OK, here's my current audio system as it sits right now:

Amplifier: Zen Triode

Speakers: Tang Band D3-1 Back Loaded Horn Speakers, Full Range

CD Player: Decware CD 200

Tuner: Sangean HDT 1-X HD Tuner

Interconnects: Solid silver home brew

Speaker cables: Solid silver, 20 conductor strapping

AC Cables: Stock NAIM, IEC

I have very limited space, so I opted to put it all on one console table...

Sound:  Forward, precise, but natural...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: My Zen System:
Reply #1 - 03/30/13 at 19:37:25

VERY NICE !!!

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/13 at 23:28:36

Wow, those speakers look really cool!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 00:37:18

Looks great! I wish I had a place that looked that bright and uncluttered!  ;)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 03/31/13 at 03:43:34

Sometimes "less is more". A "simple" system like yours, is capable of a very refined and revealing presentation.
Knowing how well a Zen pairs with single driver speakers, you just know the music is all there.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 00:52:03

Yes, well said... Less is definitely more in this sytem...

For those wondering what is lurking inside those speaker boxes:

...about 9 ft. of folded horn...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 02:30:18

You may wish to consider isolating the amp and CD player from the speakers. If they are thumping it might affect the player and the amp to a smaller degree. Why wouldn't you put the speakers on small stands?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 02:32:01

Speakers look cool! Don't ou have vibration issues with them mounted on the same shelf as the amp though?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 03:12:28

Hello... Actually, no... The amp is very stable, and it isolates very well from vibration... Also, there seems to be no problem from airborne sound either...

I don't know if you recall Steve's design for a back-loaded horn speaker, where you can get the power amps installed right in the cabinets...

There was also a paper-- I'd have to find it-- where Lukasz Fikus (Lampizator) mounts a CD player directly on top of a speaker... The idea was that any vibration that contaminated the CD player would be sympathetic to the music presentation...

This might be a little over the top, but does make a point, and that is that mechanical and acoustical vibrations don't always degrade the sound...

At any rate, no, the sound does not appear to be compromised... (m.)

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 03:19:39

@ Rivieraranch:  I've thought about making some stands, but not for isolation... More for some leeway in placement in my room...

But I would assume that that would put to rest any issues with isolation as well...

I've run the speakers wide open, and don't seem to have any isolation problems to date...   (m.)

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/19/13 at 01:49:07

Your speakers are beautiful!  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print