Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 23:42:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP2+ and Audeze LCD-2 headphones (Read 7946 times)
Genpattonjames
Verified Member

CSP2+ and Audeze LCD-2 headphones
01/21/13 at 18:20:54

Hello,
I have a pair of LCD-2 headphones and am very interested in hearing opinions regarding the match to a CSP2+. I really don't need the Zen Taboo as I don't need speaker outputs. The idea of also occasionally using the CSP2+ as a preamp sounds good also. I would connect a MDHT labs Havana DAC into this unit, it has 2.6 volts into 800 ohms.
My question again is would the CSP2+ have enough output to run a pair of LCD-2 headphones. I listen to a wide variety of music, jazz to Electronica. Thanks so much in advance for answering this!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP2+ and Audeze LCD-2 headphones
Reply #1 - 01/21/13 at 18:24:54

Your reasoning appears somewhat counterintuitive. The TABOO is being redesigned specifically to serve your headphones. Why would you not want to delve into this? I understand that cost may be a factor, but you might be amazed at what the TABOO can do.

I am sure the CSP2 would be fine as well.

I found that between my current TABOO and CSP2 the TABOO sounded better using high impedance headphones.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Genpattonjames
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/21/13 at 18:34:59

Thanks for the response! It is not necessarily a question of funds, more like in the Taboo I am paying for things I do not need, specifically the ability to drive speakers. In the CSP2+ there IS something I would use, the preamp. Your comment on the Taboo sounding better with high impedance headphones is welcome, however the LCD-2 is a low impedance headphone, 60 ohms. Thanks again for your response and comments. I am hoping someone here actually uses the LCD-2 with the CSP2+, or at least tried it.

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/21/13 at 19:41:34

The CSP2+ is just ok with the LCD2's imho.  The Taboo is better and the Taboo + CSP2+ is the best.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/13 at 18:57:36

I suspect setamp is correct. I run my LCD-2 headphones off both my Taboo and Cavalli Liquid Fire. When on the Taboo, it is fed through the Ultra preamp, and it is wonderful. Without the Ultra, it is very, very good, but the LF is better than the Taboo alone. I suspect that, while the Ultra and CSP2+ are probably a bit different, the effect of "riding the gain" would be quite similar. Don't think of those speaker binding posts as a "waste."

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/13 at 20:40:30

I think there may have been a typo above? The Taboo excels with low impedance orthodynamics and of course speakers. It has ample power and current for 50-60 ohm orthos such as the lcd2 and 3. Generally, few have found it a great match with high z phones (me included).

Skylab (over on head-fi) found the csp2 tailed off the lcd2's highs IIRC. His lcd2 was the 50 ohm rev 1 btw. He attributed this tailing off to its OTL design.

Still, the CSP2 is a terrific headlamp - very fast, dynamic and transparent. Might be worth trying with the later (60 ohm) LCD2 with its slightly brighter character...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print