Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 12:00:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ultimate tuberolling part1 (Read 2180 times)
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Ultimate tuberolling part1
01/28/13 at 20:01:54

I think I found best combination of tubes for my setup

Tube testing is over. Ou guys what a journey I had!

Equipment I used in tests: TORII MK3(VCap), CSP2+, YARBO power.cords, BADA LB-5600, AUDIOCUBICS R-CUBE, DENON DP-A100, PRO-JECT: TUBE BOX II, DOCK BOX VI, CD BOX, ADVENT A4 rebuilt(VCap), Sunfire HRS-8, ULTRASONE EDITION 10 LUXURY headphones, Nuforce Icon uDAC2 Signature Gold Edition

Tested tubes:
As EL34: Fuller EL34G, Psvane KT-88-T, Psvane 6CA7-T, JJ EL34L

as middle voltage regulators: Russian CG16P (OC2)

as second voltage regulators: Sylvania OA3 NOS, Sylvania OB3 NOS, OC3 Sylvania NOS, Sylvania OD3 NOS, RCA OA3 NOS, OB3 RCA NOS, RCA OC3 NOS, RCA OD3 NOS

as input tubes: Mullard E188CC NOS, Valvo ECC85 NOS, Sylvania 7308 NOS (gold pins), Philips PCC88 NOS

as rectifier: Svetlana 5U3C NOS, Ruby 5UGC, Psvane 274B

EL34: Psvane KT-88 tube was the biggest disappointment used as EL34. With an overload of bass and treble. In these there was nothing good KT-88 with Torii. JJ EL34 was not bad, but the bass was too "dusty". Fuller was close to the JJ EL34 but 80$/ for a price you expect something really special. You will never believe me, but the biggest surprise in my tests was the Pavane 6CA7-T (90$/). I found a new musical instruments in music I loved/listened for a long time. The sound clarity, and rich detail amazed me, so alive sound! Why is no one talking about these tubes? Bring you to totally new sound level! I can only say that I am glad that I found this tube. These will remain in my system for a long time. If you can afford it you will not regret, would be your last EL34.

Middle voltage regulators: I tested only with Russian tubes, because my Tung-Sol 6X6WA NOS tubes (since 1962) are still in DHL. I will come back to these later.

Second voltage regulators: As I expected it was not difficult to find the winner. The best choice was the RCA OA3 (glowing blue). Compared to the OB3, OC3 and OD3 with OA3 you get much more and better of everything. Bright, rich and balanced sound. Not far from the OA3 was OB3 tube (glowing blue). The difference between Sylvania and RCA tubes are not big, but I still like the RCA more, because these were clearer sound especially vocals.

Input Tubes: What can I say, simply all listed tubes was good. I still decided to choose 7308 Sylvania  as the winner because of tighter bass and gain in heights.

Rectifiers: the overwhelming winner was Svetlana 5U3C, Ruby was again the "dusty". And please no one use the 274B tube rectifier in Torii, a big waste of money! Same result as using the KT-88 as EL34 is a Torii amp.

Conclusion: First of all I am amazed at how easily I confirmed highlights and the differences between the different tubes. May notice the difference right away without a longer listening. A big thanks to Decware! Most discovery in this test was Psvane 6CA7-T. I played a few familiar songs, and I immediately noticed the difference, as the songs were "re-mastered", I found the constant new instruments. Without Psvane 6CA7-T I can not live anymore!
Finally I found a good combination of tubes to my amplifier and the system. I am relieved and happy now Smiley I say again, this amplifier with my A4 Advent speakers shows the difference between the tubes immediately. In my previous tube amp Yaqin MS-20L the tuberolling were mostly a waste of money. No matter what you use the end result was the same: shit. So here are the winners:

as EL34: Psvane 6CA7can't imagine better tube than this...
Voltage regulator: Sylvania OA3 NOS (I may use OB3 sometimes because of beautiful blue colour glowing inside)
input tube: Sylvania 7308 NOS (gold pins)
rectifier: Svetlana 5U3C NOS

...and sorry for spelling errors Cheesy

1_002.jpg

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Re: Ultimate tuberolling part1
Reply #1 - 01/28/13 at 20:50:26

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Reply #2 - 01/28/13 at 21:24:35

More comments about Psvane 6CA7-T tubes:
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/category/review/6ca7-z-el34/

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/31/13 at 17:52:04

Hey edguy,

Thanks for the explanation of your tube play. Sounds like you really got a good synergy going with this particular set.

Don't know about you, but I have found sets where any of the tubes in the other sockets, say the power tubes, sound great, and change to say....the last input I had used, and have it not sound so good.

So I might not rule out the other tubes you have unless you plan not to roll over/in time. Often, if I am using nice tubes, I can just change the power volt regs or rectifiers (or both) to tune a set of current power tubes into synergy. I have some NOS RFT/Siemens (mine say Brimar) and I rarely use them. In the case of these tubes I found them a bit "syrupy" thickening and slowing the sounds a bit and with a accented (not syrpuy) top end making the balance a bit odd. But with some rolling, I did find some really nice combos with them!

For a long time I have used only cryo'd JJ6AC7 and really like them, but I thought they had a notable signature, and at first was not sure about them until I got a good set going with them. Found them fast once burned in, but a bit dense and thick with the other tubes I had in. Now, all burned in and having gotten used to their sound, I use them all the time and roll other tubes.

That said, I appreciate your input on the Pvanes. I will check them out.

Best to you.

Will

Also, I have quite a number of different power regs...and have only seen an orange glow on OA3s with blue on  a bunch of OB3s. I do have some Raythion short, straight-side OA3s (orange) labeled OB3. I assume this is a OA3 anyway due to the orange.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Reply #4 - 01/31/13 at 21:23:08

Will, I never seen JJ 6AC7 tubes before, I think I try them some day, but right now I'm really really happy with Psvane tubes. Can't imagine anything can replace them. It is crazy, never expected so much from Chinese tube..

My mistake, of course 0A3s glow is orange. For some reason I can't modify my review anymore to correct that, too many coffee... Wink

I understand that everything is about synergy, and every tube has own character. If you want to highlight bass you searching for tube with that kind character. But some tubes sometime may vanish sounds/instruments. With my current setup I have great bass, lot of details and pure clear sound. To speac francly, best part of this setup is how my amp manage wind instruments and bells.
Even I invested over 2000$ in this crazy rolling, still like i said, it was great journey...and I continue searching replacements for 0C2 and 5U tubes. I have ordered already RCA 5Y4 GT  and Tung-Sol 6X4WA tubes. We will see what happens then. I hope to get them tomorrow and I will write some words about result.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/31/13 at 21:52:15

I agree with all that will speaks of the 6CA7--great tube that I have been using through a few sets now.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/31/13 at 22:56:51

Looking forward to your comparisons edguy.

Have fun.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 02/01/13 at 00:51:49

Will,

It's funny how one experience/observation relates to another, even in a different topology context.  I have the same basic impression out of my NOS RFT EZ-81 rectifiers.  At first, I liked them a lot, especially compared to the original, same spec JJ brand.  Somehow, I gradually started noticing too much body/thickness intrusion, and definitely a perceptible edginess in the high frequencies.

Although I still like them with more laid back (smooth) drivers (i.e., 5963), I now much prefer the RFT EZ-80, as I find it quite more neutral and natural in the highs.  It blends with the tube set and does not stand out.  It also seems to have synergy with 12AT7 drivers.  There may be less of a 3-D projection in the sound they produce, but their synergy with the tube set more than compensates.

This, of course, in my Mini Torii, which nevertheless seems to reflect a similar profile from these rectifiers.  Interesting!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/01/13 at 00:59:38

Fire's comment on rectifiers is not surprising. The EZ80 6V4 is a little less strong than the EZ81 6CA4 tube that the MINI TORII is now spec'd. for. Recall that the MINI TORII was originally fitted with the EZ90 6X4, which could not handle a runaway power tube.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 02/01/13 at 01:54:02

Reading the M-T Version II literature, it seems the stock spec rectifier is again the EZ-90 (6x4).  Funny!  But, what is a 'runaway' power tube?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/01/13 at 02:03:03

A runaway power tube is one that draws too many millaamps for the rectifier to handle.

The mention of the EZ90 is a mistake. Try as they might sometimes the text is not perfect on these product pages.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 02/01/13 at 02:09:57

Got it, thanks!  Would this mean the 6V6, in general, is a runaway tube? Is it because it is a Beam Tetrode? Would this somehow explain the 'pep' (dynamics) involved in the Mini?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/01/13 at 02:22:28

No a 6Y6 or 6L6 can stress the 6X4 rectifier in the original version. The work around was a 7-9 pin adapter and the use of either an EZ80 or EZ81 rectifier.  

I had a runaway 6Y6 that took out one of the 6X4 rectifiers.

55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #13 - 02/01/13 at 02:31:42

Got it! Thanks RR.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #14 - 02/01/13 at 07:36:48

Thanks for posting your impressions.

This is a great thread!

BTW, there is a new PSVane Treasure Version 2 tube out now.
They have some sort of patented GREY coating on the glass now.
More details at the Grant Fidelity website.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/02/13 at 11:00:30

Lord Soth observed:
Quote:
BTW, there is a new PSVane Treasure Version 2 tube out now.
They have some sort of patented GREY coating on the glass now.
More details at the Grant Fidelity website.

I have a quad of these on the way. I am looking forward to comparing them to the Treasures that are in my Toriis now, that I also purchased from Grant Fidelity a couple of years ago.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Reply #16 - 02/06/13 at 21:06:13

Pale Rider, did you already get new tubes? Waiting your comments Wink

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/09/13 at 05:15:41

One of my Treasure EL34 seems to be dying slowly; I'm ordering the PSVANE Type II EL34 for my Rachel. Thanks for the heads up on these.

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/09/13 at 21:58:11

I guess I tube roll a little bit different than most, I switch amps. Huh

Amps
Decware Torii ~ KT77 p/p (12 watts)
Inspire Sweet 807 ~ 807 s/e (9 watts)
McAlister Audio SE32 ~ 6JF6 parallel se (15 watts)
Music Reference RM-10 ~ EL84 p/p (35 watts)
Phillo PA25 ~ 6L6 p/p  (25 watts)

Integrateds
Grommes PHI-26 ~ EL84 s/e Triode/Pentode (2 or 6 watts)
Grommes Little Jewel 6 ~ 6V6 p/p (8 watts)

I think I need to sell one or two. Undecided

Lin

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/09/13 at 22:49:50

And I was starting to feel guilty! Wink

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/01/15 at 06:33:17

Anyone using PSVANE tubes still?

I still have one single, after two failed EL34 Type II, and would like to buy a single from somewhere.

I am currently using the SED Winged C, and f'ing unreal sound, but want to compare the following soon:

Tesla NOS brown base
Siemens RFT
PSVANE Type II
RCA NOS 6CA7
Matsushita EL34 NOS

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #21 - 11/07/15 at 11:12:27

That would be nice to know, I wonder if they are worth to try, I am currently using a pair of Gold Lion KT77 in my SE34I.2.

Luis

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/08/15 at 10:37:48

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/10/15 at 06:08:10

PSVANE 6CA7 is a pentode after all.