Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:40:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Testing those 26 watts (Read 8677 times)
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Testing those 26 watts
06/16/13 at 17:11:17

I first heard the Zen Torii III, courtesy of a friend who brought his amp over, with my JansZen zA2.1s in my small listening room and that test really got me excited.  Last night I took those speakers over to my friends house to try again in a much larger room.  The JanZens are hybrid ESLs that are easier to drive than most of its kind but still in the high 80s in efficiency.  

We discovered that we could get listening levels higher than I care to listen at, but going into ear-damaging rock and roll territory was not an option.  OK, I am trying to preserve my hearing anyway.  The sound of this amp made my speakers sound better than I have heard to date with very solid bass and super everything else.

I put my order in this morning for the amp.  I have now joined the others who are "waiting as fast as they can".   Smiley

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Testing those 26 watts
Reply #1 - 06/16/13 at 18:14:22

Welcome to the Torii clan. What an amp! Not only does it sound amazing out of the box, but it is so easy to tune with 5 tube types, the bias and impedance switches, and treble and bass adjustments. As I look at an SE34 (Rachel) without adjustments other than tubes and bias, I get a little squirrelly having grown so accustomed especially to the treble and bass controls on the Torii. I change tubes a lot, so I use them a lot! The more I think about it, the more I appreciate the extensive and fine adjustably of this amp!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/16/13 at 18:35:30

jam71, congrats on the order! I'm on the waiting list too!

will, remember: the treble reduction controls can be added to any amp according to Steve. I had them on my Integrated and they were a great thing to have, I could dial in great sound and I'd still be listening to that amp if I hadn't needed more power for my listening room in Austin.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/16/13 at 19:18:33

Well done jam71!
A few listens to the Decware ZP3 and I was on the list for power amplification. I think you`ll agree there`s a knowledge that the
amps will let you partner them with top class source and speakers without fear of them being sonically compromised.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/13 at 19:55:40

Lon,

Thanks for the tip. I did not know that, or didn't remember anyway!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/16/13 at 20:04:35

It really works on the Integrated. I don't know about the bass controls, I'm sure they're awesome. I've coveted them but it got really expensive to get them: Steve couldn't add them to my Mk III (one of the first ever made) and so . . . I ordered a new Mk III. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/16/13 at 20:57:07

Thanks, I will check the options on the Integrated.

I really use the MkIII bass knobs, but can't remember what it was like without, so can't quite imagine how they will effect you.

But I bet you will find them a useful tuning device. They do more than just adjust bass quality since they alter the amp interaction with the drivers. Took me a while to get what the sound differences were, but adjusting for the right "feel" with a given tube set and speakers is easy and a great tool.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/16/13 at 21:30:19

I'm sure they are a great tool, I've been envious ever since they were announced shortly after I got my Torii.

Though I'm less and less inclined and/or have the time to futz with the sound, and don't see that changing in the near future. Still Steve heard my Torii when I returned it lately and he installed the Jupiter caps, and he says that the current production models sounds a little bit better than mine, so I'm looking forward to a new broken in Mk III to listen to, to set and forget.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print