Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:45:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plugs to keep your Taboo III jacks dirt free (Read 17159 times)
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Plugs to keep your Taboo III jacks dirt free
04/20/13 at 21:52:00

I posted info and links about this over on the Head-Fi Decware Taboo III appreciation thread yesterday. As you all know the Taboo III is designed to be a headphone amp first (forget that it's also a great speaker amp). It has 4 headphone jacks: 2 phono and 2 XLR. Since they are mounted flat on the top plate, dirt can fall into the openings. To avoid this I started looking for something to cover the openings. I found rubber plugs for the XLR jacks (and I thought the phono as well) at Markertek.com. I just got the covers today and can report that the "NDF" XLR covers work exceptionally well and look great. The "NDP" phono, not so much, they are too big for the phono jack holes. They are all made of relatively soft black rubber.

The price is inexpensive (.59 cents each for "NDF" and .79 cents each for "SCDF"; shipping costs are about $5.50 priorty mail.  The links for the XLR's (there are two types) are:

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/Neu...

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/Neu...

I recommend the "NDF" type, it's simply fits into the XLR jack, the "SCDM" requires you remove the XLR jack screws and fit this rubber cover under the XLR plate and then replace the screws.

Steve, if you should chance to read this post, I strongly recommend you buy these in bulk and add a couple of bucks to the cost of the amp and supply all Taboo IIIs with these covers. I only wish the "NDP" phone covers fit correctly for the 2 phono jacks.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Plugs to keep your Taboo III jacks dirt free
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 05:02:00

If you want something that fits the 1/4 phono (headphone) jacks, try this:

Since the Taboo Jacks are non-shorting these stereo adapters work well as plugs.  

This is an adaptor to 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

WWW   IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 13:59:24

Thanks Steve for the reply.

I did consider the phono jacks you mentioned, but settled on two dirt cheap cream colored 1 inch long nylon screws with wide knurled tops for hand tightening I had available. I cut them to 1/2" length and they drop in and cover the openings nicely.

I'm sure others will come up with similar solutions. It seems a rubber phono jack plug, similar to the XLR plugs I found, isn't made.

Nylon_screw.jpg

IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/13 at 00:15:24

Hey there,
Neutrik makes a 1/4 plug, called "NDJ". Same as the XLR ones posted above but for a 1/4 jack. If you wanted a matching set (XLR, 1/4")

They are available at Mouser, just search "NDJ". I can't post a link yet (less than 5 posts)

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/06/13 at 04:31:41

Thegrobe,

Thanks. Here's the link for the "NDJ" 1/4 phone jack:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neutrik/NDJ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtVbdwZCAmSDwEm01VF...

IP Logged
kendoji
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/13 at 16:12:58

Just wanted to thank you folks for the tip - I got the Neutrik XLR and 1/4 inch plugs and they're great.

IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/23/13 at 23:51:17

Kind of old news, but thought I would post a pic of the dummy plugs. Neutrik "NDF" fits the XLR, "NDP" fits the phono (RCA) jacks, "NDJ" fits the 1/4" Jacks.

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/18/13 at 01:51:17

I ordered those black dummies from that place. However, on the 1/4 inch female opening, I'll go you one better. I bought a quarter to eighth inch adapter, in case somebody wanted to use phones that had a 1/8 inch plug.

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Adapters/1-4in-Phone-to-Mini-...

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Robertiii
Verified Member

Promotion

Reply #8 - 03/22/14 at 10:21:56

Nice post - new Taboo III owner; set of Neutrik dummy plugs on the way. Even ordered some extras since they are so cheap.

Cheers/Robertiii

Cheers / Robert
  IP Logged
Chet
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 06/13/15 at 04:56:18

This tip worked very well for me.... Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 05/07/17 at 01:23:49

I bought NDF and NDP plugs from ebay and really enjoy using them, thanks for the tip!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/10/17 at 03:56:06

I use a pair of gold RCA 90 degree adapters in the unused input jacks at the rear.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print