Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:11:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommended Speakers That Can Be Used Nearfield? (Read 19807 times)
Slapshot
Verified Member

Recommended Speakers That Can Be Used Nearfield?
04/23/13 at 04:46:16

I'm considering a Torii Mk III as my next amplifier purchase based on some remarkable reviews and commentary. It seems as though it might be the perfect solution for my needs. I love the SET sound, and have had a few previous SET amplifiers. The mid range magic, the fluidity and ephereal texture are simply addictive. However, the sometimes sluggish aspects, and less than aceptable bass led me away from them. Well, that and the very low wattage and extremely limited number of speaker options, at least that mere mortals can afford. The Torii Mk III seems to have all the positives and none of the negatives, and 25 wpc allows a far wider range of speaker choices. I have heard that the amp sounds much better with certain speakers than others though.

I have a nearfield setup, due to available room size constraints. The speakers can only be placed about 5 feet apart, with the listener about 5.5 feet away at the point of a triangle.

Can any of you recommend some ideal matches for this amplifier that also meet the nearfield criteria I am limited to? Any, expertise, perspectives or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JC

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Recommended Speakers That Can Be Used Nearfield?
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 02:06:41

It is difficult to find a speaker that the MKIII does not like. Are you considering full range or bookshelf? One of the DECWARE speakers would fill the bill nicely.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Slapshot
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 04:44:49

Full range would be preferable. As far as the Decware speakers, the lower cost models won't meet my needs, and the upper models are above my budget. I'm looking at used speakers around $3,000.00 to maximize my purchasing power.

JC

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 07:23:49

If mainly near field listening and you want all the S.E.T. sexiness ... you should be ok with a SET amp such as the Rachel or the Super Zen and a pair of really efficient speaker/monitors.

Another thing to consider in nearfield listening is that conventional hi-fi speakers may not be optimum due to having separate HF and LF units and concentric driver arrangements are often better than multi drive cabinets.  Think Tannoy Revolution DC4 and KEF R100 type driver setups.

However the speaker brands listed above are NOT efficient enough for low wattage tube amps ... but here are a few that are similar in design, but WAY more efficient.

If space is an issue, you could look into the Zu Audio Union Cubes.  They have a very small cabinet at only 10.5" x 10.5", but the driver is huge (at least it is for this sized cabinet) at 10-1/3” and it's a full range, cross-over-less at 98dB @ 8 Ohms.  

Recommended Union Cube Amps:

Average Room / Moderate Volume 1-4 watts
Large Room / Loud Volume 4-16 watts

If you wanted to go a little more refined with more bass, the Zu Audio Soul Mk.II may be a good choice.  It has a very similar driver to the Union (if not the same but possibly tweaked).  I have been told by Sean at Zu Audio that the Soul's cabinet design make the driver sound even better, smoother and refined.  And they are even more efficient at 99dB @ 8 Ohms.

Recommended Soul Mk.II Amps:

Average Room / Moderate Volume 2-6 watts
Large Room / Loud Volume 6-18 watts

Another manufacturer that seem to pair well with Decware is Hoyt-Bedford which are also single driver full range cross-over-less designs and 97dB @ 8 ohms (although the driver is not as big as the one used by Zu Audio).  They use the same driver in a wide range of cabinets and are somewhat modular that can be paired up with their own subs or bases.

Another one that pops up for near-field listening are the Parker Audio Model 95 Signatures.  I read a review of them on Steve Hoffman's Forums, and although not a concentric design ... it was a pretty glowing review from a near-field listener.

Quote:
From the Review:
Parker Audio came about with one mans obsession to find the perfect speakers for what he considers the perfect amp, a Decware SE84C-Select which is a very simple single ended triode utilizing EL84 power tubes.

By the way, I don't own any of these speakers (although after speaking with Sean at Zu - I would like to own a pair of Soul Mk.II's, but just basing my opinions on what I have read in reviews and the specs that may fit your situation.

IP Logged
Slapshot
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/13 at 04:23:48

Beowulf,

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I've also had recommendations for the Zu's and Hoyt-Bedford elsewhere. I think I will start there.

JC

IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/30/13 at 23:53:25

Check out Blumenstein Audio Orcas.  Work great in nearfield (as well as "standard") configurations.

Thorens 160/Goldring 1012GX/Rega Fono; SB Duet/Lavry DA 11; Decware SE 34i.2+; Blumenstein Floorstanders

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/13 at 14:49:24

The Blumenstein stuff is very interesting. Thanks for the rec.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/02/13 at 05:43:07

Quote:
The Blumenstein stuff is very interesting.

I've been looking at their website too, they are reasonably priced and the cabinets are beautiful as well.  I wonder how they would compare to the Hoyt-Bedford line?  I think the bigger drivers on the Hoyt-Bedford and Omega Lines would be better in the lower end and for filling larger listening areas.

I've always heard that single drivers don't do hard rock and hard blues all that great at higher sound levels (and that is the bulk of the style of music that I listen to).  They seem to do really good at near field, but when I think of near field I think moderate to lower volumes, but if you're using single drivers in a larger room that you don't plan on doing too much near field listening I have heard more than a few times that when you crank up the volume in larger rooms they seem to break up and only do well with certain types of music.

I can't speak from experience is all I've ever had are multi-driver cabinets, but I like the thought of cross-over-less speakers and that the drivers emanate sound from a single point.  It DOES make a lot of sense especially in a near field listening position.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/02/13 at 14:31:41

beowulf, I suspect that assessment about single drivers don't do well at hard rock or blues at high levels is largely contextual. I have no doubt that certain single driver speakers might well perform as described, especially at low power amplification, but I have head enough of the various Lowther and some Fostex iterations to know it isn't true. Just try on the Teresonics for size. Wrong room, wrong amp, wrong cabinet, any of those can make a single driver inadequate for high dynamics [although we could debate endlessly just how dynamic a lot of rock music isn't], but in nearfield, I don't see much of this as a problem.

Consider also the Cain & Cain Abbys now made by Lovecraft. Lovecraft actually makes a nearfield-specific version of this beautiful speaker. Very good price for this kind of woodwork and sound. They are on my list as I continue to assess what to do about the bedroom and the office.

IP Logged
Jhors2
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/02/13 at 14:37:55

I would consider some Definitive Techs, specifically the STS or ST supertowers, the ST supertowers are 93db efficient, but they also have integrated class D amps for the subwoofer section so you can still get plenty of bass (It is very tight bass btw).  Otherwise I would personally be looking at used PSB Synchrony ones, both of these are full range, so really near field listening isn't ideal, but I listen to my STs at about 8 feet of distance.

PrimaLuna Premium Integrated | Definitive Technology Mythos ST Supertower | Oppo BDP-105 | Zu Mission Throughout (IC, Mains, Etc) | Blue Circle PLC FX2 | Decware ZP3 (On Order)
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/02/13 at 22:24:38

Quote:
PR,
Consider also the Cain & Cain Abbys now made by Lovecraft. Lovecraft actually makes a nearfield-specific version of this beautiful speaker. Very good price for this kind of woodwork and sound. They are on my list as I continue to assess what to do about the bedroom and the office.

Wow, those are beauties and they seem pretty reasonably priced as well!  The near-field version sounds like a winner for smaller rooms.  I read a few reviews just now and all have very good remarks on their performance.  Another thing I like is that they port out the front, which seems they would be easier to place in tighter quarters than rear ports.

There's just so many choices out there, if you sit and analyze everything it's hard to make a purchase Grin

IP Logged
Slapshot
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 05/04/13 at 19:46:31

Pale Rider said:

"Consider also the Cain & Cain Abbys now made by Lovecraft. Lovecraft actually makes a nearfield-specific version of this beautiful speaker. Very good price for this kind of woodwork and sound. They are on my list as I continue to assess what to do about the bedroom and the office."

I've been all over the Cain & Cain/Lovecraft website and can't locate a "nearfield-specific" version?

JC

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/13 at 01:25:23

Quote:
Slapshot,
I've been all over the Cain & Cain/Lovecraft website and can't locate a "nearfield-specific" version?

The website isn't all that put together and I don't think there's a mention of nearfield drivers actually listed on it.

I actually read a review of the Abbyes on Enjoy The Music and they briefly mentioned the nearfield version here.

Quote:
From Enjoy The Music,
The "Nearfield" model uses the Fostex FF 165K driver and is designed to work best in rooms that are 12' x 12' x 8' (WxLxH) or smaller. If you are going to be sitting six feet or less from the driver, the "Nearfield" version is probably a better choice.

IP Logged
Slapshot
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/06/13 at 03:32:52

Thanks Beowulf. that website leaves a lot to be desired and was driving me crazy trying to find that information.

JC

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/13 at 16:55:32

Check here as well on the PranaWire site. Have not been able to confirm form them yet if they still sell them, but it's good info.

IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/06/13 at 19:16:36

Jumping in to provide a quick response to the concern about single drivers and blues/rock music.  I listen to a lot of very dynamic rock music and can tell you that my system (Decware 34i.2+ & Orca Floorstanders) handles it very well.  I've had big Naim systems in the past, and the SET/single-driver system I have now makes me very happy.  Of course, it also sounds great on smaller scale acoustic stuff.  

I don't have experience with a ton of other single-driver speaker/SET systems.  I have no trouble believing that the "doesn't play rock music" reputation applies to certain models/combinations.  But I don't think it would be appropriate to pigeon-hole all single-driver/SET systems as being unsatisfactory for certain types of music.  Just as I wouldn't accuse all solid state/multi-driver sysems of being unable to play chamber music, etc.  

Cheers,

Blake

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/07/13 at 02:40:30

Quote:
PR,
Check here as well on the PranaWire site. Have not been able to confirm form them yet if they still sell them, but it's good info.

Hi PR,

Wow, forget about the Abbeys ... I'm saving up for the PranaWire Avatar II Power Cable it's quite the bargain at only $14,500 for a 1.0 meter cable.  I should have the money in about ... oh 20 years or so! And just think, it's only $4950 for each additional meter after that ... that's when the savings really kick in! Grin

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/07/13 at 03:03:13

Trust me, I know. Past the preposterous, and completely into the theater of the absurd.  While I think cables do matter, just how crazy it has gotten has been well documented. I am not saying that a $14k cable wont't make a difference, just not sure where the bread is under all that butter.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18 - 05/07/13 at 05:55:11

I forget the forum member, but I remember him telling me he has the Blummenstein Audio Orcas and uses them in a near filed setup, and loved'em.  I had checked out their website and I have to say, I was intrigued.  

Here is a short YouTube video clip I found...

http://youtu.be/-TO0YEoKIAQ

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/17/13 at 23:51:03

Speaking of Single Driver Speakers ... I just read an excellent review of the Omega Super 6 Alnico on Digital Audio Review... it scores the very first “Dar-KO award”.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/25/13 at 03:46:09

Quote:
PR,

Consider also the Cain & Cain Abbys now made by Lovecraft.

Hi PR, I just wanted to pass this along since these have both been mentioned within this thread... I was just on the Blumenstein Audio website and it looks as if they are now doing improvement work to the Cain & Cain speaker line.  Just thought this was interesting ... Cool

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/26/13 at 19:53:36

Another near-field-friendly concentric, on the more sensitive side (but need subs) are the JTR Single 8:

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/single-8ht/

IP Logged
cbauer210
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 10/02/13 at 23:03:49

I have a set of Klipsch Kg4's that I really like with this amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print