Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:46:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Torii MK III at nine months... (Read 1024 times)
Douger
Verified Member

My Torii MK III at nine months...
03/12/13 at 01:01:22

This amp just administers my music with the splendor that has been promised! It has been good since I picked it up, and has been getting better steadily. Three days ago I played Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around and got much more depth than before, and everything is very smooth and open every time.
Decware really rocks, thanks Steve, Devon and Sarah, and all technicians!

IP Logged
golanaluna
Verified Member

Re: My Torii MK III at nine months...
Reply #1 - 07/08/13 at 14:09:00

Ditto!

Decware CSP2+ (#202)
Decware Mini-Torii SE (#56)
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/12/13 at 20:43:52

On the build waiting list for the Torii MK3, still a long way to go, and I'm jealous.  Happy for you.  If you had to single out one attribute of this amp that you like the most what is it?

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 08/06/13 at 17:17:51

I'm about 7 months into my Torii Mk3... but only recently has it been hitched up to the speakers I always intended it to be paired with... Audio Nirvana cast frame 12" Alnico's in a 5.6 cu.ft. box... and the results are exceeding my expectations... clearly the best sound I've ever had in my rig.. and competes with the best I've ever heard anywhere at any price.
The Torii sounded good with other speakers, but there is something very special going on between the Torii and the high-efficiency, crossoverless variety of speakers.  I have hitched very good sounding solid state amps to the Audio Nirvana's (several different ss amps actually), and they sound thin, etched and veiled compared to the Torii.  Even though the solid state amps excel on other more conventional speakers.  Other tube amps do better on the AN's than any of the SS amps I've tried, but the Torii will make you just get lost in the music and puts you "in the room" with the performers.  I have never heard a piano or stand up bass sound so "real" via a stereo system... never.  The improvement is profound, stunning actually.
If you have high-efficiency, single full-range driver, crossoverless type of speakers - GET IN THE TORII QUEUE - ASAP.. you have not yet heard your speakers until you hear them with a Torii providing the watts......

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/13 at 21:02:42

JSM71,please forgive me for taking so long... Sometimes I post and forget it! I would have to say that detail and definition are what grab me the most. My Tannoy  Canterbury SE's load my room pretty perfectly and do a very listenable job at very low volume. The Mark III is very clear and natural and does carry me away.
I trust you are experiencing the same by now!

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/29/14 at 17:57:09

Confession time... In 2012 I started thinking, what happens if our tubes become prohibitively expensive or unavailable... I ordered an Odessey Stratos (SS) as a backup. Word was that it would be biased as tube-like as possible but would sound terrible for first 6 months, and did. After a year it sounds okay, and meanwhile I lost my right channel in the Torii.  I ordered new tubes but procrastinated putting them in.  Finally my audio buddy said the Stratos isn't bad, but the tubes are better, so I finally put them in...
With new tubes there is no contest! The Torii stomps everything else I own... 300B's, KT88's and the Stratos...
Just need to keep the tubes in stock and pray for normal pricing! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/29/14 at 18:24:27

I think we're in good shape tubewise for some time to come especially since the Torii and other Decware amps all sound great with new production, non-vintage tubes, which are likely to be around our lifetimes.

Also I begin to suspect that cryo'd tubes last longer (seems my personal experience the last three years or more) so purchasing those is conserving the supply as well.

They are amazing amps aren't they? I've heard some solid state stuff the last few years and have a chip amp that sounds pretty good as a backup amp (or more realisticaly backup backup!) and I can enjoy a lot of music with those amps. . . but the Decware amps are like "home."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/16/14 at 03:25:15

Lon that's good to hear, I just had to purchase My first second set of power tubes for the Torii MK3, and they were inexpensive, jj e34l and quad matched.

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/15/15 at 16:23:02

I have been too busy listening to post...  Earlier in 2014 I got replacement boards for my Njoe Tjoeb 4000 cd player and stopped using my Emotiva ERC-2. With the Aha! back in great form I bypassed my preamp and am enjoying the best cd reproduction I've ever had in my system! This Torii MKIII is truly the best, and I have received validation of this from some folks with amazingly expensive systems, very good, not at all disappointing.

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 11/01/15 at 23:41:59

A few months ago I added vibration control under the amp
and it became evident I could use more power...(my Tannoys sound great but they respond well to more power Smiley   Steve suggested that I put in KT66 tubes and it's great!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print