Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:47:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coupling height for Radial 1.5s (Read 7655 times)
roncagg
Verified Member

Coupling height for Radial 1.5s
02/16/13 at 22:01:16

I bought the Radial 1.5 used and it did not come with the spikes. So I have 2 questions: 1. has anyone experimented with different mechanisms (vibrapods, 3rd party spikes, etc.) to good effect? and 2. what heights above the floor work the best ?

I've read there were fixed heights the spikes could be adjusted to, suggesting there is an ideal range for the design - does anyone know what the range of heights the original spikes allows is?

I've tried many heights with various isolators (vibrapods, tinkertoy disks(!), small spikes I had around, etc.) and don't notice much difference in bass response though it always sounds tighter when I'm standing rather than seated. And an oriental rug definitely sounds better under them than does a hardwood floor.

Just wanted your experiences in dialing in the bass for this excellent speaker.

Thanks,
Ron

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Coupling height for Radial 1.5s
Reply #1 - 02/17/13 at 00:32:50

Hi Ron,

I had the RL1 and RL2 and ERR And HR-1, and I've never used the spikes which came with a few of them. I think the range of travel is about 3/4" or so. I've used brass cones, Herbie's "gliders," and the most effective I've found are Ingress Audio Rollerblocks which I've tried under ERR and HR-1.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roncagg
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/13 at 00:45:46

Thanks Lon I haven't heard of the Ingress I'll have to check them out. I wonder if the difference I find in the bass response between sitting and standing has to do with the room itself (very high ceilings, big open room on all sides). I'll keep trying to dial it in, it's part of the fun (and I ordered a superzen to go with these 4ohm speakers, hope it's enough power for them).
Ron

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/17/13 at 00:50:27

I found that raising the speakers allowed a bit more bass, but also changed the ear to tweeter height, which was a further tuning factor.

If your room isn't too large and you're not asking the amp to reproduce loud concert levels you may be fine, power-wise.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roncagg
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/13 at 18:19:41

Just to put some closure on this, I realized my setup was de-coupling (isolating) the speakers from the floor, not coupling them, which is what I believe the design calls for, to anchor the speaker and dissipate vibration.

But first I had to re-seat the M6 thread inserts put there by a previous owner, and then I found some better spikes (from my Snell EIIIs actually), that provide about a 2" gap. I sat them directly on my hardwood floor and what a difference! It was less boomy, tighter and didn't change as much when I varied my listening height. So I had it the wrong way around and going back to basics seems to have brought out the best (with a Red Wine Audio 30.2, not the superzen... yet).

Thanks for your input.
Ron

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/17/13 at 21:17:13

Good news!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print