Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:56:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The chicken, the egg, your thoughts or suggestions (Read 1519 times)
Nyvar
Verified Member

The chicken, the egg, your thoughts or suggestions
01/24/13 at 00:02:57

As a general rule I tend to plan in advance, and with Decware that and patience are pretty much the name of the game.   I thought I’d just check and see if anyone saw a flaw in my game plan.

Current setup is the CSP2+ & Taboo feeding DM945s and M8 sub.  The room is not a dedicated listening room and is, I admit, suboptimal.  However somewhere in the next 9 - 12 months I should be able to set up a dedicated listening room.  

The plan is to upgrade to the Torii III* and the MG944s.  944s because the room won’t be that large, and I listen to classical music, and have enough that music that goes below 40Hz to want speakers with adequate low extension to handle it.  

My plan as it stands, is to order the Torii in February, which would give delivery in May or June.  Given 3 - 4 months to break in, then order the 944s in June which would give something like and August/September delivery.  Allow another month or so for them to break in, and with a bit of luck by the time everything is beginning to come into its own, there would be a dedicated room to move them to.  

First question would be do you see a flaw in this plan or  reason for taking another path?

The second would be to ask for suggestions on burning in the Torii. The first 200 or so hours of  burn in for the CSP2 & Taboo was not entirely unlike listening to a guy whose voice was changing singing. I’m thinking if there’s anyway to connect both the Taboo & the Torri to the DM945 I think (correct me if I’m wrong, I’m fairly new to speakers guys), I could listen to the Torri, or the Taboo by simply turning the volume all the way down on the other.  

Please, feel free to roll your eyes, snicker, or even laugh out loud at that question before increasing my knowledge.  I won’t mind at all.  I swear.  

Thanks!

*Random side note, I’ve been in lust with the Tori III for a couple of years, and had always planned at some distant time in the future to upgrade to it.  Once I found myself reading about the tubes, and how they affect its sounds and printing out the manual, I realized that time, ready or not, had come.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: The chicken, the egg, your thoughts or suggestions
Reply #1 - 01/24/13 at 00:27:26

Nyvar,

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt anyone here would ever roll their eyes.

Never hook two amps to the same speakers at the same time, bad very bad.
The simplest way to achieve what you're wanting to do would be to buy a set of banana plugs, something like 091-1075 from Parts Express which have expandable tips as you are going to be changing them out quite often.

It won't take just a few minutes to switch amps if that.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/24/13 at 01:03:53

I have the Torrii with VCaps and have about 600 hours on it so far. Yes, the sound has changed and evolved but never for a minute sounded bad. I would not worry too much about break-in with the Torii.

IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/13 at 01:04:54

I wouldn't have thought of that anytime soon, but a great idea.  I have Decware speaker cable that term bare.  Making them easy to switch with banana plugs solves the problem in an inexpensive yet effective way.  

Thanks!

IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/13 at 01:09:34

"I would not worry too much about break-in with the Torii."

I likewise could say the Taboo never sounded "bad" more erratic.  From the get go there were moments of glorious sound, but then a shift to let's say somewhat more mundane.   Not worrying about it crossed my mind, but I also felt exploring options would be worthwhile.  

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/13 at 02:45:53

Hey Zygi:

What if the two amps are connected to the same speakers but are never on at the same time?

The original poster will be THRILLED with the performance of the TORII MK III with the MG944 speakers. I have this exact combination. And by the way, your plan is AIRTIGHT! Stick with it and don't let anybody sway you otherwise.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/13 at 02:54:17

Riverranch,

Thanks!  I couldn't see getting speakers before an amp that takes awhile to settle in.  To me, it seemed to make sense not to sweat the ideal space prior to the setup being "mature".  Once I have the space it deserves, it will be ready to bowl me over, a 2nd time.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 01/24/13 at 04:51:40

RR,

The amp that is on would still be able to "see" the other amp and transformers, no?

I wouldn't at any cost.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/28/13 at 19:23:40

+1. I have tried this. It is never good.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/21/13 at 17:23:10

The egg is hatching a bit sooner than expected.  I purchased the Torii 3 for sale on this forum, and it will be in house next week.  

I'm one excited guy.

Despite only having to wait one week rather then twelve plus, it's still gonna be a hell of along week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 02/21/13 at 17:41:18

Congrats! I hear you, waiting is the hard part. I'm waiting on another CSP2+ which is on the way, but I'm surprisingly calm. Also waiting to hear back from Sarah about a "Zen amp Stand" . . . bought one last year when they found three or four at Decware; hoping they have more. . . if anyone else has one to sell let me know!

I know you are going to love your Torii and another plus is: it's broken in!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/21/13 at 18:25:29

Trust me, the broken in was a big plus.  I saved money and waiting time, PLUS someone broke it in for me.  The only thing likely to better is the audionirvana upon hearing it the first time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 02/21/13 at 21:24:40

Won't be long! An amazing amp. I know you are going to be happy!

I heard from Sarah that there were 3 more of those stands and so one is going to be shipped out to me tomorrow. Awesome.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 03/18/13 at 21:31:22

First would be, greatest purchase ever, but you knew that.

However, I may have made a mistake, and if so what's the best way to rectify it.

With the ERRs up for redesign, and wanting some better speakers, from reading here I'd pretty much arrived at either Zu or Tekton.  Lo and behold some superflys were on Audiogon, new from Zu, and I got them for well under list.  Total score.  

Belatedly I realized they're 16 ohm, my Torii is 4/8, which would be fine if it were SS, but tubes from what I've read it's the opposite.  

So the question is:  can I drive the Zu's with with the Torii w/o damaging it? If not, what's the solution?  I'm not concerned with volume, and I'm using my CSP 2+ as a pre.  

I am feeling quite the fool right now, but somewhere in the problem lies the solution.

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #14 - 03/18/13 at 23:10:05

This is not a problem. In fact, if you asked Sean, he would probably tell you there are more 8 ohm amps out there driving Superfly's than 16 ohm amps. The volume might be a bit lower, but you should still have a ton of headroom with the Torii. BTW...how do the Superfly's sound with your Torii? I will be running the same combo in a few weeks.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
Nyvar
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 03/18/13 at 23:57:57

Thanks for the reassurance.  The more I read the more confused I became.  So I figured I'd ask those who most likely had experience.

They won't arrive until first of next week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. The packing material was delayed, but should have arrived today or tomorrow at the latest.  Since I"m east coast about 5 days to arrive.  

I look forward to comparing notes with you.  

Ravyn

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print