Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 02:14:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
upgrading crossover capacitors (Read 1801 times)
vmax
Verified Member

upgrading crossover capacitors
08/04/13 at 05:05:00

Hello, I noticed My inexpensive speakers polk speakers the Torrii MKIII is driving is lacking in detail. I finally figured out how to open the speaker enclosures and ordered up some Obbligato supreme Gold capacitors for the tweeter section of the crossovers, does anyone here have these or similar capacitors in their system, they scored a 10 on humble homemade hifi out of a possible 10.

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Re: upgrading crossover capacitors
Reply #1 - 08/16/13 at 23:26:19

I mentioned 10, seems the scale goes to 14 so a 10 out of 14,  I received the caps and installed them, they still have to burn in though, so far they sound a lot better than the electrolytic caps these replaced in the speaker crossover, these are in a set of polk audio speakers.....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 08/21/13 at 20:30:00

I like Polks, but I would have started looking for a better set of speakers, unless the caps were cheap. Focus your funds on serious improvements. Save the incremental (baby step) improvements for when you have nothing else to upgrade...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/13 at 06:07:13

the polks were veiled, the "cheap" electrolytic caps were losing a lot of sound, no fault of the tweeters, with the obliggato caps, all the info is there now silky smooth.....

these speakers are just causing a problem, so new speakers are being looked into.

just seeing how far I can push these polk speakers, I have the plans for the ZOB speaker just holding off for awhile .....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 08/27/13 at 17:41:26

I've been down that path, and wish I had upgraded sooner.

I had the Polk LS70 - which I really liked in general.

The mods I did before I gave up on them:

Ran wire from the amp, directly to the drivers, completely bypassing the jack on the back.

Tall spikes added.

Added 1" Plywood panels to the sides to deaden resonations (ugly, but amazing improvement - oddly enough, looks like a crude version of the Decware MG944 slab sides).

Added "fun tack" to the metal frame of the drivers to deaden ringing in the drivers.

Messed with crossover, but ultimately I just ran the woofers full range, and the tweeters with a single capacitor and nothing else - I had to play with the phase to get it to work, but it was great in the end - though probably not flat frequency response by any stretch - the detail was amazing compared to my memory of stock.

I may have also messed with adding a "stick" wedged between the magnet of the woofers and the back of the cabinet  to stiffen their mount to the cabinet. This would have happened after adding the plywood to the sides of the speakers.

I may have also messed with various amounts of polyfill to micro-adjust the tuning. It doesn't have a huge effect, it was more for fun.

Lastly, I recall at one time I think I may have put something inside the cabinet (besides polyfill) to help absorb reflections inside the box. I don't think this did much as I had so much polyfill in the cabinet that it was starting to come out the port!

That was all 10+ years ago, and I since sold the speakers to a friend who plays the snot out of them to this day. Ultimately, what I made was a half-assed cobbled together version of Steve and Bob's MG944 - the same speaker I just bought off Steve recently and I'm much happer with. So if you can swing it, look at better speakers. The Polks are a fun education, but you can do better.

vmax
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/27/13 at 23:18:55

In a few months I should be making a purchase of new speakers.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 08/28/13 at 15:58:23

Awesome!

If you like the Polks, I think the Decware MG944 are amazing.

vmax
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/28/13 at 21:45:34

The MG 944's will probably be what I get, I was planning on waiting to build My own cabinets but I don't have the space for a table saw.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/17/13 at 13:46:55

I'm new here at the Decware site and am glad to have found it. Proud new owner of a CSP3+ first Decware purchase. Just wanted to add something to the topic about Polk LS 70 speakers. I have a pair that rivals most high end speakers but I had to do extensive mods to them. What made me do it was the size and overall appearance and they fit nicely into my room. Would like to do what lonely raven did to the outsides of them with furniture quality wood and maybe granite tops on them they are a solidly build speaker to start with. To start with I picked them up for cheap in very good condition with the exception of one of the woofers. I ended up putting Morel Cat 378 soft dome horn tweeters in them pulled the two mid-ranges and re installed aurum cantes mid-ranges in them. The crossovers installed mill same spec resisters and replaced the cheap capacitors with Dayton +/- 1% tolerance capacitors. Now they sing but do have about a total of $500 in them now. Now I'm a bit afraid to cast them a side for another set of speakers unless I was able to definately hear them. I am new to tubes so the whole experience with the sound change from SS to tubes has been an eye opening experience with this Decware equipment. I hope to move up the Decware food chain eventually.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/17/13 at 14:01:59

Welcome Digger!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/17/13 at 16:30:20

Lon,
Thanks for welcoming me to the forums! Steve sure does make great stuff really glad I stumbled onto it.

Dion

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/23/13 at 08:16:15

how are things going  Digger. just to add on, I finally have figured what's been ailing My system for quite some time, everything is running the way it should now.  I have been using My old cd changerto listen to music, it turns out that it, being 15 + years old the cd  stabilizer disc was not properly adjusted allowing the disc to shake as it was playing adding strange distortion and drop outs in the signal.  I have fixed the problem as well as replaced all the old electrolytic capacitors in the system... it's a sony es model, I have a hard time letting go of these things..

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/27/13 at 22:22:47

VMax
Don't give up on the Polk speakers they can be very good when you get them right. I know when I completed the mods on mine it was like taking a blanket off of them. They seem to blend well with the CSP3+ and Jolida 502P power amp. The CSP3 makes the sound what it is though and it is nice. Someday would like to get a Decware amp to go with the CSP3. The mods that I made to the Polks and the best way to explain the sound before doing them was very dark with no brightness to them. The Morel cat 378 tweeters really made a big difference in the highs and the Aurum Cantes midranges shoved the mids out a bit more. I always had SS equipment and all with some form of eq but now with the tubes no eq I've been rolling tubes to cut or boost frequencies so far so good found some nice tubes. Steves choices for the stock tubes in the CSP3 are the best for my ears. I ended up running a Cryo 6n1p in the input and 2 Phillips cryo 6922 in the output. The 6n1p provides the tubey saturation that I love and the 6922 crisp it up a bit and tighten up the bottom end excellent to my ears. Found a pair of RT 12at7 1963 tubes to put in the output of the Jolida replaced the stock EH tubes. They have a bit more mellow sound to them not edgy and as bright. now it is as close to being eq'd as it will be for a while.
      What model Polks do you have?

Cool

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 12/03/13 at 23:17:43

I have polk owm 3's I have extremely limited space so floor standing speakers were out of the question, for such a small speaker I am using a subwoofer to reinforce the bottom end, the polks do have a lot of base just not in the lower ranges... I am using sunfire true sub 15 +years old which I have replaced all the electrolytics capacitors, around 55 of them it sounds great better than new. besides replacing the capacitors on the polk speakers there isn't much else to mod on them.. the original sound of the owm 3's was slightly boomy so I move up in mF of the capacitors from 4.2 mF the original capacitors to a higher 4.7 mF capacitor which has trimmed down the bass to the proper area.....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 12/04/13 at 06:02:34

55 electrolytic capacitors! Cripes!

vmax
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 12/18/13 at 10:31:14

just did another project over 180 electrolytic capacitors 20 years old, a surround processor one of the first dolby pro logic processors that came out, a dpl 33.  I'd hate to lose that system, entertaining and interactive sound.....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 12/18/13 at 17:10:34

Please tell me you have some photos? I'd love to see some of this old gear!

It's hard to believe some of this stuff can be considered "vintage". Hell, I used to install Dolby Pro Logic gear and projection TV back in the day!

vmax
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 12/18/13 at 22:09:30

I have some pics of the dpl 33 after the re-cap project, how do I get them posted here?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 12/18/13 at 23:31:10

It helps if you have them hosted online somewhere. Then you get the link, and when you're composing a message, you click the "Insert Image" icon (3rd from left) - which will add the IMG tags to your post. Just paste that link in between the brackets on the IMG] [/IMG tags and you're all set.

vmax
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 12/18/13 at 23:59:08

ahha, finally I can post some pics now.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print