04/19/24 at 04:53:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 Break In (Read 12130 times)
jgrillo
Verified Member

ZP3 Break In
05/13/13 at 03:27:25

Hi guys, a first time poster here and new Decware customer. I just received my ZP3, and am using it with  P3-24/Dynavector combo,and after only maybe 15 hours I am wondering if I am having break-in pains or if there's something more afoot.

As of yet, it seems that all the 'weight' of the music, or that which is usually centered (vocals, bass), is focused through only one speaker. I am getting a musical signal out of the other speaker,  but it sounds so anemic in comparison. Is this customary for this tube unit's break in, coupling cap dielectrics, etc? The sound isn't so much shifting back and forth across the soundstage as much as it seems focused off to one side.

To isolate the ZP3 I have swapped speaker cables and connectors, other preamps, amplifier inputs,  checked amplifier settings, measured speakers off walls, etc, and the new unit seems to be the culprit. The sound is beautiful for not being broken in; clear and deep. But I would love to hear it out of both speakers in greater balance. Any advice or comments as to what may be the issue? Hoping it's a normal break in issue and I can just sit back and relax about it. Appreciate any feedback.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: ZP3 Break In
Reply #1 - 05/13/13 at 12:02:40

Hi jgrillo, welcome, I found the ZP3 needed some break in for the bass to appear and treble to become tamed. It just all sounded tizzy ( or anemic ). Slowly it all came together over about 10 hours and has been imptoving since.
I dont think balance was an issue but cant be sure.
The pair of 12ax7`s can be swopped around to see if there is a tube issue there. The other tubes would need to be replaced to check.Tubes have been known to play up after transit ( I`ve read ).
It should all be ok as per QC testing.
I`d stick with it and hopefully you`ll hear it all come together.
If not then a call to Steve would, I think just concern tubes.
It`s a great unit.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/13/13 at 15:04:49

Thanks Mark! I appreciate your opinion...I hope the sound "fills in" shortly! Any other observations out there about their break in experiences?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/13/13 at 18:18:16

Hi! I'm not posting much these days on the board for several reasons, but saw your thread about one of my favorite machines, the ZP3.

To be honest, you should NOT have a channel imbalance like this during breakin in my opinion. I think it's possible one of the tubes may be imbalanced, or something is not right with the unit. I would see if I could determine whether the effect moves from channel to channel with a tube, and if not, then give Steve a call, he's the best troubleshooter there is for this preamp. Hope it is resolved soon!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/13 at 19:46:04

Thanks Lon, you definitely championed this machine other places as well and are part of the reason I bought in to the Decware philosophy and product line. I will be checking the tubes, switching the 12ax7's. The I will post back. Thanks alot!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/14/13 at 01:27:07

When it's broken in, and when it's properly balanced channel to channel, it's an amazing machine!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/14/13 at 03:37:27

Well just changed up the 12ax7's. One is significantly "noisier" in the lead role (white noise), but there was no change to the balance. I will be giving Steve a call tomorrow about what I am experiencing. Bummer. I am hoping it's as simple as a tube substitution...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/04/13 at 15:11:16

Jgrillo,  I just read your thread.  Did you get your ZP3 operating properly.  What was the problem?  Mark

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/05/13 at 00:19:50

Hi Mark. The ZP3 issue was a tube issue, seemed the two 12AX7s were each a little off balance, so Steve sent me a new tube set under warranty and it's been great since then. It's broken in and "keeps getting sweeter" as Steve's literature likes to say. I have since swapped out the Ruby rectifier for a mid-50's RCA 5Y3GT which suits the original Electro Harmonix 12AX7s. I picked up a pair of new Genelex 12AX7s, which are real nice sounding out of the box (body, weight, tone) but I haven't used them much...not even enough for break-in really.

I am waiting to install those for good until I get my Torii MK IV, which has been finished for a week or so and is awaiting a Pelican case for shipping. I think once I get that puppy I will really be fully invested in the whole Decware experience! Now if I can only find some decently priced 50's/60's coke bottle 5U4s (RCA, GE,  Sylvania) for the IV I will be in another galaxy come this time next week!

Quick question: what tubes can cause a channel imbalance ...is it only the input/output tubes? Can rectifiers and voltage regulators cause this too? Curious as I am new to tubes with this gear!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/05/13 at 11:27:07

You must be one of the three Torii MK IV's at the beginning of the build sheet.  Are you James G. from MA...I'm Mark M. from TX. Yesterday I received a notice that my credit card was charged so I'm assuming shipment is near.  I didn't know what the hold up was but didn't want to bother Sarah more than I already have.

I am new to Decware too, starting my Journey with the Taboo III received in August '13 followed by a CSP 3 about a month ago.  I haven't done any tube rolling in them yet. Soon I will have a new ZP3 and Torri MK IV in place.  I'll let them burn in with stock tubes for a while after which I have several NOS tubes ready for them. I ordered a pair of the HR 1's in September but don't expect them until March, hopefully sooner. In the meantime I've been using a pair of Zu Audio "Soul" speakers that I'm not too wild about.  I find myself putting on my Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones to get the sound I'm looking for....I find the "Souls" a bit lacking even after break in. With Decware I've learned patience is necessary but the reward does come...eventually.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 11/05/13 at 11:43:55

It seems (at least from my last orders) that Decware ships on Tuesdays. Hope that yours ships today!

I too have been waiting for new HR-1s. . . since May. Sigh. Hope they ship soon. . . but we can just try to wait patiently.

IP Logged
jgrillo
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/06/13 at 01:58:58

Man oh man...you guys are upping the ante with all these toys. I think the only logical step is for me to replace my KEF Q9's at some point with a pair of the MG944, though I know they are being phased out for the 945 model. I might get lucky and find some 944s being sold locally in the New England area!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print