03/29/24 at 09:15:18 

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 90750 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #1100 - 05/09/14 at 23:55:22

There doesn't seem to be a coherent theory about audio acoustics when it comes to induced vibration so subjective sound seems the best.  However, given so many random variables, I took the approach of isolating from induced vibration entirely. (Other that acoustical vibration from the ambient sound waves directly on the composent.) I built platforms that do not pass vibration from my stand into the components.  My stand vibrates like crazy but the components are totally still.  If anyone is interested they can PM me and I'll email a picture.  I can't get one to post here.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1101 - 05/10/14 at 00:36:01

I know, it didn't happen unless there are pictures.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #1102 - 05/10/14 at 01:13:01

Nice looking chunk of Maple Donnie!       Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1103 - 05/28/14 at 16:51:48

....that is cool Donnie.

Well, I moved an now have a new Listening Room set up...I could not resist the cap gain....an the new digs are just as good!

I am not trying to sell anyone a CSP3, with Jupiter Bee's wax caps and adjustable voltage output, but..............?, I clearly did not need the pre with my SE84CS or Super Zen CKC. I also know some are using the XLR input option an if you have a front end with analog volume you MIGHT be okay... .

However, now with 80+ hours on my CSP3 with Jup Caps'........it takes the Mystery Amp to a whole other level in liquidity an definition. Premium RCA's IC's are a must too.....to obtain the last 5% you may be looking for.

Furthermore, consider, if the ZMA with CSP3 did not match the transparency with gobs of musicality, that my SE84CS with original Svetlana SV83's provides.....it would be sold already. .......the ZMA with CSP3 is my new reference. I use Kimber Silver Streak IC/RCA from DAC to CSP3...an Kimber Select 1030 IC/RCA from Pre to Mystery Amplifier. Obviously, this negates the need for XLR. XLR is only needed for long runs. Premium RCA IC is the best way to go...and is certainly not just my opinion. However, if you can't hear the difference of premium RCA IC....something in your chain IS lacking or you just can't hear to this next level.  

Yeah, I need to upgrade my Signature....my Polk SDA-1's in Stereo an my Anthony Gallo 3.1 Reference Speakers with Kimber 3035 are the new level...Organic realism with gobs of detail un-etched.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1104 - 05/28/14 at 17:02:41

I'm going to be pestering Steve about XLR based preamps.

I also need to follow up with him on the Mini-Decfest which is coming up quickly! I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to confirm everything.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1105 - 05/30/14 at 04:44:45

I set up a ZMA forum (finally).  I would have gotten to it sooner but I've had about  20 hours less per week to get things done because I can't stop listening to this amp on my tape machine...

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=ZMA

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #1106 - 07/14/15 at 08:59:10

I'm looking at getting a new amp in the next six months or so. I've been thinking about the TORII or a couple of Rachels. how much better is the ZMA over these? Might just go for broke and order one of these when I'm ready! I have read a lot about it and it's obviously a very transparent amplier. I really don't want one of these modern etched sounding amps, I'm sure it's not but how fluid sounding is it. Main source is vinyl though plan to get the new Shiit Dac to replace my ageing cd player. Any body use a ZMA through DM946 monitors? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Ian...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #1107 - 07/14/15 at 13:07:21

IanO,  the Mystery Amp was a huge hit and those who have it have raved about it.  I personally have had a Torii MK IV for about two years and am pleased with it's performance.  I also have a pair of Zen Signature Monoblocks at 2.3 WPC that are magical.  But if I were starting from scratch, I'd probably consider the new Torii Junior which with the introductory offer and an additional 10% off for those who order before it's listed on the site, would cost $2245.50 for a 20 WPC Amp.  I would suggest reading the thread given below.  A lot would depend on what speakers you plan to use in the future...if they are 90dB or higher efficiency, you'd be good with 20 WPC.  I own 4 pairs of speakers ranging from 93 to 99dB efficiency and they all work well with the Torii.  The Mystery Amp is $5700 so at $2245 the Torii Junior seems to be the current bargain for highish powered Decware Amps.

Regarding this comment..."I really don't want one of these modern etched sounding amps"  I would be remiss if I did not mention that I have been working to tame the high end of my system since I owned it.  On some recordings, edgy and sharp is how I'd describe it.  I am definitely in the minority with this opinion/problem though. Let us know what you decide.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1429314879/85#85

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1108 - 07/14/15 at 15:23:29

Mark, you know I'm in your camp, I've been working on reducing the etched treble for some time, and the treble cut circuit on these amps is a GODSEND. I think we hear differently, my theory, which the last audiologist I talked to said could be a real thing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1109 - 07/14/15 at 15:50:56

I own the first ZMA - it's very, very consistent. Which IMHO is a wonderful thing. I just set it up and don't worry about it. It's fast and dynamic, but not etched like a modern transistor amp. It just "is" if you get my meaning.

That said, I agree with above - everything Steve says about the Torii Jr sounds amazing! If 20 watts will do for you, that sounds like an amazing option!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1110 - 07/14/15 at 16:48:54

No, you own some sort of proto-type. I own the first ZMA @ 0001.

Heck, yours does not even have the three nice knobs (Bias balance - volume - Bias balance) that Steve shipped with mine.

SO there!    ;D Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1111 - 07/14/15 at 20:51:38

You have knobs on your bias balance posts? Damn, I feel jipped.

Wait, now that I have a wood lathe, I should just turn my own knobs!

~Eric~

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1112 - 07/15/15 at 15:06:39

OOps!  Mine being 0001, yes I have knobs on my bias balance posts.  I bet I was not supposed to let that info out (heehehehe).  ::) Roll Eyes Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1113 - 07/15/15 at 15:10:00

Now in all seriousness, it arrived like that and I thought everyone got them on their ZMA? Then, I started seeing a few pic's of other fellow ZMA's......and none have them on the bias balance pegs.

I'm Special.  ::) Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1114 - 07/15/15 at 15:23:58

Another thing I noticed: My ZMA has the Red Mallory Caps of course, but I have the white on top, as in the first pick Steve revealed of the whole ZMA, in this ZMA thread, for reply #64. I've noticed, others that made the cut for the Red Mallory's have Red on Top? I prefer the white, as in reply/post from Steve #64 with it matching the white balance/bias meters.

You will also notice in reply#64 of this thread; the blue LED's in the Meter's (or whatever type they are). I wish that was an Option. I think Steve ditched that I idea, = to much of a pain in the arse to put in.
I remember the very first 2005 Torri had lights (of red an green) in the cut of Decware in the Chassis, that was cool.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #1115 - 07/15/15 at 15:56:34

IANO, back to your OP.....did not mean to hijack the thread with my joking/rambling.

If you don't need the Power, the new Torii Junior is the way to go IMO.

However, I'm addicted to the Power of the ZMA, when I want and need to go there! It's ability to stomp Sand Amps.....I just enjoy my goose bumps and adrenaline rush when I'm in the upper SPL's with her!

I would own a Pass Labs XA-30.8 class-A stereo power amp if a Sand Amp could beat my ZMA / IMHO. I could pick the phone up and call Mark at Reno HI-FI right now and order the Demo one available (DEMO/New with full 3 year warranty). Don't get me wrong, PASS Amps are awesome. I prefer my ZMA!

Plus, signature change....I have a pair of Ediswan's on deck for Input for ZMA........... .

I bet it (T-Jr.) is going to surprise the heck out of me/you in the Power department though.
I will own one some time in 2016! At the current price, get in the Build Que now. It will probably take 3 months to get one, once he puts it on the Website. This will be an Signature affordable AMP from Steve that I will surely own too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #1116 - 07/16/15 at 00:16:34

Thanks for all the input. The TORII jnr sounds really interesting and a great price. I can't really spring for it at the moment, unfortunately will have to wait until the new year when I move! I'll just have to except the 12 week wait!! Hopefully going to get a ZPS3 as well which will sound killer through my DM946 speakers. I really can't wait...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #1117 - 07/16/15 at 20:22:23

Just keep in mind on the Jr, this is an introductory price. The ZMA (as a bad example) has gone up something like $1000 since release. I doubt the Jr would go up that much, but I would expect it to go up a few hundred at least. Plus there is a 10% off discount right now.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #1118 - 07/17/15 at 01:08:15

Torii Jr...retail $2795...introductory $2495...with 10% off, $2245.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print