Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:09:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hum with CSP (Read 6094 times)
KobeeDog

Hum with CSP
07/13/13 at 15:25:39

I have the original version of the CSP. When I run it through my Audiolab 8200P power amp, I am getting very noticeable, very loud hum. I have tried with a different solid state pre-amp in the same configuration, so I know it's not a ground loop. I have tried all the usual trouble shooting procedures, and even turned the gain pots inside the pre-amp all the way down. The hum always stays the same.

Anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Hum with CSP
Reply #1 - 07/14/13 at 15:44:35

How long have you had the unit?

When did the hum begin?

Have you checked all the tubes, sockets and audio connections?

Is there anything new drawing current in the house?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #2 - 07/14/13 at 16:18:08

I've had it for a few weeks. It hummed right from the first time I powered it up.

The volume of the hum is always constant, regardless of the gain settings or the volume pot position.

It only hums when hooked up to solid state amps. I tried 2, and it hummed the same with both of them. When I hook it up to my Decware Zen, no hum. Dead silent.

Maybe it just hates solid state?

I haven't tried swapping the tubes, since I don't believe it's a tube issue, otherwise it would hum with all amps.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/14/13 at 19:26:05

I guess it must be something involving the input impedance of the solid states that you are connecting it to. Best to restrict its use to the ZEN.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #4 - 07/14/13 at 20:08:17

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense.

Kinda disappointing, though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print