04/23/24 at 20:12:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HR-1 Long Hiatus (Read 8039 times)
Chris K
Seasoned Member

HR-1 Long Hiatus
07/16/13 at 02:14:24

After a long time without a pair of HR-1s here at home I have my second pair back from a friends home after 6 months. I'm pretty sure my memory was fairly well cleansed like with wine biscuits and a bit of water a fresh palate. I sold my other pair of HR-1s first week in  April and so the time totally without has been since then. My listening since December has been rather sketchy and things have been shuttled back and forth all over the house.
So my reaction today after some steady listening?
In a word, AMAZING!
Just the most capable speakers to put a smile on my face with every aspect of their presentation. They just sound like MUSIC.  ;D
The dimensional aspects of the sound alone are enough to astonish. But the micro-fine detail along with thunderous but tight and controlled dynamic bass is just so very good. Tonally "see through" transparency. Only a great electrostatic can maybe do better but you would not know it by listening just to the HR1. Sounds like instruments and voices and other sounds in the recordings suspended in space. So kind to the ears too but not rolled off in any way. They seem to "breath out" the music.
WOW. Blown away by them again.

Someone else report back who has these or when you get them please?

Just thought of another thing. There can be some material that is just screaming hot in the midrange at loud levels and there is not a trace of  strain or stress at all. Total composure and smooth as silk if the recording is.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: HR-1 Long Hiatus
Reply #1 - 07/16/13 at 03:37:27

Chris, I know what you mean and I love mine, more and more as time passes by.

I do love my ERRs as well. In fact, I really wish the HR-1s were just a little bet less conventional than they are and had just a bit more ERR DNA in them. That's my only complaint. I wish the ERR were a bit more like the HR-1 and vice versa, but in the right room I think either would be the cat's meow.

I don't have the right room, my new place has some really good points, but some downsides as well. But it's not permanent, I don't own it.

Since I sold my house and invested a lot of the money and left some to play around with. . . I ordered another pair from Bob. Talking with Bob my early pair is pretty close to the latest, the biggest sonic difference being because of the capacitor. I just wanted to both support Bob and Steve and have teh production model. Can't hurt to have two systems with HR-1s and a pair of ERRs to hold in reserve or part with, or one system with an ERR pair and HR-1s in reserve.

These are AMAZING speakers. All frequencies, all audio factors. I'll never need better.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/17/13 at 17:35:00

I fell in love with the speakers when I heard them at the fest. My word for them is HOLOGRAPHIC. The micro detail out of them is amazing. They just do everything right. Plus they are a work of art to look at.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/18/13 at 02:34:26

The HR1's are nothing short of magical.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/18/13 at 21:12:02

You need to change that equipment signature Riv. Grin

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/19/13 at 11:47:28

Done! Also to reflect the new TABOO MK III that is on the BENCH right now!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/21/13 at 20:12:16

Probably ought to update that profile again Jim. Wink

Just got notice that after six months my order for my second pair of HR-1s is now in the "cutting" stage. Awesome. I'm most excited in that i can then bring the ERRs to my parents' place. That great sounding room should really be great for these speakers, IF the modded C amp there has enough juice to fill the room.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 11/22/13 at 12:02:29

About time!

I'm sure these new ones will pleas you, Lon!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/22/13 at 12:18:22

I'm sure they will too, after a few thousand hours of breakin. Or more. Smiley

They'll be in my second system a long time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print