Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:28:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MK IV, JansZen zA2.1, Marantz sources (Read 880 times)
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Torii MK IV, JansZen zA2.1, Marantz sources
11/13/13 at 19:03:12

Here's my listening space.  The wall behind me is pretty filled floor to ceiling with a variety of stuff to difuse the sound.  The setup is roughly a 7' equalateral triangle between the speakers to the listening seat.

My other components:
JansZen zA2.1 speakers
Cary SLP 98P preamp with phono
Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player
Marantz TT 15S1 turntable with ClearAudio Virtuoso cart modified with type 3 Soundsmith upgrade
Anti Cable interconnects and speaker cables
PS Audio Quintet power conditioner
Decware DHC1 power cord for Torii
Shunyata Venom 3 for the Quintet
Herbies tenderfeet under all electronics
2 1/4" Boos block cutting board with ISO Block pads under TT
[img][/img]

Full_view_with_Torii_sm_001.JPG

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MK IV, JansZen zA2.1, Marantz sources
Reply #1 - 11/13/13 at 19:10:15

I couldn't figure out how to add a second image.  Here's a closeup of the Torii.  You may notice that the stock rectifiers are tilted slightly to avoid rubbing on the KT66s.  I have since replaced those with some great sounding Philips tubes.  They have a slightly slimmer bottle which works better and improves the already wonderful transparency.

[img][/img]

Torii_on_rack_sm.JPG

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/13/13 at 19:15:23

Just beautiful.  So many people have spoken of those speakers here, including Steve, I may have to hear them for myself sometime. Are they well driven with the 25 watt Torii MK IV?  Please describe the sound....what you like about them.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/13/13 at 19:40:54

The JansZens, barring anything unforeseen, will be my last speakers.  Their sensitivity ranges from 87dB to 90dB depending on how much you turn up the bass and tweeter controls on the back.  I am probably somewhere in the middle then.  

The 25 watts gives me all the sound I want.  The crossover between the dual woofers and the dual ESL panels in each cabinet is a simple first order design and the overall load is very benign.  These are easy on the amp.  I think that is because the panels are pretty small and the overall impedance range is narrow.  I'm running on the 8 ohm tap.

My current room is small (13' x 12') and very quiet so I don't need to push things much.  The amp will however give out before the speakers will.  Unlike some other ESLs these speakers can put out some pretty firm output with nice punchy bass.

As to the sound I would say it is extremely even and flat all the way down to 30Hz.  All the ESL virtues are at play: midrange to die for, clarity, transparency, and timbre accuracy.  The bass woofers are the best example of seamless blending in any hybrid I've heard.  The woofers are also very fast and very tight.  No additional damping is needed.  The crossover is at 500Hz, just about the middle of a piano keyboard.  When I listen to solo piano running up and down the keyboard I simply cannot detect any cutover or change in timbre.  This to me is the acid test for a hybrid.  

Before I bought the Torii I thought pretty highly of these speakers.  Now with about 2 months break in for the Torii under my belt these sound like I gave them a $3k upgrade.  Oh wait, I guess I did. Grin

Good speakers should reveal any change in the system and reward you if the change is positive.  I had a high quality SS amp before the Torii that really didn't have any sonic faults other than being SS.  The Torii added, well, you know.  These speakers are worth their cost.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/13/13 at 20:42:24

Wow, beautiful room and amazing setup!  Do you use the Cary for a Preamp with the Torii or do you go directly into the Torii?

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/13/13 at 20:56:07

I use the Cary for both sources.  It has a very nice mm phono stage that sounds better than a McIntosh SS preamp that preceeded it.  I don't have another phono preamp to try but a local friend of mine has the Decware ZP3 that I may be able to get him to bring over some time.   I like having the preamp's remote control however for volume and mute functions, in addition to the additional gain for dynamics that it provides.

With the CD player I have tried it both ways and I clearly prefer having the Cary in the loop.  CDs are pretty listenable this way.  I don't hear any tonal changes or congestion when using the Cary and it isn't even their flagship unit.   I really like this setup.  Maybe a TT upgrade some day.  I really don't listen to CDs all that often.

Scott

[img][/img]

Pre_and_power_sm.JPG

IP Logged
KP
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/05/15 at 16:58:55

Beautiful set up.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/05/15 at 18:10:59

Thanks, KP.  Like everyone's setup, mine has evolved as well.  Since the original picture was posted, I've upgraded from the the Torii IV to the ZMA, upgraded preamp tubes, interconnect cables, my primary cartidge and added a SUT.  It's a journey.

The only quest I have left at this point is to invest in a "retirement" turntable and possibly add another cartidge or two for variety.  Everything else is already at a point that I could live with for the long haul.  I will also move once retired (under 3 years and counting) and may need/choose to do some treatments with a new room.  I've avoided doing so in my current room because I know it isn't permanent.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print