SE84C+ Review
10/31/13 at 23:27:14

7403.jpg
  IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Re: SE84C+ Review
Reply #1 - 01/08/15 at 15:46:44

I received my unit and unpacked it, put it together and fired it up with "Kaya" by Bob Marley. This being an office setup, I don't have a turntable and use a mac to play music into a nice Astell & Kern 120 which I use as a DAC, which then feeds into the amp, which itself feeds Omega desktop speakers. These speakers are something else and until now I was using a nice little Audioengine N22 amp.

Let's just say that the SE84 takes me places I've never been to before.

I am now playing the album I produced with Sly & Robbie called Dubrising and I'm having a blast similar to what I experienced with I was in the mastering studio after the engineer had finished his job. AWESOME!

Thanks Steve Deckert for such a piece of art.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/08/15 at 15:51:17

So glad you are enjoying it out of the box. Wait til it's broken in! And put in a big system!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 01/08/15 at 22:06:20

This wonderful equipment has mostly lacked snob appeal.
Music lovers know the real value of this equipment.
Congrats on your purchase !

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 01/09/15 at 14:08:51

Snob appeal - I love that.

I was at an audio shop before - they were letting me borrow a pair of speakers I was considering buying - I returned them saying they had a lot of sibilance, and they tried to tell me that I had blown them, probably from cranking my amp too loud. When I explained I was running a 2 watt Zen amp, and it was unlikely I blew the tweeters rated at 50 watts, he then started bashing the Zen amp calling it "industrial" and of a "pedestrian design". It made me laugh, especially since I'm still using this amp 16 years later.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #5 - 01/15/15 at 03:14:41

LOL. I'm surprised they didn't say that you blew the speakers due to to clipping because the amp was "underpowered".

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print