Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:26:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Genalex Gold Lion KT77 (Read 19302 times)
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Genalex Gold Lion KT77
10/30/13 at 00:51:42

Received the tubes yesterday from Cyroset. These are beautiful tubes. Smaller then El34's but heavier glass and really well made. You can see the superior quality over JJ's. There slim shape fits the Torii tube sockets really nice as the base fits between the screws that hold in the socket, so the tube can't rock back and forth. Also, the tube fits more snug which is nice.

Immediately with no burn you can hear that the sound signature is quite different. Bigger sound, more weight and authority and yet still somehow even more midrange emphasis on vocals. I first did a comparison with some Bob Dylan mono recordings with JJ 6AC7's on one side and the KT77's on the other. Switching and back forth showed the KT's made Dylan's voice come much more alive and to the forefront. A more euphoric, richer presentation. The bass on these is extraordinary. I already have good bass, but no with change to my bass controls, it is causing vibrations in my room. I have a little wooden chess set on top of one speaker, and the bass knocks the pieces off!

After some burn in and critical listening I report back but so far they seem very promising. I will need to see if I lose any transparency. I am using the 1970's 6N1P's from Cyroset as input tubes. I placed in the Gold Lion 6922's for a bit. But shuddered and took them out right away. Really harsh. I will try again later and see if lots of burn in tames them down, but like Lon, it seems like 6922's just aren't for me.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Re: Genalex Gold Lion KT77
Reply #1 - 10/31/13 at 01:31:56

Remember when Fred (Gopher) was searching for input tunes that would give a splash of seduction to the Torii. While if he could have tried these power tubes, I don't think he would sold his Torii. These are beautiful tubes that have a sweet seductive quality. Almost lush, but without losing detail or transparency. You can turn up the treble pots with these tubes.

Lon, I hate to break it to you, but I think you would love these tubes. You will love the bass and sweet midrange.

Will, if these last as long as they are supposed too, I don't think I will bother with the more expensive Psvane El-34PH.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/31/13 at 01:46:43

Thanks for the impressions. I'll take this in consideration, but I'm happy with the JJ (have an unused cryo'd quad on the shelf as well) and I'm so tired of changing things, I'm standing pat right now.

Enjoy! Hope they hold up.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 10/31/13 at 13:00:04

Sounds like those tubes could be a good "backup" set for the Mystery amp!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #4 - 11/17/13 at 14:22:54

I have also been using the Gold Lion KT-77's in my SE34i.5 integrated. With my Rachel the bass from these Kt-77's took a long while to burn in, the bass was boomy until after 250 hours or so. Now my bass response is tight as it should be. I agree Orangecrush the bass is deeper. I enjoy Lorenz (SEL) 7DJ8's with mine.

Decware Taboo MKIV, Decware Rachel, Decware DNA Speakers, Omega Super 8 Alnico Monitors, Decware Zcd240 & Schiit Gungir MB.
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/20/13 at 22:29:51

Hi Orangecrush,

Just wondering about your impressions after 3 weeks.  I liked what you had to say in the opening post about the Kt77's when new.  I'd be using them w/ National 7dj8 inputs,1950 vintage RCA 5y3gt rectifiers and OB3 regulators,  they'd replace the stock tungsol el34's.  Right now I have a really sweet sound that I really like.  But a touch of the  euphoric sound that you mentioned would be a nice.   Tho if it came at the price of transparency then I'd likely only use them when I felt like hearing a, would it be called, old school tube sound? Which is what I think of when hearing the term euphoric.

Anyways, would like to hear your listening impressions when you get a chance.  

Thanks,
Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/21/13 at 02:46:12

Hi Greg, nothing has changed, these are the best tubes I have ever had in the Torrii. Keep in mind even though I use terms such as euphoric and seductive, this is still a Torii and the speed and transparency still reigns. I am happy to say I notice no loss of transparency and detail. These tubes live up to their hype.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/21/13 at 08:10:10

Thanks OC,  i guess it's time for me to save up for a quad of them.  Can't wait.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/21/13 at 15:57:17

What speakers are you using Greg?

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/21/13 at 17:29:09

DM945's w/ the companion cabinets.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/28/13 at 23:04:42

Just placed an order at Cryoset.com for the 77's. Much cheaper than Upscale Audio, they want $58 each for the cryo'd Gold Lion's.  Looking forward to hearing them.  Thanks for the info OC,  I wouldn't even have thought about them otherwise.

Greg

IP Logged
Valentin
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/09/14 at 10:29:09

Hi all

I use EL 34's on my two Torii Mk III - 8 Tungsol (Decwarre original), or 8 matched NOS Telefunken. Very nice and involving sound, though the Telefunkens are, by a small margin, more "neutral" in my set up. I am hesitant to spend ≈ 400 $ on a matched 8 piece set of GL KT 77. What do you suggest, should I take the risk?

Thank you for your advise.

Val.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print