Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:05:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP2+ added to the signal path (Read 8717 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

CSP2+ added to the signal path
04/21/13 at 21:20:43

I've noticed many Torii Mk II & III owners couple their amps with this preamp. So do some of the Super Zen (and similar) amp owners. I don't therefore see why it would not be also convenient with the Mini Torii.

Aside from some added sound weight, dynamics and better sound control, the CSP2+ can further enhance its contribution with more fine-tuning potential through its variable input and output adjustments.

The concept becomes even more interesting if we consider that "riding the gain' now becomes exponential: You can ride the gain within the CSP2+ (by adjusting the variable inputs and outputs, accordingly), and then use the master volume control against the Mini Torii's volume setting, for a compounded 'gain riding' effect.

This process opens up a myriad of possible input/output combinations, allowing for a much better matching to the particular system's configuration and signature, and to better compensate for its shortcomings.

Furthermore, if the CSP2+ is as neutral as it is supposed to be, its particular contribution should lessen/dilute the unavoidable 'coloring' of the DAC's signals going to the Mini Torii.  Ater all, all DACs have their own signature (no DAC is perfect), which combines with the amp's own signature.

Having the analog signal being processed by the more neutral preamp will assist in eliminating unwanted 'coloring' from the DAC (especially if the DAC is not top grade).

Therefore, for the cost of adding a CSP2+ and an additional pair of IC's, we can get all the benefits described, including the enhancements inherent to the CSP2+ itself.

Now, compare this proposition to just upgrading your DAC. The new DAC will make significant improvements only when one invests substantially in it. And then, you still get the 'coloring' involved anyway. Most DACs do a good job at converting, but that's just part of the job. The difference between good and excellent DACs lay more on the analog output stage (coloring source), than in its conversion and re-clocking (jitter prevention) duties.

I'm sure Torii Mk II & III owners, as well as some of the others are well aware of this, but I have not seen the Mini Torii community discussing this important sound improvement avenue. This is significantly more pervasive than the simple ZStage proposition, for example.

Any experiences?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP2+ added to the signal path
Reply #1 - 08/17/19 at 13:53:38

I have been enjoying my MT for some time and absolutely love it. I am curious if you ever put the CSP2+ in front as a preamp and what you think? Thanks, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/17/19 at 14:57:11

Fireblade has not posted in a looooooong time.

I have had 3 CSP2+ in my life (now have one, modded with the 25th Anniversary mods, a CSP3 modded with the 25th Anniversary mods, and a ZTPRE). I have never had an MT, but every amp I hav put the CSP2+ in front of has benefited, and not subtly. . . . Always worth a try.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/18/19 at 01:34:05

Thanks Lon. I picked up the CSP2+ from Frank Díaz. I’ll post back once I get it and let you know what I think. By the way, I’ve been reading the forum for some time and I always appreciate what you have to say. You seem very friendly , especially considering those of us that are building systems , and always helpful. Thanks, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 08/18/19 at 02:01:38

Well, you're welcome Jon. I bet you will enjoy the CSP2+! Be sure to update us with your impressions.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/19 at 01:22:08

Hi Jon:

I have a Mini Torii with anniversary modifications that sounds awesome. I recently connected it to a ZSTAGE and then later exchanged the ZSTAGE for a CSP3.

The CSP3 allows you to control the input to the amp. The Mini is very sensitive to input voltage; only 1 volt brings the amp to full power. So the CSP3 gives you the choice of feeding a lower signal to the amp to crank the volume up, or vice versa using the CSP3 for gain and lowering the volume on the amp.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/19/19 at 04:42:00

Thanks for the feedback, Riverranch. I also have a SS amp I can try it with that I’m sure will be vastly improved. I also listen to headphones some so I felt like I couldn’t lose on the purchase. My favorite though is the MT. If I have a choice, I listen to that. So I am anxious to hear what difference the CSP2+ will make. Hard to believe this MT could be better, but I’ve already experienced the difference tubes can make. I’ll post after arrival and a little time to assess.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/20/19 at 02:16:55

Yeah man the Mini Torii is compelling. What version is yours?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/20/19 at 04:27:52

I have the first version with white too, but after the rectifier was changed to EZ-81

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/20/19 at 20:36:15

That is mine basically but with adjustable feedback, headphone jack, UFO transformers and anniversary modifications. You might want to pursue that for yourself.

55   IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/21/19 at 03:53:53

RR, as I said with Lon, I appreciate the comments and helpfulness of many of your posts throughout the forum, especially to those that are new to this. I too have a headphone jack. Not sure if I’ll ever upgrade my MT. Firstly, I don’t think I could part with it long enough. Secondly, I have limited funds and when I want something more it will likely be either a zen for a different sound or a dac. I listen almost exclusively to vinyl currently. Thanks, Jon.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/27/19 at 09:45:43

Received my CSP2+. So far I'm listening with a SS amp (PS Audio Sprout 100), haven't tried it with the MT yet. It adds a lot of weight to the Sprout on the analog input. I also really like th difference of listening to headphones (Sennheiser HD598 and Grado 325) through the CSP2+ vs without. I will try with MT too, but the Sprout really needed help with the analog source, noise level was often too high to get high enough volume. Not anymore.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print