon for posting your experiences even if they relate to your MKIII. After getting to a comfortable place with my setup I've started to revisit the power tubes. I bought my amp used and it came with a nice compliment of tubes to get started. For power tubes I've rolled: Tung Sol KT66, GL KT66 & KT77, Svetlana EL34, Mullard EL34, 6L6 =C=, Reflector 6L6 and lastly the EH6CA7s. Too soon to tell but I may be in agreement with Lon - there is a rightness about the 6CA7s across the spectrum that grabs my attention. I had the Tung Sol KT66s in just prior and was loving the chime I was hearing but everything seems to fall into place with these.  Looking forward to the rest of the week to listen to some more music. There aren't that many 6CA7s out there which is a good thing as far as limiting the $ spent checking out the landscape. Anyone tried the Psvanes?

IP Logged
norolex
Verified Member

Reply #192 - 02/09/19 at 17:43:13

Anyone tried a 6bg6 in their Torii?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print