Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:37:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Torii MK 3 power output vs Impedance Load? (Read 10522 times)
Thinh Le
Verified Member

Zen Torii MK 3 power output vs Impedance Load?
03/18/13 at 18:26:04

Does the Torii Mk 3 output more power into a higher impedance load? If yes, how much more let say between 4 ohms, 8 ohms vs 16 ohms? How is the power output of the amps vs impedance load? I couldn't find any of these information in the manual. Thanks!

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Re: Zen Torii MK 3 power output vs Impedance Load?
Reply #1 - 03/20/13 at 02:03:16

"more power into a higher impedance load".  I've only seen this discussed with respect to frequency response and the load of a single driver without a crossover. In that case, as frequency goes up, so impedance tends to also.  So the Torii puts more power into higher frequencies. This is the reason for the treble cut feature on the Torii.  

If I remember this correctly, Steve told me at Decfest that this happens because the EL-34 is a pentode.  A triode doesn't tip-up like this, so...
EDIT:" I conclude a zen se84 doesn't need a treble cut... even on a single driver speaker."  turns out the el-84 is also a pentode, so this conclusion doesn't hold water.  maybe it's about whether the pentode is wired as a pentode or triode.  I'm out of my knowledge zone here... so this part... is worth what you paid for it.   Smiley . END EDIT.

See Steve Deckert's post:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1341967748/6#6

Don't know what this means if you're talking about putting 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers.  From electronics, best power transfer is when you have impedance match between your output (transformers) and load (speakers).  And the torii has switches for 4 and 8. (that is in the docs).

as far as I know, the "more power into higher load" is about frequency balance after you already matched your, say, favorites 8 ohm speakers to your torii.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #2 - 03/20/13 at 10:04:24

Need Steve to confirm this but the following general rule applies to amps.

For SS amps, output power increases as speaker impedance decreases.

For tube amps, it is reversed so output power increases as speaker impedance increases.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/13 at 06:38:51

Found this paper that talks about it.... the pentode impedance thing.

https://www.decware.com/paper16.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print