03/29/24 at 08:05:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lucid Mode (Read 5108 times)
dminches
Verified Member

Lucid Mode
01/11/13 at 00:41:55

I read somewhere that Steve said that the Taboo doesn't work with single-ended headphones unless it is in lucid mode.  Does someone know what "doesn't work" means?  I can play my Taboo in either mode although I do used lucid since it sounds better.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: Lucid Mode
Reply #1 - 01/11/13 at 01:36:15

I do not have experience with the taboo, but I read this on the product page:

"It features a completely unique thing called "Lucid Mode" that can be switched in and out on the fly when configured for loudspeakers and is permanently engaged when configured for Phones."

Not sure if this is what you are asking...

IP Logged
dminches
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/13 at 01:40:36

Thanks.

With my Taboo I can switch in and out of Lucid mode with headphones too. I am wondering if I am not supposed to be able to do that.

Can others listen with headphones with lucid mode off?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/11/13 at 02:51:48

Mine can switch in and out of lucid mode while using headphones, too. I have a speaker cutoff switch installed in it as well.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Don W

Reply #4 - 02/06/13 at 14:20:35

According to Steve, who I've talked to directly about this question, while you CAN play headphones with lucid mode turned off, the harmonics are going to be messed up because of grounding issues. Standard headphone jack connects the grounds from the two channels. For whatever reason, this fact makes it so it is necessary to use lucid mode if you want the sound to be right. You can use a balanced cable hooked up directly to the speaker posts for listening to headphones with lucid mode off.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/06/13 at 16:35:42

Very interesting Don. I did not know that. I believe in the user manual, LM is treated as something you can choose between based on taste; this sounds more SQ than taste. Anyway, there is no question that the LM style of cross feed is sonically very rewarding for me. I have switched in and out on the LCD-2s, the Thunderpants, Terminator, and even my Jerry Harvey JH-13 IEMs, and no matter what, I prefer LM.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print