03/28/24 at 23:33:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo MK3 with DM945 (Read 16928 times)
mwindham08
Verified Member

Taboo MK3 with DM945
09/14/13 at 15:59:54

Anyone have any experience running the DM945's with the Taboo?
I'm curious if it will drive them sufficiently  now that is more of a headphone amp than a speaker amp.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Taboo MK3 with DM945
Reply #1 - 09/14/13 at 17:47:20

My experience was running the TABOO MK III with 4 ohm impedance speakers. The amp clearly needs higher impedance, higher efficiency speakers to shine.

The DM945's are rated at 4 ohms. Their sensitivity at 94db places them in the running for this amp. However, I thought you could order them with higher impedance. That being the case I think the amp could do well with the DM945.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/13 at 18:44:48

I agree. I found the Taboo MkIII notably too quite with my 94dB, 4ohm MG944s. As RR implies, higher ohms might be sort of big for this amp with speakers on the lower end (94dB) of "efficient" ...unless maybe near field in a small room. If I were to really try to bring out how good the Taboo MKIII is, I would look for very efficient speakers.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mwindham08
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/14/13 at 18:48:32

Any chance adding a CSP3 will help with loudness?

I have some monoblocks that will run them I was just hoping to use the Taboo as I like its sound signature compared to the mono's.

It will be in a small room, around 14x12 foot, and that is a generous estimate (its probably less).

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/14/13 at 20:24:12

A CSP will help, for I tried it myself, but eventually trying to reach for extra headroom will take the amp into distortion.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/14/13 at 20:46:11

I agree with RR.

And finally, this is all so personal and system based it is hard to sort out. Where you start is a really good basis. Are those Decware Monos? If I recall correctly, don't two 2 watt Decware amps bridged add up to about 8 watts...Compared to the Taboo MkIII, with 4ohm speakers, I doubt you would get more than 3 watts from the new Taboo, but you would have to check with someone more knowledgable about resistance than me. If no one chimes in here, maybe call Steve.

But the thing is this. If you are reducing your power by half or more, this could be pretty serious depending on how much you need to push your current setup.

I think you can get a little more volume using a gain stage by compressing the signals from your source before they get to the amp...in the case of the CSP3, turn it way up, and it will compress the sound while also doing all the other stuff it does at higher gain....more body and weight while amazingly, keeping great openness, definition and resolution.

But you can still only push the amp so far before distortion, so I am guessing that the volume you can add with the pre is not a huge amount with the TabooMkIII.

The other consideration with a gain stage is that a big part of what makes them so cool is you can ride the gain with your amp gain, adjusting the weight, body, and tonal characteristics...with the amp higher, more amp sound, with the pre higher, more compression and more pre sound signature.

I have tried lower power amps, and after the headroom of the Torii, I guess I found myself wanting to drive the SET amps to distortion too much of the time. But some of my music is demanding, I have a sort of bigger room, and I like my speakers sound with a bit of power to push the drivers.

With very efficient speakers, I bet I would LOVE the Taboo MkIII, or the Rachel, especially with the brilliant body and resolution the CSP3 brings. And maybe the monos at 8 watts would be just enough for me here (with these speakers), but the Torii MkIV, though more money for sure, with its taste of Taboo feedback, and with the two power tube choices making for basically two amps...I just decided I must be a power head.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mwindham08
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/13 at 20:58:43

Well this is a bummer, I was hoping I would hear more positive findings. It's not a complete loss I suppose. If the DM945's sound better than the base model LSA-1's I have currently it will still be worth it.

The monos are Tube Audio Design 125 watt amplifiers. I don't think they are in production anymore. They were mainly a cheap way for me to get started in speakers. I wish they were decware monos.....

IP Logged
mwindham08
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/16/13 at 12:24:39

I messaged the seller I purchased these from and they are the 8ohm version, so that should help the Taboo a little bit.
I've asked around and the new Taboo ouputs 4.7 watts into 8 ohms.

Hopefully that will be enough juice to run the 945's.
I'll try to give my impressions when I receive them and have time for everything to settle in.

Thanks for all the help guys!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/16/13 at 18:28:40

Hey, that is great news! Let us know. I bet they will sound great together, and hopefully plenty loud for your space and tastes!

IP Logged
mwindham08
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/20/13 at 22:46:16

Got to hook up the DM945's to the Taboo today!

Plenty loud and alot more detail, instrument seperation, and overall clarity compared to the LSA1's.

Definitely need to add a sub later on down the road but overall I am very pleased.

Decware strikes again with massive performance and great value!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/21/13 at 03:37:30

Your situation with the Taboo and the 8 ohm, high efficiency speakers is  more or less ideal. In this situation a CSP3 might help out some more.

55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/21/13 at 06:19:30

Awesome they work well together and loud enough! To fill things out, rather than a sub, have you checked out the HSU MBM (mid-bass module)? I don't need more bass in my system so I have not heard it, but was impressed by the theory and discussion about it in several places on this forum. Here is one of them.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1360355711/0

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/21/13 at 13:35:58

I would wait for that bass trap that Steve and them designed for the DM945.

55   IP Logged
mwindham08
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/27/13 at 12:24:23

I'm sure I will be adding something to the setup sometime down the road. The mid bass module sounds pretty interesting, I read through about half the thread so far and it makes sense.

Hopefully by the time it comes to add something Decware's bass trap will be out so I can compare the two. Between a new torii, csp, and taboo Steve sure has been busy!

I'm on the first page now so I should be getting my CSP3 relatively soon. Overall I'm really happy so far. My wife even noticed a big difference with the new speakers which is surprising since I wonder if she is tone deaf sometimes  ;).

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/27/13 at 14:15:12

mwindham08,

I'm the guy with the Oppo disk player, Super Zen, Klipsch RF7's and Mid Bass Modules. In my case I added a Decware Preamp before the Mid Bass Modules. Did get some more weight and volume but was still left wanting. The Pre did some good things but there was a slight loss in clarity which I never liked.

Went to the Mid Bass module 3 years ago and this is a big difference when using a low power amp. Have not used the Preamp since (no need).  The Mid Bass Module when set up properly makes the system sound fuller and louder at lower volume settings.

Before the Mid Base Module I used to replace output tubes about every 6 months because I was always cranking the volume. My current set of output tubes are going on 18 months now. I just don't have to max out the volume with the Mid Bass Module to get full satisfying music output.

Assuming your source and amp are capable of good low frequency resolution, my experience is that adding a Mid Bass Module is a much bigger improvement with no down side compared to just adding a preamp.

I can tell you when I upgraded from the Zen Select to the Super Zen the quality of the Bass coming from the Mid Bass Module improved. Super Zen just seems to have better low frequency resolution. I can also say the quality of the Mid Bass Module output is diminished when I place my Decware preamp in front of the Super Zen.

Big thing with the Mid Bass Module is you have to be sure there is no ground loop or 60hz AC hum or the MBM will amplify that and you will not achieve the desired results. I describe how to check for ground loops in the thread referenced above.

Good Luck

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
mwindham08
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 09/27/13 at 14:26:59

I'm mainly adding the preamp due to many positive impressions on head fi concerning the taboo/csp3  and headphone listening. I split my time between headphone and speaker use. That and the csp3 will allow me to switch between 2 outputs which will save me a lot of hassle.

I am very interested in the mbm though. Maybe I can swing that as my Christmas present, to me!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print