Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 22:59:54 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement (Read 90417 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Non-audiophiles notice power treatment improvement
Reply #100 - 09/23/14 at 13:04:13

What works best in MY system is HIGH ohms resistors. I went with 56 ohm. Smiley

Very sweet and mellodious sound, I used the same resistors in all three of my speakers (my two pair of HR-1s and my ERRs). I've ordered a set of the M-Resistor Supremes, 33 ohm, for my main system HR-1s just to see what they would do.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 09/23/14 at 16:24:18

JD,

I have written a lot on this elsewhere...maybe the ERR or HR-1 threads on caps or both.

But here is what I found out from experimenting.

We know that raising the resistor value gives more resistance, lowering the tweeter volume, or lowering the resistor value makes the tweeter louder. If I like the general level of what I have, equal to equal value would seem the thing to do. But like cables, different wire and construction changes the sound, and this is a factor with the Mundorf M-Resist resistors in my experience.

The Mundorf M-Supreme 20 watt resistors are more solid and smooth sounding, not reducing detail, but feeling less bright than same value Wirewounds (likely the stock resistor).

In my HR-1s, I started with 3 ohm wirewounds, and ended up with 2R7 (2.7) Mundorfs to compensate for the Mundorf sound change. It theoretically lets through more volume, but it just sounds really good, balanced and if anything, less bright feeling.

So if you like the balance with a 3.9, and think you might want a similar sense of treble (or perhaps a touch more) but smoother and more musical, for a Mundorf M-Resist, a 3R3 might be a good choice.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 09/24/14 at 00:23:11

very cool thanks for the advice

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #103 - 10/13/14 at 15:48:29

Well, this system at my parents' is sounding really good.

The Mundorf Supreme capacitors are probably fully broken in and the tonal and timbral details are improved, very nice indeed. I also believe the Mundorf resistors have made a significant change.

I've also played power tube musical chairs. I put a new quad of cryo'd TAD KT66 into my main system, and took the Gold Lion Genelax KT66 that were there into this system at my parents', moving the Tung-Sol KT66 there to my second system at home (bedroom system).

The TAD seem to be doing really well in the main system and the Gold Lions are a much better fit for the Torii Mk II here at my parents' than the Tung-Sols. Just a bit richer and easier treble, which helps with all the classical music spinnning here. I also put 7308s in the Torii Mk II and in all positions on the CSP2+ and those have burned in nicely giving a great platform for the other tubes in the Torii Mk II. My next step sometime this week is to bring over better power cords from my second system at home and incorporate them here, which should yield a further improvement. Then I'll be done until . . . well I'm thinking of thinning out my audio herd, selling my PWD Mk II and PWT and my Arcam SACD player, and perhaps my C Zen amp modified by Eddie Vaughn and my CSP2 and ZStage. If I do and net enough coin I may buy a P5 or P10 and then can move my PPP to my second system and the PS Audio Dectet over here to my parents, or vice versa. That should make a further improvement.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #104 - 10/19/14 at 22:18:52

Wow. What a couple of power cords can do.

I removed a few components from my second system (probably will sell them) and that freed up some power cords, and I did some shuffling around and moved two PS Audio xStream Premier SC power cords to the system at my parents' place.

I replaced the My Audio Cables Hefty power cord that ran from the outlet to the PS Audio Dectet with one of the Premier SCs, and the My Audio Cables Hefty power cord running from the Dectet to the Torii Mk II with the other Premier SC.  I put the two Heftys in place of the Decware Silver References that I had running from Dectet to the CSP2+ and the California Audio Labs CL-10.

The tonal balance is a bit warmer and the music is a bit less forward. Both of which are improvements for this system. I'm happy! I'm done for a while, going to just sit back and listen. (Promise!)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #105 - 11/02/14 at 23:09:29

One last development. I got to thinking about why I still felt that this system at my parents' is lacking a certain richness that I like and has a certain thinness to it that works well with some material but not others.

Then I thought about the gemstones in the Iso-Cups in use in the system: Picasso Jasper and Picture Jasper. I ended up using all Deep Moss Quartz in my main system at home and that was what worked best. So I ordered Deep Moss Quartz gemstones to replace the Jasper in the system at my parents'. . . .

Again this stuff fascinates me. The bottom end bloomed just a bit, the top end sizzled just a title less. Just what I needed. Been listening for hours and each presentation is improved the way that I would want it to. How does such a little thing like a different gemstone ball make such a difference? I'm not sure I'd understand the real reasons and probably could hear a lot of BS ones but the truth is that Iso-Cups are the best way that I've found to isolate my system, and the different balls offer a very interesting way to experiment with tonal tuning. Like tube-rolling in so many ways.

Long live Steve Herbelin. Smiley  When I have a bunch of audio dollars again I'm going to order Iso-Cups and balls for my bedroom system. I have all Tenderfeet in use there. They are better than the stock feet of components, and can be tuned around, but Iso-Cups are better, that's been clear to my ears for a while.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 11/03/14 at 01:00:04

Hey Lon. I keep trying to like tenderfeet under the CSP3 and my Tranquility, but I can't do it...too veiled. Isocups bring both right out.

Thanks for the reminder about the Deep Moss Quartz. I have been meaning to order some to try. Right now, under the MKIV, I am using two old style isocups with the Highend bases and stock lampblack balls, and in the back, the new black cups and stock supersonic hard balls. It is really great sounding, better than with either Jasper, but your description is compelling. Even two of the Deep Moss balls it could be a nice touch. I am going to order some right now!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 11/03/14 at 13:54:46

Yes, Will, I think they're at least worth experimenting with, they do eliminate that last bit of what I think of as "Decware brightness" and are perfect all over for my tastes, a little dab might well be a good fit with the Mk IV.

I haven't tried the Superhard balls, but at the cheaper cost I'll stick with the Deep Moss Quartz.

I agree about the Tenderfeet veil. In my second system which gets so little use now that's okay. . . but in the future I hope to use it more (hope in time to have more time off from my caregiving duties to spend with my girlfriend, who likes to spend time in the bedroom with that system). So I may get Iso-Cups in that system soon.*

A day later in this system at my parents', all the moves I made with isolation have settled in overnight and. . . man I'm happy with the sound!

* Edit to add: I bit the bullet and ordered Iso-Cups and Deep Moss Quartz balls for the second system. They should work great there. The two 100th Anniversary Denon components I have in there sound so good right now!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 11/03/14 at 17:30:19

So I ordered some moss balls and thin/small fat dots to use under weight on my DACs. Coming in a day or two. Steve is great!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 11/03/14 at 18:01:19

Cool. I've got two Sonic Stabilizers from Herbie (not stacked) on my DirectStream, makes a difference with the Iso-Cups underneath.

I think you have some fun ahead. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #110 - 11/04/14 at 01:48:16

I've got a couple of the Supersonic Stablizers - I really couldn't find any place I felt they made any difference. Though they look nice on the top of the big caps on the ZMA.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #111 - 11/04/14 at 02:23:33

Yes, I haven't found them to have any real affect on the Torii amps so don't use them there. But they sound great on my digital source components, one or two. Even those with really heavy steel or wood tops.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #112 - 11/04/14 at 05:37:46

I'll try again on my DAC, and/or my Media-PC then and see what happens!

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 11/06/14 at 12:32:50

I am currently using tenderfeet with all of my components except the PP5, where I use Gingko Mini Cloud balls.  I think it's time to give the IsoCups a try.  I will start with 3 under my amp and go from there.  Maybe I'll just order 6, so I have a few to play with.  

I finally found the Deep Moss Quartz balls you are referring to, but I think I will start with the standard Supersonic hardballs.

Will/Lon, did I read in a different post that you were using 4 or 5 under your amp to even better effect (vs. 3)?

Lon...are you using the IsoCups in conjunction with the PowerBases?  And with the DS and PWT too?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #114 - 11/06/14 at 12:50:58

Interesting - I've never heard of the mini cloud balls, so I did a quick search and came up with this.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gingko2/minicloud.html

It looks like they are using audio sweeps and spectral analysis to read the differences with the devices in place. I should try and figure out how they did that so I can measure what the shelves I'm building do! I've been looking for ways I could measure vibration at home, and so far none have been very telling.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #115 - 11/06/14 at 13:14:35

Yes to all that. Iso-Cups under components on PowerBases.

I have moved to six under amp, DS and PWT. Moving them about really can fine tune the sound. Four is plenty though and it's possible you can get the same results with a lot of patience, I'd recommend four rather than three under the amp.

Like Will I've not really had success with them under my regeneration unit, nor have I felt I get the best from my turntable with them; for those I have found that the VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods work really well, though I have the older, cheaper ones, not the ones that look like StillPoints.

I just put black Iso-Cups and Deep Moss Quartz gemstone balls under my second system, with the exception of the PS Audio Dectet there, where I have the older clear Iso-Cups I had on hand and the Quartz gemstones. What a difference! If I weren't intimately familiar with the system I may consider it just over subtle, but to my ears it's a fundamental change that addresses my biggest dislike with the system. I'm happy!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 11/06/14 at 16:31:22

I am using 4 isocups under the Torii MKIV, as I did under the MKIII. I remember liking it better with 4 rather than 3. As I think about it, this makes some sense in that the amp is big and heavy, and more cups (to a point) will do more...and with the symmetry of the amp build, you can place the front cups symmetrically between the same tubes on each side, and the back 2, in the relationship to the transformers and connections on each side that sounds best. When I tried five and six I heard it, but it did not necessarily sound better for me, and complicated the tuning with more choices. I can see how 5 or 6 could be useful though.

Under my CSP3 and DAC, I use 3, but both are pretty light and small.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 11/15/14 at 19:58:22

I have been listening to the ZMA directly on my audio rack without the Tenderfeet and the sound is definitely different.  The music has better defined edges without the Tenderfeet.  That said, I find that the high frequencies can sometimes be a little too harsh with the standard feet on the amp.  When I add the Tenderfeet back in, the sound definitely softens, the high frequencies are more tame, but I am noticing a slight mid-bass bloat and maybe slightly slower bass in general.  I haven't ordered the Iso-Cups yet and was wondering if those that have them can compare vs. the standard feet on the amp.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #118 - 11/15/14 at 20:07:19

Gosh Dave it's so long since I have had the standard rubber feet on an amp I can't really make a comparison. And with both the Tenderfeet and the Iso-Cups what you are putting them ON can make a difference in the sound.

But I agree that the Tenderfeet can soften the upper frequencies and add a mid-bass bloat. Sometimes on some shelves/racks that actually brings the sound to neutral! But the Iso-Cups don't share these characteristics (though you can emulate them a bit with different balls). They're more neutral overall and really open up rather than soften the sound is how I hear it.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 11/16/14 at 17:54:40

I have not tried regular tenderfeet with my amp in a really long time, but remember not liking them with my MKIII for the reasons you mention Dave. Regular tenderfeet are rated to 40 lbs and the MKIV is a few pounds under that, and ZMA a few over... but I think they may be effected more by weight than Herbie's suggests. With lighter gear, they seem more neutral, though still a little on the dark/soft side, but with some components, nicely so.

I just put some extra firm tenderfeet under the MKIV very close to the same positions as the Isocups (which may be a mistake with them, but it is point of reference), and they sound OK. They seem quieter due to being less dynamic and less open and "awake" mids down, and they are more edgy/brittle on top. From this test, to me, there is no comparison. The isocups sound more real, more neutral, more alive with a smoother, but detailed and natural sounding top.

When I first got isopcups, it was really a different system then, but I do recall them smoothing the sound...shifting the feeling a little toward warmer/less bright. But they did it in a plausible way when thinking of noise sounding bright and edgy on top, and less articulate, dynamic, and looser lower down....rather than smoother and more revealing.

With the MKIII and MKIV, moving them around yields a number of noticeable sound variations....brighter/more open, to richer and more textured, to darker and bassier, and so on. Then, with different balls, you can go further toward a bit brighter or darker...more or less articulate...more or less highs or bass as a beginning. I found Herbie's explanation of the different balls to be pretty right here.

I would seem the ZMA would respond similarly, but not having one, I can't say.

Right now I like the stock balls under the MKIV (though, when I first got some new model isocups, I did prefer the combination of two old style with highend feet and lampblack balls, and two new style cups with supersonic balls). For my tastes, this just sounds right...nothing sticking out....balanced, revealing, smooth, dynamic, neutral.

But if tastes or the system/room causes them to sound a little "off", you can change the positions and/or balls causing somewhat subtle, but quite real shifts. And with 90 days to explore....well you can tell I think they are worth a try. Wink

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 11/16/14 at 19:37:46

Thanks Will.  I am going to place an order today for some Iso Cups.  Also, I sent you a message about Morrow cables (should be in your inbox)  Cheers.

EDIT:  Just saw that you responded.  Thanks Will!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #121 - 11/17/14 at 17:07:10

I have all my CSP2/CSP2+ preamps in use now; my trusty old CSP2 had been sitting in a closet and is now back in use. Lord help me I set up yet another system, gifted to my girlfriend to replace the twenty year old Sony system she had in her living-room. I kept her speakers, they're tower speakers and actually sound decent with the right amp. Didn't sound right with my Decware C amp modded by Eddie Vaughn, but they match really well with the DAL Audio Retro 3886 Chip Amp built just up the street from me. Surprised me how well this amp sounds with the Decware CSP2 and the PS Audio PWD Mk3. I also installed another California Audio Labs CL-10 which is a great great cd changer, I am so happy with the balanced, dynamic sound I get out of this changer. This one in this system I'm using as a transport, it's an excellent transport to feed the PWD Mk2.

I'm using good cabling (cryoset.com, Ethereal --found I needed a shielded cable running to the DAL Audio amp and that was what I have, nice cable with PCOCC wire--Decware, MAC and Analysis Plus) and in time I'll get some better power treatment there.Using Tenderfeet as well, they're working well here. The living room/dining room of her 1918 bungalow out in the woods has surprisingly good sound, which is odd with it's old suspended wood floor, two different ceiling heights, and big windows on two sides. I like the sound I'm getting, and she's over the moon happy with the improvement. "I can't believe I have tubes!" she said gleefully. I love making her happy.

I love very little more than setting up systems apparently!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #122 - 12/02/14 at 01:25:05

Well, the system at my girlfriend's is sounding quite good. That DAL amp works well with the CSP2 there, it's not as rich as a Decware amp but the tonality and imaging are right and the power is there, they work well with the Sony tower speakers, which I must say are impressive in their control and dispersion. There's an audible hum that I am going to keep trying to remove. I put in a PS Audio Duet there which helped some. I'm sure it's the CSP2 interacting with the amp and may be a tube. . . . I'll roll some tubes soon.

At my parents the only recent change has been very significant: I've put my Power Plant Premier in where the PS Audio Duet had been. This has just polished the system up to a shine, eliminating all my little quibbles. The tonality is just right now with a smooth extended treble and tight bass, open midrange. A real sense of body to the music, fuller than it was before. Listening fatigue is all but nonexistent. Dad and I have been happily listening, and it's great that he can do so, since he's missing my Mom so much.

Edit to the post above this: it's a California Audio Labs CL-5, not CL-10, that I am using in both the system at Dad's and the new system for Lucy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #123 - 01/09/15 at 13:39:03

Okay, the system at Lucinda's is sounding very good, she's very happy with it and I have something decent to listen to music and movies and TV on there at her house for the next six months before I move in and really take advantage of the great "rooms" she has with my main system and bedroom system. (Both her living-room/dining room and whole upstairs bedroom area are very nice-sounding rooms! As good as my Dad's living-room--I haven't had a really good room for some time).

So now I've decided I'm going to incorporate most of my current bedroom system into the system here at Dad's as I'm just not using the bedroom system at all. When Lucinda and I are in my bedroom we're not listening to music or watching TV! And I only stumble up there and fall asleep and wake up and stumble to the shower when I'm home alone. The components and most of the cabling are better there, so why not see what they do here at Dad's. What's held me back a while is that the system here IS AWESOME and I'm not really wanting to lose any magic. But chances are I'll gain not lose magic.

I'm going to do this in waves: cabling first, then source component, then amp/pre-amp, then speakers. So first I'll move over from the bedroom system the AC-12 to drive the PPP, the AC-10s for the amp and pre-amp, and leave the MAC Burly to drive the CAL-5 cd changer. Then I plan a bit later to move over the Denon DCD-A100 100th Anniversary SACD player and use that DAC for the CAL-5 changer digital out, and also play SACDs,* will probably use the other MAC Burly in use here for that. After getting a handle on that sound I'll move over the CSP2+ and Torii Mk III from the bedroom system (both with Beeswax caps) to take the place of the CSP2+ and the Torii Mk II here. Then when I've digested that, I'll try the silver HR-1s in place of the ERRs. Should sound AMAZING.

That will leave me a bedroom system with decent cabling to and from the PS Audio Dectet, my Denon BDP-A100 100th Anniversary Universal player as an audio and video source (great player, very rich sounding) and a CSP2+ and Torii Mk II connected to ERRs. Should sound very good for an occasionally used bedroom system. When I move in to Lucy's this will probably sound awesome in her upstairs area.

See, I found a way to set up two systems this month using familiar components. I love setting up systems. I should somehow find a way to make money with that!

*Just got an 8 SACD set of the Tokyo String Quartet playing the Beethoven String Quartets that I can't wait to hear in Dad's room.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #124 - 01/15/15 at 14:46:58

I have completed two "phases" of change to the system at Dad's.

On Sunday I took advantage of the fact that my brother took Dad to church to change out all the power cords in the system. Ran a PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 from the wall into the Power Plant Premier, an AC-10 from the Premier into the Torii Mk II and also one into the CSP2+ and an AC-5 into the California Audio CL-5 changer. I got an improvement from the start but after 24 hours an even deeper improvement. Violin tone and piano attack were even more natural. This was a welcome change in this classical music based system. I don't know that I would have thrown the money at this system if I did not already have these cables on hand, but repurposing them here was a good move indeed.

Then Monday night while Dad was watching the OSU game I installed my Denon DCD-A100 SACD player/DAC. This is an excellent CD player that has the second best SACD playback I have ever heard, and its excellent 32 bit DAC can be accessed via coaxial, optical or USB. So I connected the CL-5 via coaxial to the DCD-A100 and used a Decware Silver Reference power cord to power the DCD-A100. I shifted the VooDoo Cable "Evolution" interconnects from the analog outs of the CL-5 to the analog outs of the DCD-A100. Over the next two days I listened to SACD and CD from the CL-5 as well as CD from the DCD-A100 and it didn't sound to me quite as wonderful as I had expected it to from how it sounded in my two systems at my place. There was a steeliness to the violin tone that I just didn't prefer and also a thickening of the imaging and stage. So I swapped the Decware cord for a PS Audio xStream Premier SC cord that had been in use in this system before and after an overnight settling in I got just the excellent sound I was expecting. Listening to the Tokyo String Quartet Beethoven SACDs has been a real joy. Just the right balance and the depth to the sound and stage is very pleasing. My Dad is really enjoying the music. Right now I'm listening to the Beethoven Violin Concerto by Heifetz and the BSO on RCA Living Stereo SACD and it's dynamic and thrilling.

My next step is to try the PS Audio xStream Statement speaker cable I have in use in my second system at home here. I think I can make the 6' length work. I think that these may just be a better fit for the system here at Dad's than the Decware Styx cables. I just am finding that silver-plated copper does not quite yield the refined tone that I feel the musical content here could benefit from. It's almost perfect but I think that big heavy copper configuration in the PS Audio cables may just add the solid foundation I think that is all that is lacking. I'll try that this weekend . . . hope I can make the length work with the same ERR positioning.

After that I am going to swap out the preamp and amp from my second system at home to this one at Dad's. . . replace the Mk II with the Mk III with stepped attenuator and Jupiter caps, and the CSP2+ with the CSP2+with stepped attenuator and Jupiter caps. I'll keep the same tube complement that is in Dad's system now. I think that will be a decided step up in refined and natural sound. After that I'll consider moving the silver HR-1s here. It's hard for me to imagine which of the speakers will be best. . .The ERRs sound as they never have in this room and are really a delight (especially as the Mundorf silver caps and metal oxide resistors have seasoned in, they are a great upgrade).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #125 - 01/19/15 at 00:18:28

Well, I took the next step, exchanged speaker cable in this system here at Dad's. I took out the Decware Styx and put in the PS Audio xStream Statement speaker cable, and the 6' length was plenty here even though these aren't very flexible speaker cables. Fits perfectly.

What a difference. Gone is the slight forward sound I was trying to eliminate here, and the lower frequencies just have so much more solidity and authority. Cello sings and resonates. Contrabass violin thumps (the way that it should, not with boomy looseness). Piano notes have a bit more control and body to the sound. A definite move forward! I always liked these speaker cables but their length only worked for me when I had a small dedicated listening room, so I moved to the Styx, and later the Mapleshade Double Helix Plus when I was able to house the main system in larger rooms. Very glad I made this move on Dad's system!

So soon I'll swap out the amp and preamp. . . . See how going from a Mk II to a Mk III with beeswax caps will be, and going from a CSP2+ without beeswax caps to one that has beeswax caps will be. I predict great sound will ensue.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #126 - 01/24/15 at 01:44:02

Days later, everything has been settling in and sounding excellent here at Dad's. Out of the blue this evening Dad said "Man that really sounds great, it's been sounding great for days now." When I think back to how the system sounded two years ago I want to say to it "You've come a long way baby!"

Bringing over the Denon DCD-A100 and the PS Audio xStream Statement speaker cables made a real difference.

Soon I'm going to swap out the Torii Mk II for the Mk III with Jupiter caps I have in my second system at home, and the CSP2+ with Jupiter caps in that system for the CSP2+ without Jupiter caps in this system. Then after that settles in I may or may not swap the ERRs for the silver HR-1s. I may not though because this room and the ERRs are such a fantastic match.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 01/25/15 at 13:49:17

Yesterday I found that there is a direct line that terminates 8 feet from one of my listening room outlets.  Nothing on this line but a sump pump and a light.  Neither are used very often.  It has to be quite a downpour before the sump kicks on.  

Anyway it took me a couple hours to tap in to the line and change out the outlet to one of my cryod hubbles but it was well worth the time.  

I didn't think I would get much of a lift given I have the power regenerator but I was wrong.  Very nice increase in SQ.   More bass depth and better texture to the music all around.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #128 - 01/25/15 at 19:05:39

Very cool discovery!

I think anything one does for power from the fusebox to the component power cord pays off if done right!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #129 - 02/25/15 at 13:10:29

Last week I experimented with this system at Dad's by putting in the TAD 6L6 in the power slots on the Torii Mk III. I then rolled the Westing House OA3 to Hytron OB3 and the RCA OA2 to Raytheon OC2 and did some adjustment with the treble cut circuit and some really interesting sound has resulted. I may put the Genelax KT66 back in soon, as there's a seductive touch of lushness that these impart to the sound that I miss, but the 6L6 bring a focused intensity to the sound that is really nice with classical music and for the ERR speakers. Dynamic and tonally rich, but focused tight. A nice change. I like the 6L6 in the Mk III better than they had fared in the Mk II.

I also for the second time put my Eddie Vaughn modded "C" Zen amp into the system at Lucinda's. When I first set up a system there (keeping only her Sony floor-standing speakers which I must say I've learned to like) something was not quite right, I thought the amp was not quite up to driving the speakers, so I popped in my DAL Audio gain-clone amp and that sounded very good, surprisingly good as more and more hours went on. The DAL Audio amp had a really solid instrumental image and a very nice neutral tone and it only lacked the extremity of the holographic soundstage you get with a Zen amp. Though there was a hum I just couldn't get completely rid of even with shield cables and  PS Audio Duet line conditioning. The hum didn't bother Lucinda and she LOVED the sound for TV, DVD and music. I was quite comfortable with it too, didn't feel I was "stepping down" too much listening over there. But now the "C" amp shines, not sure why it does so differently now though I have rolled some CSP2 tubes since then. And no hum! Unexpectedly a denser (less instrumental separation actually, which surprises me) sound than then DAL Audio but with that 3D quality. I didn't tell Lucinda I was doing the change and when she came in from work she started dancing in the living room to the Derailers cd I was spinning. She's enjoying the sound--sound effects on the TV seem to really grab her attention more and she approves of the amp change!

So now all my Decware amps are in use. . . . When I move in to her place in July I probably will only have two systems set up (main in the place of this one, bedroom in the bedroom) and this "C" will go back into the closet as back up.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #130 - 04/06/15 at 23:50:37

Here at Dad's place I have made a few changes. Due to upgrading my cables in my main system I moved a VooDoo Cable Ultralinear interconnect to take the place of the VooDoo Cable Evolution between the CSP2+ and Torii Mk III. And I now have a pair of Westinghouse OA3s in (was using OB3 before) and a pair RCA OB2 in place of Raytheon OC2. This combo and this interconnect change have really brought out dynamics. I've been listening to the excellently recorded and mastered box set of Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's work on RCA and tympani and whole sections of instruments are just blooming out of the speakers into the room. Really amazing sound. I am not going to mess with anything here, just let it all stay as is and percolate. Dad and I are reveling in good sound daily. I'm so glad I can bring him this sort of reproduction, he is really enjoying it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #131 - 04/11/15 at 13:02:00

One final change here (yeah right). Due to receiving some headphones and needing to have a CSP2+ with a headphone jack in my main system (the one I like most does not have a headphone jack) I moved out the CSP2+ from this system here at Dad's and was going to put the first CSP2+ in (which had been sitting doorman a while) but when I did I discovered it needs some work. Doesn't seem to be tubes but there's some distortion and channel imbalance. So I just have the Denon DCD-A100 SACD player/DAC running straight into the Torii Mk III via the best interconnect in the system, the VooDoo Cable UltraLinear.

Whoa! Such clarity! Such dynamics! I had gotten used to the natural compression the CSP2+ brings to the system, and this really does help with listening levels with classical music (allowing the very quiet to be a bit more prominent) but with just one interconnect in the path (may be a bit different if I had two UltraLinears here but the other is an Evolution) things are better. Dad sat right up and said "That sounds really good." Nice to have this sort of affirmation!

I promise myself I'll not make any more changes. . . soon. Wink

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 04/11/15 at 13:05:53

How many times have we heard that one, Lon?  This is that last Amp I'll ever buy. I have X pair of speakers, why would I want another.  I'm done tube rolling.  The list goes on...hehe.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #133 - 04/11/15 at 13:13:38

Indeed.

Though I think it will be grinding to a halt soon. And I'll probably be putting a lot of things up for sale. When I move this summer I won't need but my main system and a headphone system. That will mean I have at least two full systems to sell and possibly three as my Dad will probably need a simpler system in his new home, and he has that on hand with his prior equipment and a pair of PeachTree bookshelf speakers I have. I'm going to be putting a lot of cds and books into storage, but no need to store a lot of stereo equipment. So I'll probably sell a few amps, a few sources and a set of speakers (probably the ERRs, can't see myself selling a pair of HR-1s unless someone locally wants them.) And a lot of cables etc. End of an era, where it's no more "lonely boy audiophile with time on his hands" and straight into life with a wonderful woman again (and one who is not into audio even though she's not a music hater).

I have a bit of trepidation about all this mainly because I hate selling stuff and hate parting with stuff, but it has to happen. . . it will be years and years before Lucy and I have a bigger house and I can then perhaps have the fun of doing this all over again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 04/11/15 at 13:28:29

Lon,  I'd be more than happy to store all those CDs and all that gear for nothing.  No need to rent a storage unit, just send it down to Big D...hehe.  But seriously, I'll take a look at anything you want to sell.  I've completely reverted to my old Hoarding Ways and still have a bit more room in the house and the Pod on the driveway.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #135 - 04/11/15 at 13:36:49

Cool. I'll be working that out in the next months. Too bad I don't have room to store onsite. We have to decide in the next few years whether to build on her property or whether we are going to move somewhere warmer in time. She wants to work five to ten more years. . . when she stops working there's a possibility of moving to South Carolina or Georgia, somewhere like that. And of a few of her sisters moving too. They can't bear to be too far apart. We men in their lives just go with the flow. . . it's easiest that way. Smiley And her sisters are amazing women, I love them all, already.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #136 - 04/23/15 at 13:03:28

Well, I have come to the conclusion that if you have killer interconnects a source straight into the Torii sounds better than the source first into a CSP2+ with lesser interconnects. In my experience interconnects are very important. Even though this means you are running the amp at a lower gain setting. Running the Denon DCD-A100 straight into the Torii with the VooDoo Cable UltraLinear interconnect is the best this system has sounded! Just a delight. I'm really enjoying each spin. I'll miss this system when Dad and I both move. I'll probably set his old system up and use the Calfornia Audio CAL-5 as a source (right now I'm using it as a transport when I'm not here, feeding into the Denon, on repeat; when I'm here I use one disc at a time into the DCD-A100 itself.)

Just dawned on me how many things I'll have to sell soon. I've been stockpiling! Four systems down to 1.5 systems. . . I'll keep some things in storage, but a lot will go.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #137 - 04/23/15 at 15:41:33

Lon, if you have a spare Torii MK III, I may be interested, especially with Beeswax Caps on it. I may even have it go through the UFO Mod conversion and warranty transfer, if applicable.

Of course, it will all depend on the modification costs and the amp's selling price. It could well be I would be better off going for the MK IV directly.

Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #138 - 04/23/15 at 16:30:00

I just might, and both my Mk IIIs have beeswax caps; it will be hard to part with one of my Mk IIIs (I also have a Mk II!) but realistically I probably will part with one. It will be a few months before I'm going to be parting with amps, preamps, and maybe speakers, but I'll probably list some sources and cables etc. sooner. We'll see. My fiancee accuses me of being a pack rat and she may be right, it's hard to part with anything, especially when I don't have something else I want to get (I am so happy with my system which I have taken as far as I can go without room treatment etc.--I'm probably never going to be able to go the room treatment route, but that's fine, my system sounds like real music to me, not soundstage minutiae which aren't really real to me).

Anyway, thanks for your interest and I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #139 - 04/23/15 at 19:26:22

Great, thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #140 - 06/12/15 at 13:40:51

Well, last night I put my first pair of HR-1s into the system at Lucy's. So the path is PS Audio PWT into PS Audio PWD Mk 2 into CSP2 into modded Zen C amp to HR-1s.

Really nice sound, though not as much bass as I'd like ultimately, but good enough for another month or so. The Zen C put more bass out into Lucy's Sony speakers, which I have to say are really great speakers. Gave a very good conventional stereo sound in that system, though not the room filling wonder of the HR-1s, but far better than I imagined they would have. They must be surprisingly efficient as well.

Anyway, I'm about five weeks from having my main system at Lucy's (and my mattress and self!) Going to be a great adventure living out in the wooded area, so much more quiet there with far fewer human and machine sounds, and lots of birds and rustling trees. And I can play music and instruments as loud as I want when alone.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #141 - 06/12/15 at 15:42:15

Good luck with the move, and a happy future Lon!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #142 - 06/12/15 at 15:45:34

Thanks Eric. It will be nice to have a life of my own again!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #143 - 06/29/15 at 16:56:10

Wow, it's very clear what a great rack/cabinet and the Herbie's Audi Iso-Cups do for a system! I moved Dad's cherry wood stereo cabinet and his old stereo components to his new place, and then set up the stereo here without the cabinet and the Iso-Cups. Still sounds good, but not AS good, clearly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print