04/19/24 at 05:40:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving the ERR (Read 6784 times)
jayjay1
Verified Member

Driving the ERR
10/01/13 at 18:49:57

As of today I'm a new member of the Decware site, and, I am very much interested in the ERR speaker.  Future purchase is being considered...but...before I take the plunge, I need your input on which integrated amp to use.

By the way, it has been nearly 33 years since I left the music scene.    Gave my son my entire system (Marantz Rec/Amp, Pioneer (R/R) Garrard TT, Bose Speakers) to use in college.

Now that I am retired...aah yes...I want to dust off the almost 500 LPs I still have in storage.  The only part of a new setup I have in hand (soon) is a pristine Thorens TD-126, Mk III, turntable with less than 100 hours of play.  

I have read endless pages of information on various tubal setups, and am now standing on the fence between 2A3 and EL34 powered amps.  A few facts first...my listening area is 18'x13.5'x8': my choice of music is Jazz, Classical, R&B, Soul, and Easy Listening.  

Therefore, given the ERR's efficiency, my room size, and the fact that I don't listen at very high volume levels, which of the two (2A3 or EL34) is the go-to match-up with the ERR?

Or, is there a better match I have not considered?

Thanks much!!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Driving the ERR
Reply #1 - 10/01/13 at 21:02:36

WELCOME!

You know when I was first going to get into the best audio I could I was interested in 2A3 amps but never did get to audition one. Got to hear a Cary 300B integrated that was really awesome and then found out about Decware and took a leap on the 27th 2 watt amp that Steve built. Over time I fell in love with the Radial speaker line and needed more power and moved to Steve's EL34 amps, first monoblocks that Steve doesn't answer any longer, then the Integrated, then a Torii Mk II and then Torii Mk III.

I own both ERR speakers and HR-1 from Decware. I've never been happier than with these speakers and the Torii Mk III. They are made for each other. So I recommend EL34 and I recommend the Torii Mk IV (just released). Or a used Mk III, I'm sure there will be some.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jayjay1
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/01/13 at 21:44:20

Lon, thanks much for your input.  What you recommend is pretty much the direction I am considering. I think the EL34 provides a wee bit more headroom that would come in handy if I chose to move into a larger listening room.  

I have also read, several times, your comments re the ERR and associated gear.  Very helpful, and enlightening.  Keep it coming...noobees like me need all the help we can get.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/01/13 at 21:59:03

You're welcome. I hope you move forward with this plan. When you do you'll have lots of great listening ahead. . . and you're going to have to buy more lps!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/02/13 at 01:09:24

At least you don't need a license to drive the ERR's.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print