Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 01:59:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3,  sent in for experimental Jupiter cap upgrade (Read 7213 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

ZP3,  sent in for experimental Jupiter cap upgrade
04/14/13 at 19:26:06

After talking with Steve last week, I sent my ZP3 to Decware for an experimental Jupiter cap upgrade, and a mono switch installation.

Even though it's not fully broken in, I'm so pleased with what the cryoed Jupiter HT cap upgrade did to my Zen Signature monoblocks, that I had to try it on my ZP3.  

Like the ZSM's, Steve is going to install the Jupiter caps in the final stage of the signal path.  Going from VCAPS in my ZSM's, to Jupiters (and different resistors) has really improved my second system. Higher resolution and more natural/organic sounding. I could not go back to the VCAPS.  I'm totally enamoured with the Jupiter HT's.

I looking forward to hearing the difference, between the stock caps and the new cryoed Jupiter HT's, in the ZP3.

A few months from now, I'll send my VCAPed Torii III back  also, to switch to the Jupiter's.  I listen to LPs  and a modded Tandberg tuner in my main system, and a modded Philips tuner in my second system (the ZSM's).  I haven't had any experience with digital since I sold my SACD player about 9-10 years ago.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how these high resolution Jupiter's might sound in a digital system?  

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Jhors2
Verified Member

Re: ZP3,  sent in for experimental Jupiter cap upgrade
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 17:46:02

Hey Mike,
Just out of curiosity how many hours did you put on the VCAPs before swapping to the jupiters?  I heard that the break in time can be quite extraneous.

PrimaLuna Premium Integrated | Definitive Technology Mythos ST Supertower | Oppo BDP-105 | Zu Mission Throughout (IC, Mains, Etc) | Blue Circle PLC FX2 | Decware ZP3 (On Order)
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 19:15:51

Hi,  I had a good 5000 hours+ on the VCAPS in my ZSM's, before I switched to the Jupiters.  To MY ears/perceptions, it took 500-600 hours before the Vcaps were sounding consistently good, maybe 800 hours+ before there were no further sound changes.

I had the same experience in my Torii III with Vcaps, 800-900+ before break-in stopped.  That's what I perceived, other's experience may vary.

I'd like to mention, that my ZSM's, have had the stock caps, the Vcaps, and the Jupiters.  For the money, the stock caps sound great!  That being said, the Jupiters are amazing, very detailed and natural sounding at the same time.

Mike

IP Logged
Maritan
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/13 at 16:34:11

Mike,

Did you get the ZP3 back post mod? How do you like it? If I understand correctly, you had two caps replaced - one per channel, right? Would you happen to know the value(s) of the caps used?

Just curious!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/10/13 at 04:26:05

Maritan,  I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Yes, I did receive the ZP3 phono preamp back from Decware, factory modded by replacing the final two caps in the signal path with Jupiter HT Beeswax caps (aluminum foil version).

I have no idea what the value of the two caps are (one for the R channel and one for the left channel).  Steve would be the person to answer this.

Steve definitely put some test time on this modded unit, and I've been using the ZP3 quite a bit, but I'm certain it's not fully broken in yet.  On my Decware ZSM Monoblocks that were factory modded with Jupiter caps earlier this year, it took about 300-350 hours for full break-in.

Do I like the Jupiter's on the ZP3?  I sure do!  I feel it's a big upgrade.  Much more detail coupled with a natural, organic sound.  I look forward to hearing this Jupiter capped ZP3 fully broken in.  It was well worth sending it back to Decware for this upgrade.

Mike

IP Logged
Maritan
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/11/13 at 15:07:34

Thanks, Mike.

It looks like it's something I'll have to call Steve about and talk to him. When I feel there are upgrades to be made, I can't help but get them done. It's an addiction.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print