Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:56:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How is the Taboo with speakers (Read 7173 times)
DougK
Seasoned Member

How is the Taboo with speakers
02/14/13 at 13:10:42

There has been a lot of discussion on this site about the Taboo with the LCD-2 and LCD-3 headphones, but I'm in a different situation.

I primarily listen to my ERR speakers (93 dB, 8 ohm), but occasionally (early morning and late at night, once or twice a week) will listen with my headphones because of sleeping kids (or sleeping wife).  My headphones aren't great, AKG k701 (60 Ohm, I think).

I was leaning towards purchasing the SE34I.3, but with the new Taboo out, perhaps that is a better choice.  How is the older Taboo with conventional speakers, compared to the Rachael?  Does anyone have experience with this?  

With the Rachael I'd need an additional headphone amp for the late night listening, but I'd rather do that than sacrifice audio quality when listening to my speakers, since I do that much more often.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: How is the Taboo with speakers
Reply #1 - 02/14/13 at 14:12:06

I noticed in the specifications for the amp, the output went from 6 watts to 4.6. I don't know if this this makes a difference; or whether this is the rating using the 6P15P-EV as opposed to the EL84. However, it is sure that this thing has higher gain than the former TABOO.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/14/13 at 14:53:38

Doug:

FWIW, I am using my Taboo Mk II right now in place of my second Torii in my system with ERRs. While the Taboo is no Torii, it is plenty muscular to drive the efficient ERRs to pleasant listening levels.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
DougK
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/13 at 14:57:25

Thanks for the input; is it musical?  I guess my biggest fear is that the output tubes in the Taboo would be too linear in comparison to the EL34 tubes in the Rachel.  Maybe an unfounded fear, but a fear nonetheless.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/13 at 17:39:49

Fear is fear, I understand that. But is it musical? Um, yes.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print