Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:26:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i.2+ (Read 31450 times)
dias
Verified Member

"potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i.2+
03/29/13 at 18:10:11

Hello, all. I'm the proud owner of an SE 34i.2+.  I'm flirting with the idea of trying out some NOS Cetron 5R4GWB rectifiers.  Wondering if anyone else here has tried these in this amp and wants to share their impressions.

Cheers!

System = Thorens 160/Goldring 1012GX/Rega Fono; SB Duet/Lavry DA 11; SE 34i.2+; Blumenstein Audio Floorstanders

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: "potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i.2+
Reply #1 - 01/23/14 at 01:59:42

Dias,

Sorry I missed this thread, and you have probably long forgotten it. I use Chatham labelled 5R4WGYs in my Torri MKIV (and in my MkIII) regularly.  Not knowing the rectifier you use, I can't compare, but this tube has a very solid sound that is extended, neutral and open with just a touch of warmth. I really like them as a choice. My other most used rectifiers are 50's RCA 5U4G-STs with different plates and getters offering pretty nice variation within the theme.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/14 at 04:38:08

Howdy, Will.

Many thanks for the response.  

I have been using RCA 5U4Gs (straight bottle) with great success.  They were noticeably better than the Sovteks that preceded them.  Smoother and warmer, yet no apparent loss of detail.

Very recently, however, I subbed in some 1940s RCA 5R4GYs (dark brown base, double bottom getters).  I'm still forming impressions, but so far am very impressed and think I may be all done thinking about rectifiers!  Other tubes are 6n1P-ev drivers and cryod JJ 6CA7 outputs.

System:  Mac running Amarra; ifi usb purifier; Lavry DA 11; Thorens 160 with Goldring 1012GX; Lounge Audio LCR phono stage; custom preamp with 7788 tubes and parafeed transformer coupled outputs; Decware SE 34I.2+; Blumenstein Orcas with dual subs

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: "potato masher" rectifiers in the SE 34i
Reply #3 - 01/23/14 at 05:01:22

Hey Dias,

Sounds like you found some nice tubes. I have some RCA 5R4GYs, medium/dark brown base, single rectangle bottom getter, that I think are early 50s. They are nice tubes, leaner than the Chathams, slightly off balance with a very open midrange and a big mid-bass. I have a number of tubes like this, but tend to personally prefer a more neutral rectifier though it depends on the other tubes. Your earlier RCA's may have a different signature than mine, but with 6N1ps and JJ6CA7, I can imagine that mine would sound very, very nice in your 34.

I had a long affair with 5U4G straight bottles and really did enjoy that. I imagine I might head that way again one day. I really like the very open and textured midrange and deep bass many have. Congrats on finding a great rectifier for your setup!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/14 at 00:18:01

I believe the straight bottle RCA 5U4Gs are a tremendous value. They can be found relatively cheap, and are just so darned musical.  So far these 1940s 5R4GYs are really impressing me, but I need to log in some more listening time to make my final concusions.  I know I could easily live with the straight bottle RCA 5U4Gs if I had to do so.

All of this really goes to show how incredibly resolving the Decware amp is - in my experience every change in the system (be it driver, rectifier or power tubes, the ifi purifier I just added, better isolation between my digital and analog components, etc) is clearly and audibly appreciated.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/14 at 16:38:29

I have found this to be the case too. Everything really matters with Decware gear assuming there are not one or more weak links that degrades the whole. For me this level of resolution and musicality is really important, as I have a lot of fun...listening carefully....refining the system/room....and getting totally captivated by the music. Sort of three very enjoyable aspects to explore at once....It sounds like you like these too. For me this would not happen if the sound were not so resolving, but as importantly, so natural and engulfing. I am really grateful for the Decware crew's dedication to this!

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6 - 02/12/15 at 16:59:51

Is there really a big difference between RCA 5U4G and RCA 5U4GB?

I have found a pair of 1940's RCA 5U4G's for 300$... that seems way too much... or not?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/12/15 at 22:22:56

Luis,

There is a big difference in some ways, depending on how deeply you are looking. I think you are referring to 5U4G-STs (coke bottle shape), and the GBs are straight bottle, right. Also both come in different vintages with different construction. 300 is a lot in my book for STs. I wonder if this is a nice 40's pair, which is a really nice tube, but 50s are good too. If you look on Ebay, you can usually find a nice NOS or near NOS matched pair "buy it now" for 70-100 delivered. And if you look carefully at construction, you can find RCA made rectifiers with different company labels, and these are almost always cheaper. I have a pair of Raytheon labeled Sts that look exactly like some RCAs and were brand new for 55. This was an extra good buy, but they are there if you take some time.

If you go shopping be sure they are at the top of the test range, matched, and have exactly the same construction...the same getters, plates, bottle shape, space from top micas to glass top etc... this is usually the case anyway, but some sellers will have electronically matched pairs that are not quite the same construction.

Generally, GBs are bigger and deeper low down and generally with a relatively sweet, open richness in the mids, with nice open highs. They also tend to have a more "powerful" vibe by a touch...a bit more push. I have seen and heard three basic types of RCAs, short bottle, tall bottle, and extra tall bottle , the extra tall with the inner construction just like STs. The later was my favorite for solid, open, detailed and extended sound with less color. For more richness and warmth, a couple of Raytheons I had of different construction were favorites. One was 50s and the other 40s with a strange stepped shaped base. Both were really nice for warmth without detail sacrifice. It seems that earlier is often better, but I had some great sounding tall bottle Sylvanias from the 60s too...I would not get GBs if you have bass issues in your system/room and no way to tune the bass.

I personally went back to STs after my affair with GBs finding them solid, but generally more neutral and smooth, and having nice, delicate inner detail...also with really good extension, but generally not as bass heavy as GBs.

That said, they both vary within these generalities. The RCA-STs with the the wires running between the plates from the bottom through the top mica, those are I think 40s, and they will generally be more delicate and revealing with a bit less bass than the later 50s tubes with thick plates and no wires between the plates. And the 50s tubes vary also, some denser and darker and other more delicate.

Hope this helps some. What you are replacing, what you would like to get for sound change based on your current sound, and if you setup tends to muddle or being too bright, these would weigh into what would be best for your setting. There are other interesting rectifiers too that have specific advantages depending on need like 5Y3GTs, 5R4GYs, and 5V4Gs...all in a similar sound range, but each type tending to do it differently.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/12/15 at 23:24:05

Luis,  Will has said it all much better than I could...as usual.  I can't remember specifics but  I think I tried a set of the tall bottle RCA 5U4GBs and ended up using 50's RCA 5U4Gs.  More recently, I got a pair of 1943 Ken Rad 5U4Gs included with my purchase of a pair of Zen Signature Monoblocks.  I immediately replaced the RCAs in my Torii with these WW II tubes and to be honest,  I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference...both are very nice.  The RCA 5U4Gs are in the monoblocks now.

Regarding price...$300 is insane.  Just buy some good testing 50's RCA 5U4Gs or relabeled ones...just make sure they have the 274 RCA manufacture's code on the black base and examine the pics for construction.  When I read your post earlier today I went to ebay and found this auction.  Sorry but I decided I needed another back up pair.  I paid $30 for this high testing pair with free shipping...one labeled Emerson. Deals are out there everyday.  Set up email notification for what you want and go from there.  Mark.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-RCA-Black-Plate-Top-Getter-5U4G-5U4-G-Vacuum-Tubes-V...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/12/15 at 23:26:09

Howdy, Luis,

Here are my random thoughts on the subject:

(1) $300/pair is way too much to spend on those rectifiers
(2) RCA 5U4G (straight and ST type) are great in the 34i.2
(3) Picking up on Will's suggestion, I'd recommend spending your money on getting one fine pair of each of the following:  5U4G, 5R4GY, 5Y3, 274B (but make sure it is a type that is OK in this circuit)
(4)Having on hand a variety of different rectifier types will, given the different voltage drops, probably yield far more interesting results than comparing different brands or eras of the same type
(5) I'm currently using, and loving, a pair of 1940s RCA 5R4GY (the kind with the double bottom getters)
(6) I really dig my SE 34i.2+, but my system took a huge leap forward when I added an active preamp.

Cheers,
Blake

Thorens 160, Goldring 1012GX, Lounge Audio LCR Phono; Mac w/ Amarra, Lavry DA 11; custom preamp with 7788 tubes and parafeed transformer coupled outputs; Decware SE 34i.2+; Blumenstein Orcas and active subwoofers

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #10 - 02/13/15 at 17:14:30

Thank you all for your help!

I agree with you, that is an insane price, I will take all your advices and keep looking, I already have a pair of mint (and cheap) RCA 5U4GB in mind...

I have a really nice RCA 5Y3GT in my CSP2+ which I love, that was the reason I got a pair of them for the SE 34i.2+, I think they were also really nice but after a little less than a year one of them started to arc so that made me decided to give another try to the 5U4s.

Thanks!!

Luis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/13/15 at 18:12:45

Luis,

The 5U4G-ST compared to the 5Y3GT will be more dynamic with deeper bass. The 5U4GB will likely have even more push and bass than the ST. The 5R4GY dias is talking about, the dual D getter RCA, will have similar range as the ST, but with more open clarity and definition..so it will feel more powerful, detailed and articulate than the ST. I personally did not like the short bottle RCA 5U4GB I had...too dense and dark for me. There were many others I liked better with more neutrality, including the extra tall bottle RCA I spoke of.

Some things to consider coming from liking the 5Y3...

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #12 - 02/13/15 at 18:26:16

Will, thanks a lot for the extra info, this is good to know! It is really easy for me to get lost among countless types, brands, years... of tubes, I wish I could do a proper tube rolling.

Luis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/13/15 at 18:40:17

Yes it gets complicated there are so many choices. And as dias said, the ideal would be to be able to try several types, since the sound and whether we like it or not is all so relative to everything else in the system and room, and tastes. But barring direct comparison, I think the differences between tube types are somewhat explainable. It is tricky though, since synergy is the thing. Aside from tastes, a tube most like could be off in some systems and rooms, so I feel the confusion...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/13/15 at 22:46:23

OK, yesterday I bought another pair of 50's RCA 5U4Gs.  I just bought a 1946 pair of RCA 5R4GY Black Plates with the double D getters for $53.50 and free shipping.  Not sure if this is a great deal.  Maybe Dias who said he was using these could comment.  I'll be trying them in my Torii MK IV first or maybe the Zen Signature Monoblocks...mmm.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121565457092

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 02/14/15 at 00:13:02

That's a sweet deal on those rectifiers, Mark.  Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #16 - 02/14/15 at 07:23:34

All right! That looks great Mark!

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #17 - 02/14/15 at 07:52:36

What would you think about a RCA 5R4GY Brown Base 1950's (smooth black plates, square gettersand support rods)? I´ve found these in Europe (I live in Spain and I rather buy from Europe as I sometimes have to pay extra € when packets reach the customs...)

I also found a nice matched pair of RCA 5U4GB 1976 USA (Black Ribbed Plates Side Top Halo Getter)

Luis

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/14/15 at 10:33:33

A pair of the smooth plate RCA will stand you well Luis.
I`ve been using them for months in CSP and ZP3 without thinking of a change.

Just recently, due to this thread, I`ve had all my old ones out.
Now I have a single getter RCA 5R4GY in ZP3 and the trusty old
40`s GE 5U4G in the CSP. This so far is close to the x2 RCA`s sound
and I`m giving them an extended run. Who knows they may grow on me.

Out went the Mullard GZ34 & Philips 5Y3GT combo. Just too constricted and I had to strain sometimes to follow bass lines.

Yes the RCA x2 getters are good all rounders and in good supply.

After I broke a Philips 5R4GY in a Rachael I splashed out and bought a pair of 5R4GY Brimar x2 round getters to go in my Rachaels. CV 717. Dont come up very often, not that I look for them.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/14/15 at 15:47:39

For anyone who wants a 1949 RCA 5R4GY with hanging filaments and a single bottom getter, the below auction has a nice one. Until I get my pair and decide I like them, I won't be buying more. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-5R4GY-VACUUM-TUBE-RECTIFIER-5R4-GY-FILAMENT-HANGERS-...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/14/15 at 18:02:18

The RCA 5R4s are very open and clear by comparison. If this is what you need, they are great tubes. I couldn't use them at all in my MKIII except with very warm tubes and then it bordered on the dreaded sterile. It works well in my MKIV which is a bit more warm and textured by nature, but so far they don't stay in there long...perhaps too much of a good thing. But I use 7DJ8/PCC88s that tend to be open and spacious as well. And my whole system is tuned to be highly resolving. I do use one in my CSP3, but in this case, I am using E188CCs that are a bit warm, extended,  and big so the open rectifier is really good.

With room and system variability, it is hard to say a tube is good or bad. A very good quality tube can be beneficial or not depending on where it is and what it is with.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/14/15 at 18:33:50

Will, so true.  After reading a bunch about tubes, I'm starting to think that the Hot treble I'm experiencing with some recordings with My Torii MK IV is due in large part to the Seimens/RFT EL-34s I have in there.  I really like the sound of the EL-34 except for this so I hope the resistors on the HR-1s will do the trick...Quads of output tubes are so expensive and I've already bought two spare Quads of the RFTs.  I've been meaning to give the Tong Sol KT-66s another try...maybe soon.  Will, remind me, what power tubes are you running?  Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/14/15 at 19:16:39

Hey Mark,

I get your interest in the Siemens/RFTs. They are really seductive in the MKIV...it has been a while since I tried them, but to me that lush midrange was overwhelmed by what you say...seductive, but hot upper mids up. But for me, the EL34 bass, I am just kind of over it...After getting into KT66s, I am pretty stuck on that open lucidity and clean sense of balance across the spectrum. I have tried Tungsols, Valve Arts, and Genalex. They all have interesting traits, but I think the Tungsols would be my least favorite. They have a little darkish veil that could be thought of as warm, but I find them a little rigid and cool. The Genalex are my favs. They have a big atmospheric sound but are nicely open and textured (at least for a KT66). The Valve Arts are sort of in-between for me...I use them and like them. They are open and clean, with good sparkle, very nice balance...transparent I guess. But the Genalex have a certain seductive thing to them, that bigness with sparkle and a little warmth. Mine are Cryo'd.

I wonder if it would be hard after getting used to the RFTs though to change. Might take some time and perhaps getting some nice PCC88s in the mix to pull some open texture....

I also use OB3 which makes a difference in how everything sounds.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/14/15 at 20:14:22

OK Will,  I'll bite...what PCC88s have you used and liked?  These are the seven volt...7DJ8s, Right?  I am more willing to try multiple input tubes but rolling power tubes is  a more expensive journey than I'm probably willing to take. But I am looking into Russian 6L6s that are cheap, to check out that tube type.  Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/15/15 at 01:34:08

I don't know Mark. I just looked and it seems PCC88s are not around much now and generally a bit expensive. They change if you keep and eye on them. That said, these look like a good deal. If I am not mistaken, these are amperex made from the 60s. I can't tell for sure with these pictures, but this looks like the tube I use these days...warm without being dark for the type and quite musical. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVOLA-PCC-88-PHILIPS-MINIWATT-MATCHED-PAIR-TOLLERANZA-...

Also, for more money, this is a classic. Very big, open and extended...sometimes too much for me, but undoubtedly a very high quality tube. The wire looking getter riser and getter is the tell on these for earlier tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Siemens-PCC88-AVO-tested-tubes-NOS-NIB-/11148863...

And finally, I have enjoyed these tubes a lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Zaerix-PCC88-7DJ8-tubes-Matched-Pair-Brand-new-in-bo...

Atmospheric and open, fresh, extended. I think they are Russian made. Sort of closer to a 6922 types for 7DJ8, but definitely have the PCC88 thing going on. I would get the big letter ones, the small letter ones are a little cheaper, but if they are like mine, the big letter tubes were notably better.

It has been a while but I put in some early 80s Russian 6P3S-E sort of in-between the EL34s and KT66s. You may like them. Compared to Kt66s they are rich and pretty wet and warm, slower, but with clear mids, especially considering how wet and warm they are. The softish bass similar to EL34s. The softer sound is nice. With my current tube set, they are rich without any dark muddle, open though sweet, and have a sort of mysterious, enchanting quality. I am not hearing that hot top like the RFTs. But again, you may miss that clarity.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #25 - 02/15/15 at 17:51:34

I understand nobody had any issues in the SE 34i.2+ because of the difference in the reservoir capacitor between the 5U4s and 5R4GYs, right? I thought there wasn´t any problem...I should quit reading so much staff in the web... Embarrassed

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 02/15/15 at 18:03:54

I haven't used one yet but many others here have used them in Decware Gear with no reported problems...Most Amps, Pre Amps and ZP3.  I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced any problems with the 5R4GY tube. Mark.

IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 02/15/15 at 18:37:40

Not aware of any reported issues/problems with the 5R4GY.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #28 - 02/15/15 at 19:00:42

Good to know, thanks!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/15/15 at 20:35:00

I think this comes up now and then. I recall reading that Steve makes his amps tolerant of many different Rectifiers, was it a side effect of overbuilding the transformers and power supply being such a big part of the Decware sound???? I used a number of recs in my SE 34i.2+ and more in my Torii, though that is just because I got deeper into exploration as time went on. So I have used 5R4s in the Torii and CSP3, but not the SE34, which is long gone. The only tube I have heard of issues with are old school 274Bs, though most have no problems with the Valve Arts, which I think I recall Steve saying he thought was basically a 5U4G.

But as always, if you can't get a decisive enough answer here to solve concerns, though it can take a little time, email Steve and ask him.

Below is an interesting Rec comparison.

http://www.300guitars.com/articles/rectifier-tube-voltage-drop-chart/

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 02/17/15 at 18:03:27

Checking USPS tracking, while I wait at work, I see that both pairs of rectifiers I bought on ebay will arrive today.  I think I'll start with the 1946 RCA 5R4GY Double getters in the Monoblocks then put the newly acquired pair of 50's RCA 5U4Gs in the Monos when I'm done.  I'm reluctant to mess with the Listening Cave system any more since it's been sounding so good with the three different tubes I put in the CSP3 last week...maybe I'll try a 5R4GY in the CSP3.  Very reluctant to mess with the Torii though, where I have RFT EL-34s and Amperex 7308s that both lean toward being bright as I understand the 5R4GYs do too.  Mark.

IP Logged
dias
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 02/17/15 at 18:27:28

Exciting stuff.  Looking forward to your impressions.

Cheers,
Blake

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 02/17/15 at 22:44:45

I find the Amperex 7308s amazingly musical and beautifully extended, somehow leaving out some of the 6922 tendency to hardness. But the tube type can be hard anyway.

It is funny. I put in my RCA 5R4GYs in the Torii this AM, with Genalex KT66, Phillip Miniwatt PCC88s, 40s OB3s, and British 75C1s. I would call the set on the open/revealing side of warm, and half expected the RCAs to hurt a little. But they sounded really nice. Open and clean, but also musical and with great bass extension. They did good things, with relative balance. But putting back in my now fav Mazda GZ32s ...wow. The tonal density and speed came up with no sacrifice to any other qualities. Less delicacy, but not a problem. I think I could have left the RCAs in had I not been into the Mazdas.

Seems at times the combined effects of tubes can be a little harder to gauge.

Good thing it is so easy to change out tubes!

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #33 - 02/21/15 at 06:48:44

The RCA 5R4GYs arrived yesterday and they are already on. Let´s see how they go with some more time, but so far so good! Luis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/21/15 at 16:09:47

Great news Luis.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #35 - 02/27/15 at 17:17:15

One week already with them on and I must say I really like them so far, they are still breaking but I see what they got. Thank you all for your great advices, I´m learning a lot in this forum. Luis

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #36 - 04/17/15 at 23:35:26

Finally I ended up finding out what Will already said, the RCA 5R4GYs are really good tubes, but there have too much highs, at least with some songs.
I am now using a pair of Tung-Sol 5U4GB 1960´s and I think I got a winner! Luis

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #37 - 04/19/15 at 14:51:24

This is my last overall tube set...

SE34I.2
Tung-Sol 5U4GB 1960´s x2
Genalex Gold Lion KT-77 new x2
Voskhod rocket logo 6n23p x2

CSP2+
RCA JAN 5Y3-GT 1957 x1