Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:26:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RCA 5U4G Beautiful Purple Flashes (Read 6288 times)
.:.impossible
Verified Member

RCA 5U4G Beautiful Purple Flashes
10/02/13 at 02:30:14

As I started my SE84C+ up tonight, I witnessed an amazingly beautiful purple and blue light fill the rectifier. I had never seen this happen before and worried that my tube was failing; however, my ears tell me differently. My ears are telling me something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I don't know if it is a fluke or what, but the music is absolutely enthralling tonight.

Just to be safe, I will be ordering a back-up RCA 5U4G as Joyce, Nana, e Mauricio wind Tudo Bonito.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: RCA 5U4G Beautiful Purple Flashes
Reply #1 - 10/02/13 at 10:38:55

Probably a good idea to order the backup tube. But glad you got an amazing evening of sound!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
.:.impossible
Verified Member

Re: RCA 5U4G Beautiful Purple Flashes
Reply #2 - 10/02/13 at 14:00:52

In the spirit of disseminating information, this from Steve's notes on the SE84C+:

Input tubes will usually last through 2 or 3 sets of output tubes, but again having spares on hand lets you find out any time you want what the status is. Rectifiers can last up to the life of the amplifier, however they are also the first in line to get hit by power surges during thunder storms, etc., so they can appear to fail for no reason from time to time. Always have a spare rectifier on hand. If a rectifier blows, the fuse will blow. Sometimes rectifiers will simply arc and then work fine. This is not uncommon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print