Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:18:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TABOO MK III vs. SUPERZEN with speakers (Read 15593 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

TABOO MK III vs. SUPERZEN with speakers
04/30/13 at 01:41:07

The predecessor TABOO (Mk II) was designed for the EL84 tube while the SUPERZEN was designed for the 6P15P-EV.

Play 6P15P-EV tubes in a TABOO MKII and you get less power and "spank" I believe Steve said.

Play EL84 tubes in a SUPERZEN and it is laid back to the point that you don't want to listen to it.

The new TABOO is marketed primarily for headphone use. I cannot get over how versatile this thing is, with dual headphone jacks, meters,  input controls, new lucid mode and all that. It is virtually incredible how Steve thunk up all of this.

My question is what does the TABOO MK III sound like with speakers? A sub issue is whether the amp will have optimal sound characteristics using the 6P15P-EV; I suspect so because it is marketed with this tube.

How would the TABOO MK III sound with TRAPEZIUM speakers near field?

If the unit boasts 4.3 watts into 8 ohms, would it give 2.3 watts into 4 ohms? That is the same power as the SUPERZEN.

Does the MK III have any additional power using an EL84 tube?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
markv

Re: TABOO MK III vs. SUPERZEN with speakers
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 17:12:01

I too would like to know what the Taboo III sounds like with speakers.  My priority are speakers first, headphones second.  With the $200 discount available for a short time, it would be nice to read a review of the III based on speakers only.  I have Omega Super 3 XRS 8ohm speakers.

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/13 at 22:19:01

IMO, the Taboo III sounds great with speakers, in particular Omega Super 3E speakers (8ohm/94.5db). I did not purchase the Taboo III as a headphone amp ( I already had my Woo WA-2 and vintage Fisher X202B for headphone duty). I purchased the Taboo III primarily for my new Omega speakers and it has done an exemplary job of powering the Omega's. I do listen desktop/nearfield with a powered sub. IMO, the Taboo III sounds virtually every bit as good as the SE34I.3. I originally ordered the SE34I.3 and had it for two weeks but could not keep it due to an intransigent hum issue neither Steve nor I could satisfactorily resolve. With the Taboo III you get a great headphone amp AND a wonderful speaker amp. You can't ask for too much more than that at such a reasonable price with a lifetime warranty.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3 - 05/10/13 at 11:25:34

Rivieraranch,

I should be able to also answer some of your questions soon since I have a new Taboo on the way. I have the Trapeziums, and I'll be able to compare the two in a desktop system where I also use my LCD 2 headphones....good times Smiley

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/09/15 at 01:50:17

Can anyone else chime in?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/09/15 at 16:59:14

Zen101,  I think I can help.  My first Decware product was the Taboo MK III that I bought to use with Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones.  I eventually used it with a pair of Zu Audio Souls.  That was a long time ago but at 4.6 WPC the Taboo MK III drove the Souls at 99 dB and 8 ohms to more than adequate volumes.

Next I bought a pair of Omega Alnico floor standing speakers at 93 dB and 8 ohms...the Taboo didn't provide adequate volume even with near field listening...about 5 feet from speakers.

Later I bought a pair of Zen Signature Monoblocks from 2008, rated at 2.3WPC.  They drove the Souls well and even the Omegas played with more than adequate volumes.  Both the Zen and Taboo use the stock Russian output tubes Steve provides.

I now switch between the two sets of speakers in my den.  The source used is a Jolida 100 CD Player with 50's Raytheon 12AX7 tubes.

I realize this doesn't make sense and would welcome anyone's input why a 2.3 WPC Amp would play the Omegas louder than the 4.6 WPC Taboo MK III.  The Monoblocks were modified over the years by Steve...bees wax caps, up graded resistors?, CKC mod?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/10/15 at 23:04:46

@ mark58 ... are you using the Taboo III with a preamp?  What is the gain on the Jolida 100 CD Player in comparison to what the Taboo needs?  

I was having similar issue with low volumes until I put a preamp in the mix that matched the gain input on the Taboo quite nicely and then I got to full volume and even use it for home theater.  I have the Taboo II though ...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/15 at 23:45:22

When I tried the Omega Alincos with the Taboo MK III it was not hooked up to a pre amp.  The Taboo MK III needs 2.1 volts for full output and the Jolida specs below state greater than 2 volt line output voltage.  I had considered trying my CSP3 with the Taboo and Omegas but never got around to it.  I bought the Zen Signature Monoblocks and my problem was solved.  Prior to that I was switching between the Omegas and HR-1s in my main system with a Torii MK IV...where they performed well.  Mark.

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz (+-0.5dB)

Signal to Noise Ratio: > 102dB

THD + N Distortion: < 0.01%, 1kHz

Channel Separation: > 96dB (1kHz)

Line Output Voltage: > 2V, 47 Kohms

Digital Output: 0.5Vpp, 75 ohms

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/11/15 at 00:04:57

I have both the MKII and MKIII and I was just curious what the Super Zen was like.  I might buy one and keep the winner.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/11/15 at 00:17:55

If the Super Zen sounds like my Zen Signature Monoblocks with Jupiter caps and the CKC mod...you'll love it. My Taboo MK III will soon be back in service only with Audeze LCD headphones.  I'm off to the Listening Cave... Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1215205416

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 03/12/15 at 05:11:21

I have a Taboo MKII with V-Caps there designed for speakers though I had it upgraded with headphone jack.  It is really nice sounding airy.  I think the SET zen should be so as well...?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print