Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:05:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii III vs MK IV Listening Impressions (Read 7908 times)
DaveH
Verified Member

Torii III vs MK IV Listening Impressions
10/11/13 at 12:50:12

Hi All,
I hope I'm not creating repetitive forum but might we here from attendees the Decfest 2013 about their listening impressions of the Tori III vs the MK IV? Hope to make it there next year for my own session.  Regards,  DaveH

Mac mini, linear ps, Audirvana +, Oppo 83 Rick Shultz mod, Prism Orpheus Dac, Synergistic tesla, Torii III stepped, V-caps, Ref 3A GV's.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii III vs MK IV Listening Impressions
Reply #1 - 10/11/13 at 13:08:51

In general found the MK III with EL34's to be more lush, and with an emphasis on midrange. With the MK IV using KT66 tubes it was more balanced overall with very gentle gain characteristics. You could turn the amp all the way up without it clipping or going into distortion. Put EL34's in the MK IV and it did not sound nearly as good as with the KT66.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 10/11/13 at 13:15:35

I didn't get to hear the MKIII, but RR's description of the MK IV is spot on. I enjoyed being able to crank it up without stressing about distortion, and actually found myself backing it down as it was getting quite loud.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/11/13 at 13:33:48

Good. Makes me more confident in my decision to stick with the Mk IIIs.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/11/13 at 14:52:51

Quote:
Good. Makes me more confident in my decision to stick with the Mk IIIs.

<whisper>Mystery Amp....</whisper>   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/11/13 at 15:19:34

No thanks. I have zero interest in the Mystery Amp, or any of the amps with meters. Smiley I still see no need for meters on these amps. If I can do just fine without a Tach on my Fat Bob, I don't need meters on my amps.

I love my seasoned Torii Mk III so much that I haven't even yet moved my new Torii Mk III into the main system, though it has over 1500 hours on it now in the second system, and even though Steve tells me the new one should sound better and even though I've wanted to have bass controls for years. I just love the sound I now have, and I'm loyal to that sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 10/11/13 at 15:22:34

And that's really what matters.

I honestly didn't like fiddling with the bass on the MK IV - though Steve said it's really easy to dial it in...I found it much easier to like the Mystery amp.  ;D

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/11/13 at 15:30:48

In my previous room bass was my biggest problem. In my new room bass is not a problem, but I think the bass controls would be great to play with. I'm probably going to find out soon. My sister is coming up from Virginia next weekend which means I could have a few days at home and not just a few hours at home and the rest at my parents. Would be a good time to make the amp switch.

But if I find the sound of the new amp not yet "seasoned" enough (these amps really change for the better over time, significantly) the new one will go back in the second system.

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #8 - 10/11/13 at 19:37:55

i am enjoying my torii 3 with the err speakers.  clipping is not an issue as the volume is so low that there is no audible noise.  maybe the 66s would tighten things up if i thought they were in need of, but does not seem to be the case.  might just buy a cheap quad just for fun though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print