Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 16:11:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got my TORII MK4 (Read 12080 times)
EL Capitan
Verified Member

Just got my TORII MK4
11/11/13 at 16:20:13

Hello All,

New amp arrived last Friday and have a question...

I upgraded to the KT-66's and had read on one of the forums they are supposed to have a blue "glow".  I barely see a blue speck in these, and one of the tubes is slightly dimmer than the other three.  The photo on the website shows a gorgeous blue tint, any other owners experience this problem?

-cheers

TorII MK4, ZP3, Silver Reference IC's, Marantz SA-8004, Rega TT, DM 947 Monoliths with the Tori, Stacked NLA Advents with the Marantz 2285B
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Just got my TORII MK4
Reply #1 - 11/11/13 at 16:24:06

The photos on the page are probably long exposure to bring in more light...which exaggerates the tube glow quite a bit.

Under normal conditions, they should glow pretty much like any other tube. I did a quick google search for an example, Even this looks a little exaggerated by the camera, but is a decent example of what I mean.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 11/11/13 at 16:25:40

An example of tube glow with a long exposure.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/11/13 at 16:49:28

My Torii is supposed to arrive today.  I'm sorry that I won't get the bright blue effect.  I have to rearrange things so the Torii will be directly in front of me while I listen with the lights off.  This heightens my enjoyment.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 11/11/13 at 17:16:13

If I recall correctly, some tubes have a bit more blue in them because they aren't 100% oxygen free vacuum. I've had various tubes over the years that glowed quite well, but they were usually older and probably made in a rush rather than expertly made NOS tubes from the heyday.

tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/11/13 at 17:49:34

Both quads of Tung Sol KT66's I've used in my MK IV conversion, had a slight blue glow to them.  

Some tubes have more of the blue "glow" than others.  It goes away after you get some hours on them.

IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/11/13 at 19:34:20

I have been reading the various MK IV posts, reviews, etc. for the past few months, and was awaiting mine with bated breath. UPS delivered this morning...had the day off, and was going to start this sucker up and get to it...and then...drumroll please.......it was someone else's amp! Is there a George Linens anywhere on the forum...paging George Linens! Though the amp waiting list had a Lineus G. from Florida, which might be the same guy under different tags. I've got your amp...and I am sure you've got mine!

What a fuckin bummer!

IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/11/13 at 20:01:33

Hi, I have been tracking my shipment which has arrived in Miami today. I live in Trinidad & Tobago, West Indies. Was the package address to you with my name? Should I contact the shipping agent in Miami?

Concerned

IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/11/13 at 20:23:19

Hey what a bit of luck having you on the forum!

I received both packages addressed correctly to James Grillo at 55 Milford St in Mendon, MA. The box with tubes and power cord was correctly shipped as I got the KT66 Tung Sol upgrade. But, when I opened the Pelican Case, your name is on the bottom ownership sticker/serial number. It also seems to be the stock unit, with gold volume knob, correct? Mine was built with a mono/stereo switch and walnut volume knob.

Do what you think might be best. Worst case scenario, they fucked up more than one order instead of just mine and yours. Then they'd all have to be sent back to Illinois.

IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 11/11/13 at 20:25:29

I also just called and left a message with Sarah (though she won't be in the office until tomorrow), and sent both her and Steve an email about the whole situation.

IP Logged
EL Capitan
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/11/13 at 21:11:43

Man, that is a bummer.  Makes my "lack of blue" tubes not quite so bad.  I hope they fix it quickly for you both.

-cheers

TorII MK4, ZP3, Silver Reference IC's, Marantz SA-8004, Rega TT, DM 947 Monoliths with the Tori, Stacked NLA Advents with the Marantz 2285B
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/11/13 at 21:20:17

Jgrillo, after reading about your ordeal, I decided that I better open my Torii MK IV that arrived earlier today. My order was correct...my name on the bottom of the amp and correct tubes sent.  I don't plan on hooking it up for a couple days because I have to get a table out of storage for it.  Plus I want to listen to the new ZP3 that came with it, with my burned in Taboo MK III and CSP3. Hope you get things straightened out quickly.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
EL Capitan
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/11/13 at 21:24:39

Hey Mark,

Please post your comments once you get it all setup, I'm interested in all the users comments.  I have a ZP3 on order, currently using my Marantz 2285 as a phono pre until it arrives.

I'm still getting use to this whole "tube amp' thing, as its my first; ever!

-cheers

IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/11/13 at 21:51:14

I've got the ZP3 and have had it less than a year. It's a beautiful sounding phono pre that just takes any and all edge off the music. No grain, no fatigue, just pure music. The bass has continued to come in, sometimes more nuanced by the day. Overall an amazing upgrade for that price!

That's why I was so excited for the MK IV; $3000 of listening pleasure to bring out more of the best from my ZP3...whenever this gets remedied I will be in analog heaven!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/11/13 at 21:52:33

el_capitan, I've had my Taboo MK III for 3 months and a CSP 3 for about a month.  I only recently got speakers...Zu Audio "Souls"...for a short time.  I listen mainly with Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones but also have some Sennhiser HD 800s that I like only on certain recordings...too bright on most. I haven't rolled tubes yet and have been very pleased with both Decware Amps and I'm confident the others will exceed my expectations. I know the ZP3 will since I was able to use one for a few days in the past...it is heavenly.  I have trouble putting what I hear into words....I don't have the lingo down...but will report back with my experience once the Torii is burned in.  Mark.

IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 11/11/13 at 21:54:43

Hi Jgrillo,

What is the use of the stereo mono switch ? I think the difference between both amps is the switch and volume knob. If so I may be able to live with it.

Regards

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/11/13 at 22:17:48

Jgrillo and glineus, here's my two cents.  Glineus should keep the Amp sent to him...it's an upgrade. Jgrillo, you should send back the stock Amp you got in the pelican case in the meantime Steve could have one built to your specs.  It'd be ready when the stock unit arrived at Decware and your new amp could be sent out the same or following day.  The stock Amp could easily be sold to the next customer in line with just a label change.  Everyone's happy...No?  Mark.

IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 11/12/13 at 00:14:28

Hi Mark58,

This suggestion suits me fine provided that it is sanctioned by Steve, as the amp would not be delivered in Trinidad & Tobago for another two or three weeks. I am still researching the use of the mono/stereo switch.  Is it a feature explained in the amp. section? Can anyone point me in that direction?

I empathize with Jgrillo but I am certain Steve will address the situation to the satisfaction of all parties concerned.

Happy Listening

IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/12/13 at 00:23:30

George,

The stereo/mono switch is just a mono switch that I put on making my mono records as "true mono" as you can get without a mono cartridge (it essentially sums the channels like a couple of Y adapters but w the flick of a switch). It was a $100 upgrade. I am not sure exactly where it would be located, or if it would be a rocker switch like the on/off or the silver toggle switches. The walnut knob will only be for volume, probably not a big deal.

Mark,

Not a bad idea, I can definitely see them eating the $100 to George, repacking his original stock to the next down the line, and hopefully sending my new one with free shipping. I will speak with them tomorrow.

Everyone enjoy your evening!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print