Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:52:13 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
CSP3 #001 - First photos (Read 11327 times)
funch
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP3 #001 - First photos
Reply #100 - 11/18/13 at 03:17:33

Digger,

I use the ML's on my 2+; 1" for volume, and four half-inchers
for input/output trim. If I had it to do over, I would probably pick
knobs with lines on top instead of dots. FWIW

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 11/18/13 at 13:26:24

Hi Digger,

Quote:
I hope your wrong about the 1/2" diameter on the input knobs. I just received some knobs from parts express that are 3/4" in in diameter I figured I'd be able to get by with 3/8" from center of input shaft. Maybe I figured wrong.

My ruler measures just 1/4" space between two of three 1/2" diameter knobs I have in front of the CSP3 input tube. This is just enough space to get my fingers on the top of the knob to turn it without touching the tube or the other knobs. If you have bigger fingers, like Lord Soth mentioned, you might be hitting and jiggling the hot tube from time to time. I think the 3/4" diameter knobs would come extremely close to the tube making it that much more difficult to turn. They might even touch the tube.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 11/23/13 at 17:23:36

Rizlaw,
Here is what I found with the knobs that I purchased from Parts Express. Not to bad of a fit. Now saying that I don't have large chubby fingers so it may make a difference. The cost was a buck a piece for the input and output knobs the cost is 4 bucks for the brass gloss black knob on the volume control knob plus shipping. I wasn't sure if they would work after your post but these don't look to bad. My file sizes are to big to attach pics I guess and I'm not computer savy enough to reduce them. Anyway if you would like to see the pics just drop me an PM and I'll send them direct.

http://www.parts-express.com/penn-elcom-z408601-basic-amplifier-knob-black--240-...

http://www.parts-express.com/penn-elcom-m1320k-brass-amplifier-knob-black--240-2...

They actually do look pretty good on the CSP3.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #103 - 11/23/13 at 18:26:29

I picked up two wood lathes this summer, one vintage one I'm restoring, and one modern one. Once I get them figured out, I might try my hand at making some knobs for our amps if anyone is interested.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 11/24/13 at 14:23:04

Lonely Raven,
If you get around to making some for yourself post pics of them. I may have an interest in one for the volume position. The basic black knobs I have on my input and output look pretty good and also have a fairly low profile that doesn't distract from the overall appearance of the CSP3.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #105 - 11/24/13 at 17:22:33

My speakers are cherry, and I'm probably making myself a cherry base for the Mystery Amp when it shows up, and my first knobs will probably be cherry.

I've never used a wood lathe before, and my shop is torn up for some renovation/rearranging so I can't give a timeframe. When I get these knobs done, I'll have them posted in the Classifieds.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 01/18/14 at 18:51:57

Hopefully this photo will post!  I was inspired by Rizlaw to put knobs on all of the pots on my CSP3.  I found some 1/2 inch diameter knobs that fit on the 1/4 inch shafts.  They give me easy adjustment of the pots with good visual reference to the settings.  I mess around with the knobs a lot and for me, the usability has increased tremendously.  I found that the walnut knob on the volume control was too big in diameter once I put the other knobs on.  I think functionality is more important than looks in this case.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #107 - 03/25/14 at 18:04:40

Great thread guys. I am learning what to expect with my CSP3/thanks. The wait as usual, will be worth it.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #108 - 04/09/14 at 21:39:00

Wow! I have had my CSP3 on for all of an hour and Steve, wow...the DEFINITION I am getting pushing through the ZMA is blowing my mind! Top to bottom an especially the bass definition too.

All this, when obviously those wonderful transparent caps, the rest of your voicing & the tubes need some seasoning...it will only get better an maintain.   Thank You!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 04/10/14 at 02:29:34

Stone,

These were pretty much exactly the first impressions I had! Seems the CSP3 is a hidden treasure.

From your post I am guessing you got the Jupiter cap upgrade? I sent mine back for them quite a while ago, and once returned, I put it in my workshop system to break in. About the same time, the MKIV had finished breaking in and was moved to the main system, so the time I had to listen, I did without the pre in order to learn and to optimize the MKIV. Then I got pulled away from home for the last 7 weeks stopping it all in its tracks. Now back, the last few days I am really loving reacquainting myself with the MKIV. It is good to come in fresh from no serious listening and see how things sound.

Long story short, I still have not listened to the jupitered CSP3 with the MKIV! I have really enjoyed getting to know the MKIV though, and it sounds amazing without the pre, so I am having fun. And I finally feel like I do have half a handle on the MKIV, so soon the CSP again! Your excitement has probably pushed that forward for me!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #110 - 04/11/14 at 15:26:10

Cool Will!  Put it in now........ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 05/02/14 at 01:41:41

Stone,
       Very glad to hear you like your CSP3. I was confident that you would. It is the core of my system I don't think I could enjoy my music without it since having. It seems to add so much clarity and flavor to every thing that I put through it almost unbelievable. It has been the best investment in stereo gear I have made. May have to add the Jupiter caps down the road after hearing you all talk about them. Just don't know if I could part with it long enough to get it done !!!!!!

Glad to hear your digging it!

Cool

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 05/02/14 at 06:12:32

Hey Digger,

I understand your feeling about not wanting to let your CSP go for a time! The Jupiter caps are really good, but as your love of the CSP indicates, those stock caps have a magic to them that is really special. My memory is that they have more of a "sound" to them...becoming a really nice part of the signature... a good part. I am glad to have the more transparent, revealing and "organic" Jupiters, but I miss that original sound too!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 05/30/14 at 22:52:13

Having found a brilliant sound with my Torii MKIV, while intentionally not using the CSP3 in order to eek all I could from the MKIV first, I could not make the CSP make the MKIV better even with weeks of exploring!

The Jupitered CSP3 did those great CSP things, and sounded really good, but it was masking subtle information the MKIV was pulling beautifully from my Tranquility DAC.

I finally got sorted out after a lot of exploration, some of which only time (burnin) would solve. And this is subtle stuff. Without Decware I may not have even found it. The amazing MKIV nuance retrieval, especially with its reconstructive feedback circuit, is a big player here. It set up a interesting quest.

If you are interested the saga it is posted here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1400268857/0

Reply #4

IP Logged
stoutblock
Verified Member

Re: CSP3 as a Pre-amp
Reply #114 - 11/13/14 at 04:01:19

Just got my CSP3 today and I spent the evening listening to it and reading this thread.  I have owned a CSP2 for several years now.  Mostly used it to drive some Beyerdynamic DT880/600 phones.  After many hundred of hours and rolling many, many tubes I found out, like many of you have, that the output spots are tough to get right.  I ended up with a pair of Mullard CV2493 tubes.  These are exceptionally strong and fine sounding tubes.  Hard to find and far from cheap but I highly recommend them.  I discovered these originally when I owned a First Sound line stage a few years ago.  It was also demanding of tubes and these were one of the few that worked for me.  I own 12 of these that I picked up in Europe but am still on the first pair.  They still measure the same as when I got them and I must have a couple thousand hours on them by now.  Interesting that all 12 of these tubes all match within 2-3% of each other!  The CV2492 and CV2493 tubes are probably the highest grade tube in this family.  The CV2493 is basically a select CV2492.

For the input tube the CV2493 also sound fine but I favor the Amperex Orange globe or BB in this spot.  I have also tried a bunch of different rectifiers.   The Mullard GZ34 is a solid performer but I prefer the Phillips 5R4GYS overall.

Now I am trying to figure out the best effect for the output and input adjustment...

IP Logged
stoutblock
Verified Member

Re: CSP3 as a Pre-amp
Reply #115 - 11/13/14 at 04:17:30

With the upgraded tubes from the CSP2, so far the CSP3 is sounding certainly as good but probably better than the CSP2.  This CSP3 is used so it is mostly broke in.  It has the Jupiter caps and stepped attenuator which my CSP2 did not.  A little more detailed, a little more space between instruments and possibly some delicate softness to the detail in the higher frequencies. I bought this because I recently rotated my CSP2 into my main system as a preamp and I really, really liked the effect but I also missed it as a headphone amp in my office system.  I like it so much in my main system that I now have a ZP3 on order to place alongside it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print