03/28/24 at 22:07:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bouncing meters (Read 7633 times)
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Bouncing meters
10/26/13 at 21:16:47

What does it mean with the meters moving slightly, but you have no signal passing into the amp.

Is the transformer getting saturated by DC on the line? The transformer hums a fair amount.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Bouncing meters
Reply #1 - 10/27/13 at 00:30:46

Piecing it together this is your other new Rachael which is sensitive to your dishwasher ? This problem also shows up in the transformer which causes the powers tubes to draw more and less current when idle. Could be as you suspect, an earth going live somehow. It shouldn`t be as drastic as wrong wiring, more likely induced by screening or close proximity to a field, such as when you pass your hand over a suspect tube to hear a hum. If I still couldn`t find the prob after going through all the earthing, isolating and cable choices I guess I`d have the back off of both amps and compare wiring. Theres also  `tube jiggling` to make sure a dodgy connection isn`t doing it.

Thats probably my fix it solution for everything  :)
Good luck though...

ps the` floating earth` or is it `floating bridge` is how Steve makes the 2 amps stay in perfect sync without smearing. I don`t fully get it but it must be to do with balance and the chassis holding the earth onboard. If the outputs are earthed through the mains there must be a signal path in the outputs so.......

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/13 at 06:37:38

Thanks, I've been overloading myself with reading lately but not really learning a lot.

Between the dishwasher issue (only when it's on), bouncing meters, tranny seeming hotter than before, and a little more hum than before, I suspect the power scheme first.

I should try different rectifier and EL34 tubes. I swap input tubes often.

I have some hum on speakers but I can't hear it from listening position, but I think it could be quieter.

I'll do more testing tonight but thanks for your input.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/27/13 at 11:11:14

My system is one Rachel right now, not bridged, but I do have a subwoofer with plate amp connected to terminals as well. I should check it's phase switch too.

The DAC, sub, and amp are in plugged into a basic Furman power strip. I used to run amps through an Audience AR2P which had an Auricap inside. I wonder if it blocked DC?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/13 at 13:54:58

You could try washing your dishes by hand. . . .

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/27/13 at 13:58:47

LOL!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/27/13 at 17:45:25

I'm worried someone is going to get hurt or the amp will be damaged.

Today I put a cheater plug on the Rachel, hooked it up to an AC regenerator, and turned on the dishwasher.

A loud buzz comes out of the speakers when dishwasher is running.

I measured 20V AC across chassis of DAC to + Rachel binding post, 30V AC across AC Regenerator chassis to + Rachel binding post, and 3v from chassis of Rachel to + Rachel binding post. If I tried to measure DC it just kept climbing.

I wonder if neutral and ground are tied at dishwasher?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print