Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
7DJ8/PCC88 usage (Read 966 times)
V-Duh
Verified Member

7DJ8/PCC88 usage
04/12/13 at 18:36:00

Hello all,
I've noticed a number of people have used 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes in their Torii MKIII, SE84CKC, CSP2+, and other amps with good success.  Is their any reason to not try a 7DJ8/PCC88 in the Taboo MKIII?  My swag is that the circuitry design with respect to tube substitution would not be significantly different.  I am new to tube rolling so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much

Mac Mini + Channel D Pure Music || Audio gd DAC-19 DSP || M.A.D. LR-1 || Decware Taboo MKIII / Meier Audio Analog Corda Opera / Woo Audio WA7 || AKG 702 / Denon AH-D5000 / Grado SR225 / Headphile Black Palm VXD3 / Sennheiser HD600 / Audeze LCD-3 (soon) || BJC ICs
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: 7DJ8/PCC88 usage
Reply #1 - 04/13/13 at 03:07:17

You can try it. Doing so won't harm anything. If it sounds good then go with it.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/13 at 18:27:49

Here is a quote from Kevin at Upscale Audio:

"A PCC88 is a 7-volt filament version of the 6.3-volt filament ECC88.  Aside from the difference in filament voltage, the two tubes are the same.  That means, no problem-o, bitchin’ sound, and less money.  There is never an issue substituting these into any 6DJ8/6922 position."

Quote from Brent Jessee:

"It is virtually identical to the 6DJ8 except for the heater rating, which is 7 volts. ............You may want to try a 7DJ8 for the longer heater life in a 6.3 volt circuit, and the lower price!"

I use them a lot in my Torii and was planning to see what they sound like in the Taboo once mine comes....which is soon!

You could always call Steve if you remain concerned.

From the write-ups and in my experience, it seems that Decware amps are built with a fair bit of tube flexibility. But there are areas that don't wash out. For example, I have had a hard time with distortion with 6N1Ps in my Torii MkIII, and in the end, Steve said that the 6N1P can be borderline in the Torii. This is technically different though, the 6N1P is more about different current draw - 600mah filament as opposed to 300mah.  I am ignorant about the details of what a 7 volt filament will do in the circuit relative to a 6.3, but I like the sound in my Torii. The Taboo is Taboo for a reason though....Steve played around with it outside the tech norm to get the sound he wanted. So it may have its idiosyncrasies too.

Anybody?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
V-Duh
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/13 at 21:32:50

Thank you two for the input.
It was Kevin's recommendations that pointed me in that direction but I wanted to pose the question to those with direct Decware experience.  Calling Steve is difficult due to work and the time zone difference.
If no one thinks the 7DJ8s will harm the amp then they do seem like reasonable options.

Mac Mini + Channel D Pure Music || Audio gd DAC-19 DSP || M.A.D. LR-1 || Decware Taboo MKIII / Meier Audio Analog Corda Opera / Woo Audio WA7 || AKG 702 / Denon AH-D5000 / Grado SR225 / Headphile Black Palm VXD3 / Sennheiser HD600 / Audeze LCD-3 (soon) || BJC ICs
  IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/05/13 at 22:06:45

Hi there, new member...first post. Very much enjoying my taboo mk III.
I'm curious about this as well, any further news on the 7DJ8?

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 08/05/13 at 23:38:13

Hi thegrobe....My 7dj8's have been in my Torii for two years now....same tube, same amp, no problems.

I found he 7dj's sounding so good, I never had any inclination to make a swap. Even though I did have to check to see if it was still in there.

Welcome to the forum, you have a great amp there, I take it you are enjoying it?

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/06/13 at 01:13:54

Thanks for the reply Zygi. I'll grab a 7DJ8 to give it a try.

Yes, enjoying the amp very much. At this point it's strictly a headphone rig w/ an Audio-gd SA1.32 DAC > DH silver cables > mk III > LCD-3 w/ Norse Skuld 8. I haven't rolled any tubes yet but as is the sound is fantastic. Very transparent and natural. I can tell you already this amp is a keeper - not going anywhere!

Ah, the itch is getting at me though...Should I bite the bullet and add a CSP2+ (3+?) I plan on eventually using it for speakers but the pre may be beneficial for the headphone setup in the meantime.

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
toddathan
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/13/13 at 16:24:03

I have the Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in my Taboo mk.III that I got from Upscale Audio, and I love it.  I was a little disappointed in the sound from the stock tubes, but inserting this tube, alone, and leaving the other stock tubes made a huge difference IMO.  Really openened up the sound and brought background details forward without flattening the front to back sound stage.  Just my experience, but it was a positive one.

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/13/14 at 04:36:08

I use the Phillips 7DJ8 from Upscale in my CSP2+ in the input position
only. Great sounding tube. Don't use it as output though. I tried that
and fried a tube. I have a TabooII so can't use it there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print