Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:56:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
best places to buy records of high quality (Read 7642 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

best places to buy records of high quality
02/13/13 at 15:04:32

Now that I've decided to get the ZP3 and upgrade my turntable/cartridge I also need to upgrade my record collection. If you don't mind sharing I'm curious to know where and who you guys have bought records from and had great results.
I have many records but I've often been disappointed with the quality of the record/recordings.  
Thanks
JD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: best places to buy records of high quality
Reply #1 - 02/13/13 at 17:01:20

You can browse Discogs for hours. Every album, different labels. Hundreds of traders. Find the album you want and check through the traders catalogue. Shipping costs make it beneficial to buy multiple. Of around 40 albums I`ve bought none have dissapointed quality-wise. VG+ and near mint are just that. Added bonus...the ZP3 deals with minor surface noise and the odd small tick ( from existing collection ) very well.

I`m checking out Recordpusher at moment. Lots and lots of pages of new vinyl.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/13/13 at 17:05:02

I'm happy with VG and VG+ records and have been lucky with ebay purchases. I also buy from www.dustygroove.com --- their gradings are accurate as described every time for me. Though they may not have music to suit everyone's tastes, they have lots of records I'd like not too badly priced.  www.euclidrecords.com is another good source.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/13/13 at 21:46:46

For Jazz and Classical vinyl, I have had  good results with ebay and Audiogon over the last 12 years.  Purchased over 2000 LPs and ended up getting "taken" on maybe thirty-forty of them as far as condition was concerned.  However, It took some time to learn what pressings sound better. ...And I'm still learning.

Rock/pop has been much tougher. I find many, if not most sellers on ebay overgrade their rock/pop LPs.  I've had the best luck purchasing rock at local Seattle area Half Price Book stores...but that takes serious time and patience.

Mike

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/13/13 at 22:18:24

appreciate the valuable info guys

thanks

JD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/14/13 at 22:22:55

I`ve just bought on Discogs :
Quicksilver...Shady grove.. Vg..$4.50
Little Feat...Waiting for Colubus..Live dbl.mint...$12.00
Ry Cooder..Jazz & Borderline..both near mint..$10.00
G.Dead...Blues for Allah..mint..$15.00
Man...Maximum Darkness...Vg+..$10.00
John Coltrane...Tanganyika...Vg+....$4.50
Plus $13.00 ship
Approx £ to $

Happy days.   Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 02/14/13 at 22:35:21

marky, Ry Cooder Borderline is in my top 2 albums ever. Enjoy!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #7 - 02/15/13 at 06:49:09

I have bought most of my LPs from Amazon.
They have a great "no questions asked" return policy in case there are any issues.

For EBAY, I only stick to SEALED versions of LPs.
Private sellers tend to be too optimistic about the current condition of their used LPs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print