Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

HDMI cables
03/23/13 at 17:13:58

Now there may be those who think that all HDMI cables sound and look alike, and I won't start arguing with them, we all view and hear things subjectively. I have noticed a difference between them in video image however, and have done some experimenting. I find it very intriguing when you can SEE visible differences, a bit more "solid" an impression than "hearing" wherein there are more factors possibly involved and I find people tend to "hear" things a bit more differently than they "see" them.

Anyway, for some time I was using Audioquest "G" HDMI cable, silver clad copper in a robust build, in use between either my TV and DVR or TV and Blu-ray player. A really good cable that I got in 2 meter length for about 45 dollars or so discounted from Audio Advisor. Then I bought the PWT and PWD combo from PS Audio which uses an HDMI cable to transfer I2S info (without conversion, not the same as the standard HDMI process) between the two units, and my package deal included a half meter all silver HDMI cable from PS Audio and when broken in that cable yielded excellent audio, better than any other I had tried. I then ordered a one meter matching cable when they were discontinued and discounted heavily, and found that yielded the best picture I'd ever seen on my television. I was quite happy.

Then an audio friend advised me that he loved the Mapleshade Vivilink HDMI cable and the price was only 125, I could return it if I didn't like it, and I decided to try one. Took about 50 hours to settle in but the picture was stunning, as good as the PS Audio at half the discounted price. I knew that eventually I would try the Mapleshade between the PWT and PWD, and I did last night and have to confess: I was shocked that it bested the PS Audio in audio quality. Just a bit more clarity, depth and dynamics from source material. I went back to the PS Audio cable for a bit and wanted to put the Mapleshade back in!

So I've ordered another Mapleshade Vivilink, this time the "Plus" cryo'd version. Looking forward to having it in the system.

I'd recommend anyone interested in trying a different HDMI cable to try one.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VIVILINK2M

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VIVILINK2MP

Anyone else experimented with HDMI cables and have a story to tell?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: HDMI cables
Reply #1 - 03/23/13 at 18:31:23

Excellent Lon. Much appreciated. Will have to give this a try. It's about time to get my Panny screen calibrated [talk about a difference!], and this would be good to have in place before hand.

Lon, is the Plus the thermal/chemical treatment they mention on the site? There is some ambiguity on this as one reads the descriptions.

Love that they are flatter. The big fat HDMI cables are very irritating.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/23/13 at 18:37:01

I use a 2' blue jeans HDMI cable between my PWT and PWD MKII. I have been hesitant to try more expensive cables. Let us know how the plus version goes.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 03/23/13 at 19:46:01

I'm completely wired in Mapleshade myself. USB, interconnects and speaker cables. And I am the original skeptic about all of the hocus pocus in cabling. Strange how listening instead of thinking about the science changes your mind.
Pale, I'm still on the fence about getting my Somy-Goldstar TV combo calibrated. The 19" screen already looks pretty good running all of  those VHS recordings of WKRP in Cincinnati that I have. Johnny Fever rocks!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/13 at 20:07:00

LOL! You slay me Donnie! Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/23/13 at 21:09:28

busterfree wrote on 03/23/13 at 18:37:01:
I use a 2' blue jeans HDMI cable between my PWT and PWD MKII. I have been hesitant to try more expensive cables. Let us know how the plus version goes.

Sure, I'll comment when I have them and they're broken in.

Greg, yes, it's hard to tell exactly what they mean by "Plus". . . I always thought it was just cryo treatment, but in a review of one of their speaker cables I found this info, probably from Mapleshade themselves:

Plus versions undergo a special cryogenic treatment and are afterwards exposed to high-energy electromagnetic fields to enhance the musical qualities of the dielectrics and the copper/silver conductors.

For what that's worth. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/23/13 at 21:18:39

Thanks Lon. I notice they also refer to chemical treatments. I wrote them and asked a few questions. They have some nice-looking digital interconnects as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/26/13 at 04:32:08

I overspoke a bit on the Mapleshade HDMI as an I2S link between PWT and PWD Mk II.

It's very good, but a different perspective than the PS Audio silver HDMI, not necessarily a better one. With some tubes I prefer one over the other.

IP Logged
Rcrfq
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/05/17 at 21:56:48

Newly I bought two HDMI cable from here. I would like to share my experience with HDMI cables experimental story, maybe tomorrow or after tomorrow.
Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print